Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents Discussion Group

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Tonyblack wrote:As Sharlene points, Maurice says it's just a book about rats and people.

DarkTan, the vicious old leader is losing his power over the rats as they look to intelligence rather than physical strength.

Maurice says it's a book about rats and people. He is the puppet master, the power behind the throne, who can manipulate both people and rats, as he has manipulated you into believing the story isn't about him.

Tony, I think you could be wrong there. Are you sure it was Darktan?

swreader wrote:Why is he called Dangerous Beans?

As explained earlier in this thread, the "Dangerous" comes from the sign the wizards put up on the dump. Does "Sardines" have a meaning? Does "Peaches" have a meaning? Does "Beans" have a meaning? No.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:38 pm

You're right Pooh - I misremembered his name. It was Hamnpork I was thinking about. :)

Thanks!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:47 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Maurice says it's a book about rats and people. He is the puppet master, the power behind the throne, who can manipulate both people and rats, as he has manipulated you into believing the story isn't about him.

I think you've overestimated his powers a bit there. At the begininning he certainly gets his own way with the rats, although it's supposedly for the last time. But after that he comes to lack the strength of will necessary to be truly manipulative.

Probably the reason that Terry points out that this is both a story about rats and people, and a story about stories, is to show that it means different things to different people. So to you, this is a story about Maurice. Fair enough.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Tonyblack wrote:And the rats are trying to be people.

No they aren't. The rats are trying to be intelligent rats. If they were trying to be people, they would invent a religion then start slaughtering other rats in the name of their non-existent God, and rape, pillage and destroy the planet they live on purely for financial gain.

Spider acts more like a human than the changelings, probably because he was created by humans.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Dotsie wrote:But after that he comes to lack the strength of will necessary to be truly manipulative.

Um...the bit in the Ratthaus when he was sitting in the middle of the table, he was quite manipulative, wasn't he?

Um... the bit when his plan freed all the keekees was quite manipulative, wasn't it?

Those two bits are right near the end.
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:15 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:And the rats are trying to be people.

No they aren't. The rats are trying to be intelligent rats. If they were trying to be people, they would invent a religion then start slaughtering other rats in the name of their non-existent God, and rape, pillage and destroy the planet they live on purely for financial gain.

Spider acts more like a human than the changelings, probably because he was created by humans.
Sorry - wasn't clear. I was referring to the comment at the start about people and rats. The people were acting somewhat ratlike and the rats were acting somewhat humanlike.

I didn't mean they were actually trying to become human. :)
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:26 pm

I have a theory.

The longer the post, the more likely you are to make a mistake and say something silly. :lol:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:37 pm

It's called making posts too early in the morning before I've had any coffee! :P

Where as YOU can make mistakes on quite short posts. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:52 pm

lok no mostoks :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby kakaze » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:49 pm

The longer the post, the less likely it will be read. And, if read, the less likely it will be understandable.

I think the story is an analogy of human-kind's moral evolution. How people treat each other as the general level of intelegence grows.

In the beginning the cat & rats were non-sentient animals. They had no morals and would fight with, steal from, or kill each other without any guilt.

As their intelligence and knowledge grows, their treatment of one-another and other animals changes (rats don't eat each other or fight, cat doesn't kill talking rats, etc...). Eventually, the rats treat each other more "humanely" than the humans do (who are kind of backwards and dumb, and therefore less moral)!
kakaze

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:36 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It's called making posts too early in the morning before I've had any coffee! :P

Where as YOU can make mistakes on quite short posts. :lol:

That was intentional! :roll:

It was the same joke as Chris 2 posts above. I also spelled "mistakes" wrong and on the next line I got the grammar the wrong way round because I was talking about grammar. :lol:

(And I didn't mean "you" Tony, I meant "one" makes mistakes with longer posts - I've done it, swreader's done it and Jan's done it.)
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:52 am

I look at Maurice as a typical wandering Shane-type hero. After he'd saved everyone and every rat in Bad Blintz, his work was done. It was time to move on to the next person who needed his help ie; the Dick Whittington character at the end of the book.

In fact the 5th from last sentence in the book explains the whole manipulation principle of Maurice,

"If you knew their dreams, you could handle people."

But that's only my impression. What are your thoughts?

Why didn't Maurice stay in Bad Blintz?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:22 am

poohbcarrot wrote:
Dotsie wrote:But after that he comes to lack the strength of will necessary to be truly manipulative.

Um...the bit in the Ratthaus when he was sitting in the middle of the table, he was quite manipulative, wasn't he?

Um... the bit when his plan freed all the keekees was quite manipulative, wasn't it?

Those two bits are right near the end.

OK let me make myself clearer.

Um...what I'm saying is, Maurice is not the master manipulator both he and you think he is. He is manipulative that's true, but his newly found conscience lets him down later in the book, and he can't manipulate (or abandon) as easily as he used to.

I see what you mean about him being a hero, but you make it sound as if moving on to the next person was because he sees they need his help. Actually, he needs the boys help, to make money.

And why doesn't he stay in Bad Blintz? The wandering accidental hero never does. It's narrative imperative :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 am

Yes, Maurice certainly isn't The Littlest Hobo. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:12 am

kakaze wrote: .... I think the story is an analogy of human-kind's moral evolution. How people treat each other as the general level of intelegence grows.

In the beginning the cat & rats were non-sentient animals. They had no morals and would fight with, steal from, or kill each other without any guilt.

:oops: But we still do that anyway - so it's the guilt that makes us sentient? :x

Bloody conscience! Die! DIE! DIE! DIE!

poohbcarrot wrote:I meant "one" makes mistakes with longer posts - I've done it, swreader's done it and Jan's done it.

Only because we all care about the words pooh - passion is a dangerous thing *I just get these headaches tic starts up - again* :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels