Black Covers (Sorry if this has already been done!)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Welcome to the site, Mutant24! :D

As far as I am aware, the books don't come in hardback black covers. I'm fairly sure the black covers are all paperbacks.

And while you can get most of the books in black covers, there are exceptions. Eric was published by a different company and therefore will probably never appear in black covers. The Last Hero is a large format book with illustrations and there gain will probably never appear in black covers.

You can probably get most of the books in hardback, traditional covers, fairly easily, although probably second hand in many cases. Watch out for BCA (Book Club) editions as they are often somewhat different to the proper versions. The same story but sometimes a different size or cover format. And some of the early editions are going to cost the proverbial arm and a leg if you are looking for a first edition.

Here's a link showing the various black covers available.

I hope that helps. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby solemn_eyed » Sat May 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Teppic wrote:Was looking at the Black covers recently. Does anyone else think having the candle right there, on the front of Feet of Clay is an odd decision by the publishers?

I didn't notice until you said it. It didn't register with me before I read it, so I guess I'd have to claim it isn't too bad. Although, for people who are more alert than I am, it might be a bit stupid.
solemn_eyed

two new black editions

Postby Luke Spook » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Everyone, just thought i would let people know that the black edition of "I shall Wear midnight" has been released (1/9/2011) and according to Waterstones website a black edition of "Unseen Academicals" is to be released 13/10/2011.

Which is a tad annoying for myself, as i want to read them in order, yet as far as i know Nightwatch, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal and Making Money still haven't been released in Black yet?

I've had the three Tiffany Aching black books and thud sitting on my shelves unread for ages now, i suppose another two more won't make much difference, hurry up nightwatch!

Oh and my apology if this info has already been posted somewhere else :)
Luke Spook

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 pm

Welcome Luke Spook! :D

Don't think I've seen it posted anywhere but that's no guarantee :wink:
spideyGirl

Postby SimsKatie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:57 pm

The black cover for Reaper Man is superb. The Truth and Fifth Elephant are both good, but other than that... I'm not really all that swayed. The black covers seem vague and uninspired, and mostly clip art.
SimsKatie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks for the info, Luke Spook and welcome! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Emberella » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:43 am

SimsKatie wrote: The black covers seem vague and uninspired, and mostly clip art.

I agree. I'm happy to look like I'm reading children's books with the traditional jolly covers. :)
Emberella

Postby Macarona » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:28 am

DaveC wrote:I think all of the Discworld regular novels will be done, exept Eric - different publisher, Last Hero - because needs to be bigger because of the pictures. Not sure about Maurice.

Here's maurice:Image
Here's where's my cow (it is quite easily available)http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheres-My-Cow-Discworld-Picture/dp/038560937X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316154280&sr=8-1
"'I believe you were an alcoholic sir Samuel'
'No,' said Vimes. 'I was a drunk you have to be richer than I was to be an alcoholic'"
The fifth elephant/The wit and wisdom of discworld
Macarona

Postby feanor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 am

Ayup All...

I don't quite understand the rationale behind these Black covers. Unless they're for people who have 'Minimalist' homes and are frightened that their equally retentive friends will find out that they have a sense of Humour... or indeed posessions... :wink:

I 'Came' to Terry quite Late I think, read TLF first, In paperback, (Secondhand of course) and then read TCOM, then bought the next three or four, also paperback, and read them in order. The first book I bought in Hardcover was MP, and like that ever since. But in Kirby/Kidby cover. (ooh, Alliteration !) Eric's in 'Floppycover' (yellow cover.) Strata, TDSOTS and Good Omens are Paperback too. I just think the 'Kids' covers are more entertaining, and in the Spirit of the Stories... Same as HP. I read COS first, Then PS, then followed the sequence... But all in 'Kids' and not those silly 'Adult' (OOer !) versions.
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby Leia Tortoise » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:25 am

hi all!

For my part I really prefer the Kidby and even some Kirby covers, though I have to say I like to watch these other covers for their interpretations and the symbolic choosen for the book.

The thing I wonder is: who make these artworks? It would be interesting to have a glance at the other artist's works if there is!
Leia Tortoise

Postby SimsKatie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Haha maybe they'll do a black cover version of that.
SimsKatie

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:06 pm

feanor wrote:Ayup All...

I don't quite understand the rationale behind these Black covers. Unless they're for people who have 'Minimalist' homes and are frightened that their equally retentive friends will find out that they have a sense of Humour... or indeed posessions... :wink:

I 'Came' to Terry quite Late I think, read TLF first, In paperback, (Secondhand of course) and then read TCOM, then bought the next three or four, also paperback, and read them in order. The first book I bought in Hardcover was MP, and like that ever since. But in Kirby/Kidby cover. (ooh, Alliteration !) Eric's in 'Floppycover' (yellow cover.) Strata, TDSOTS and Good Omens are Paperback too. I just think the 'Kids' covers are more entertaining, and in the Spirit of the Stories... Same as HP. I read COS first, Then PS, then followed the sequence... But all in 'Kids' and not those silly 'Adult' (OOer !) versions.

I'm with you Feanor. Don't see the point and don't actually like the black covers they're like a poor mans version of the 'adult' Harry Potters
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Yes they are bit bleak to look at not a fan of them.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby SimsKatie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Yes they are bit bleak to look at not a fan of them.

It suits Reaper Man, but that's really it...
SimsKatie

Postby RJH » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Here are the images from the last round of black covers: http://bricksandbooks.co.uk/2011/discwo ... september/
RJH

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels