Black Covers (Sorry if this has already been done!)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby jaeger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Stealth covers Image
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby RJH » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:54 pm

jaeger wrote:Stealth covers Image

Huh?

they are at the bottom of the post :?
RJH

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:13 pm

SimsKatie wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:Yes they are bit bleak to look at not a fan of them.

It suits Reaper Man, but that's really it...
I prefer the original cover by far.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby jaeger » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:36 am

RJH wrote:
jaeger wrote:Stealth covers Image

Huh?

they are at the bottom of the post :?
Black covers . . . . . can't be seen . . . . stealth . . . .

As you say RJH . . . or perhaps some day we could talk about dark green and about tigers and the art of concealment :wink:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby meerkat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:55 am

Went into Waterstones in Hull on Thursday and they told me the new black covers are out on the same day as Snuff is released!
Their faces, when I told them I already had a signed copy ordered, was priceless! :evil:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:12 am

Ha Ha like it Meer, they are probably wondering where you are getting it from. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby author3 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:18 am

Their probably thinking 'what a traitor'
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby meerkat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:34 am

I have a loyalty card in waterstones, they daren't think that, Author! :lol: I have brought most of my Pratchett black covers from them. If they are jealous, they should get Terry to do a signing and then I'll stop nagging them! :lol: :evil:
meerkat

Postby feanor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Ayup All...

Just to Be totally Silly, Would the Black covers be for would-Be Assassins ? :wink:
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby meerkat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:51 pm

ok, I'll admit a slight preference towards the assasins but still prefer the watch!
meerkat

Update and some strange goings on at Amazon.

Postby stripy_tie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:06 am

Just to say "I Shall Wear Midnight" "Unseen Academicals" "Making Money" and "Night Watch" (out on the 27th) are now all available in the black covers though "Monstrous Regiment" and "Going Postal" still aren't and there's no sign of when that might happen.

"The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents" seems to have been available for a while but the print run must have been sold out because it's not anymore.

Speaking of the "Night Watch" black cover something very strange seems to be going on with it's cover image on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Watch-Dis ... 304&sr=1-5

Click on the cover image and you'll see that it's the cover art for the "Thud" black cover with "Night Watch" written on it. Compared with the original design below.

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170349109l/47989.jpg

I'll admit to being completely baffled as to how this happened especially as the correct cover art was originally in place.
Last edited by stripy_tie on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
stripy_tie

Postby stripy_tie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:27 am

feanor wrote:Ayup All...

I don't quite understand the rationale behind these Black covers. Unless they're for people who have 'Minimalist' homes and are frightened that their equally retentive friends will find out that they have a sense of Humour... or indeed posessions... :wink:

I 'Came' to Terry quite Late I think, read TLF first, In paperback, (Secondhand of course) and then read TCOM, then bought the next three or four, also paperback, and read them in order. The first book I bought in Hardcover was MP, and like that ever since. But in Kirby/Kidby cover. (ooh, Alliteration !) Eric's in 'Floppycover' (yellow cover.) Strata, TDSOTS and Good Omens are Paperback too. I just think the 'Kids' covers are more entertaining, and in the Spirit of the Stories... Same as HP. I read COS first, Then PS, then followed the sequence... But all in 'Kids' and not those silly 'Adult' (OOer !) versions.

Some of us just don't like the kirby cover art (it's ridiculously busy and doesn't seem to reflect anything about the story, more of an attempt to get every last character onto the cover). I also started out with the Death books and found the black covers through those and they went so well with the story and were so beautifully made that i had to get them.

I quite like to let my imagination create a picture of what a character looks like as well and having a picture of someone else's idea of that character being on the cover can prevent that from happening.

They look pretty freakin gorgeous lined up on a shelf too (as has been said on here) and it's just nice to see another artistic interpretation.

Also if a minimalist dared to venture into my flat it would be all i could do to prevent him from jumping off the balcony screaming.

Side note: As Harry potter was mentioned has anyone seen the new paperback signature editions? similar to the discworld black covers but a lot more colourful with a standard white background.
stripy_tie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:13 am

Thanks for the info, stripy_tie and welcome to the site. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Gman707 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:51 am

I have had some of my kirby covered paper backs go missing. I have recently moved house and i think a box has gone missing. I lost about ten of them, which is highly annoying. Thankfully it was only paper backs as i have all of them since masquerade in first edition hard back.

Are they stopping/have they stopped production of the kirby ones? because i would really rather like to replace them before they do.
well anyway.....
Gman707

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:23 am

Gman707 wrote:I have had some of my kirby covered paper backs go missing. I have recently moved house and i think a box has gone missing. I lost about ten of them, which is highly annoying. Thankfully it was only paper backs as i have all of them since masquerade in first edition hard back.

Are they stopping/have they stopped production of the kirby ones? because i would really rather like to replace them before they do.
The Josh Kirby covers are still the most widely available of the paperbacks and you shouldn't have any trouble getting them.

I don't think there are any plans afoot to change the covers. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels