People who don't like Discworld!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 pm

raspberry wrote:I thought my Mam would love them- she loves sci fi (star trek, asimov etc) and lord of the rings type stuff. I was so surprised she didn't enjoy them!
There's just no accounting for taste!
Some people can't cross over from science fiction to fantasy my mam surprised me when I used to go home for a visit and I would play a fantasy dvd which I had rented or a film would come on and she liked them. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:25 pm

As for me, I LOVE Sci-fi/Fantasy, but cannot digest pure hard SF that the hardcore peeps love. If I cannot laugh out loud once per book, it drains me. Not sure why. My counselor would probaby agree that I USE the process of reading and digesting the books to escape the very, very, scary real world that exists outside of the door and in the tv screen.

I like faeries, and Empowered women and Thanks to all the gods I find that in the books I chose. Mercedes Lackey, Josepha Sherman, Elizabeth Moon, Anne McCaffery, Andre Norton and on, and on. Marion Zimmer Bradley opened up an entire genre of openings for women in literature.

I Thank Them With All My Heart and Soul. I would not have been able to survive without it. And to think it all started because my Dad told my mother to let me order books from Scholastic book company in school... Woot WTG Dad. Dad read ALL the time. He traveled during the week and did the weekend dad thing to save his sanity and make more money. I am just glad he found a way to do it without killing all of us. LOL I know that sounds bad, by my mom is a nut-job and was doing her best to make us fit into her extremely twisted "This is what life will be like or you will be beaten to death" syndrome.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:29 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Be honest though, if a book was recommended on this site would any of you read it?

To be honest, who actually "reads" all the posts on this site, especially the long ones? People might scan them, but very rarely does anyone actually read them and try to understand what the writer is trying to say.

Anyhow Dotsie, if you want, you tell me your bestest favourite book in the whole wide world ever, and I'll read it!

Don't forget, that the book you name will say an awful lot about the person you are, so are you ready to reveal that much about yourself to a perfect stranger?

Well if I may recomend books too :wink: 3 books I think are just epic and not Discworld:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov(features a very cool cat)
The People's Act of Love by James Meek
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby MattK » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:46 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:
poohbcarrot wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Be honest though, if a book was recommended on this site would any of you read it?

To be honest, who actually "reads" all the posts on this site, especially the long ones? People might scan them, but very rarely does anyone actually read them and try to understand what the writer is trying to say.

Anyhow Dotsie, if you want, you tell me your bestest favourite book in the whole wide world ever, and I'll read it!

Don't forget, that the book you name will say an awful lot about the person you are, so are you ready to reveal that much about yourself to a perfect stranger?

Well if I may recomend books too :wink: 3 books I think are just epic and not Discworld:

I actually liked Neverwhere more than American Gods. I could go recommending books too, but a lot of what I read is non-fiction, so sometimes it can get pretty dry. But The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan is a good read. Of course, that might be the dietitian in me talking. :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:07 pm

I´ve read Neverwhere and I liked it :D (haven't seen the tv-serie) But I liked American Gods more :D (Besides Terry Gaiman is one of my favourite writers)
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby bookworm 303 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:12 pm

To introduce discworld to all my best friends I gave them one each as christmas present. And now (8 months later) :

-1 has been read by one friend who had already read and love discworld's novel. :)

-an other friend who has already read one and liked it hasn't started it but I have hope she will really soon.

-my best friend who only like books set in the present of our world (no anticipation or historical or fantastic books) started to read it and he promised me yesterday what he would not start the last amélie nothomb's book (his favourite author) before having finish guards! guards! He says he thinks it is good for fantastic. (isn't that nice of him? :D )

-the 3 others didn't opened theirs. :(

otherwise I wore a discworld pin on my bag so all my classmates know what I like, some already knew and I tried nothing on the others
Last edited by bookworm 303 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm 303

Postby chris.ph » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:13 pm

the neotronium alchemist by peter f hamilton series is hard scifi but there is humour in it but it does take a lot of reading :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Cheery » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:36 pm

MattK wrote:
Sjoerd3000 wrote:
poohbcarrot wrote:

I actually liked Neverwhere more than American Gods. I could go recommending books too, but a lot of what I read is non-fiction, so sometimes it can get pretty dry. But The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan is a good read. Of course, that might be the dietitian in me talking. :)

I think we have American Gods... somewhere.
Cheery

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Read it!! :wink: it´s good trust me :D
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:I´ve read Neverwhere and I liked it :D (haven't seen the tv-serie) But I liked American Gods more :D (Besides Terry Gaiman is one of my favourite writers)
I don't know if it still is, but Neverwhere used to be available to watch on YouTube. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Sjoerd3000 wrote:I´ve read Neverwhere and I liked it :D (haven't seen the tv-serie) But I liked American Gods more :D (Besides Terry Gaiman is one of my favourite writers)
I don't know if it still is, but Neverwhere used to be available to watch on YouTube. :wink:

It still is :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MVDN2rSRyc
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:

It still is :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MVDN2rSRyc
Those two thugs (I've forgotten their names) remind me of Mr Pin and Mr Tulip from The Truth. The actor who plays the talkative thug, Hywel Bennett was in a pub I was in one evening. He was really miserable and I hardly recognised him - and he was wearing slippers in the pub. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:06 pm

They are Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar(sounds a bit Dutch Van de Mar or Van Demar could be a Dutch last name :wink: ) Bennet played Mr. Croup.
They do resemble Pin and Tulip but also the 2 thugs from Diamonds are forever and probably some more movie/novel thugs :wink: .

On lspace Terry said about this:
"Fiction and movies are full of pairs of bad guys that pretty much equate to Pin and Tulip. They go back a long way. That's why I used 'em, and probably why Neil did too. You can have a trio of bad guys (who fill roles that can be abbreviated to 'the big thick one, the little scrawny one and The Boss') but the dynamic is different. With two guys, one can always explain the plot to the other..."

http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/the-truth.html
Sjoerd3000

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:42 pm

Dotsie wrote:Be honest though, if a book was recommended on this site would any of you read it? If anyone here raves about a book I order it from the library, & I know Chris has read books I've recommended, but is there anyone else?

Me! I've read books recommended here and on the DW stamps forum.
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:36 pm

Good girl! See pooh, some people make the effort. And you are so mean! Obviously I'll putting some thought into my reply :twisted:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels