signed discworld books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:06 am

That would be a.f.k.a! :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:28 pm

It's a silent F!! :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Its an acronym not an initialisation and so ignores unimportant prepositions... :P

OK :roll: so if you're that fussy - Arse Kicking Academician
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Ohnhai » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:06 pm

I got my UK Launch HB Masquerade signed to me with an ook! and then the rubber stamp
Ohnhai

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Ohnhai wrote:I got my UK Launch HB Masquerade signed to me with an ook! and then the rubber stamp
:D That's great! Like I said earlier in this thread, if you got a personalised copy then treasure it, especially if you met Terry at the time. These days he's not able to personalise them, although he's still managing signatures. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ohnhai » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Ohnhai wrote:I got my UK Launch HB Masquerade signed to me with an ook! and then the rubber stamp
:D That's great! Like I said earlier in this thread, if you got a personalised copy then treasure it, especially if you met Terry at the time. These days he's not able to personalise them, although he's still managing signatures. :(

Not only did I meet him, I fed him.

The cue was long and streched well out side the small book shop.. I got hungry and went for some chips... (damn good chips too.) walking back to my friends in the line I notice this small white bearded fella dressed all in black with a hat with an excessive amount of brim, and a scarf alking down the line towards me.

"afternoon Terry" I said " fancy a chip?"
"dont mind if I do!" he said, then thanking me he entered into the shop to make a start on reducing the line..

My ex-friend Simon who was in front of me took Good omens to sign and ended up with an isncription that read "Burn this book!"

Though if I'm honest the inscription I hold mot dear is the one in my HB copy of Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle. We had met up in Batista's coffee shop prior to the monthly Si-fi gathering. with the slight ashamed guilt of taking advantage of a friend I had dragged my copy with me to get her to sign it. She asked do you really want me to sign it? It's probably worth more if I don't. then upon asking me what I wanted her to write I said I'd leave that to her...

If you know Mary at all then you will know she has a wicked scene of humour.... :)

I now have a book signed to me that reads "To Stephen, in memory of all those wonderful nights!, Muwa ha ha ha ha!. Mary"

As I said, an OOK! is good but how can you top Mary's effort ?
Ohnhai

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:16 am

:lol: That's great!

Terry loves little presents. A Dutch friend of mine took him a pack of stroopwaffles - his face lit up. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Watchman44 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:04 pm

I managed to get "The Discworld Companion" signed by Terry and Stephen at the Jamboree. Terry wrote "To Chris, its all true" and Stephen wrote underneath " and meticulously researched".
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:09 pm

Watchman44 wrote:I managed to get "The Discworld Companion" signed by Terry and Stephen at the Jamboree. Terry wrote "To Chris, its all true" and Stephen wrote underneath " and meticulously researched".
:lol:
Tonyblack

Postby keith_art » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:48 am

At the 2008 DWCon in Birmingham we were at the book signing, Terry had just announced that he would only be doing signatures. Then the Con staff, Bruce, Pete and I advanced with my artwork to present to him.
Terry then graciously signed my book too, and honoured me with the inscription you can see here.

Its one of my MOST valued possessions.
and a hard boiled egg!

See my Art & Videos at http://bit.ly/affections
keith_art

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:52 am

:lol: I see he spelled Keith 'Kieth' - I always do that. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby keith_art » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:58 am

Tonyblack wrote::lol: I see he spelled Keith 'Kieth' - I always do that. :wink:

So many people do that. I dont know if the K confuses them, when they try the 'i before e' thingy. I'm thinking of changing it to K-i-e just to simplify matters!

(and its nice to have a typo - from 'the man' himself) :wink:
and a hard boiled egg!

See my Art & Videos at http://bit.ly/affections
keith_art

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:06 pm

Well I ordered the signed HB copy of Unseen Academicals but :cry: sadly won't be personalised.

I got JK Rowlings signature twice though - one of them was a letter saying she liked my poem...

BUT my most treasured signature ... (So treasured I can't find the damn thing now ... :lol:) Is one of Sylvestor McCoy ... The Seventh Doctor (and to me the best as I grew up with him I arrived too late on the scene for anyone else!)

And I got a personalised signed copy of an Andrew Taylor book called The American Boy but this is the American Proof Copy called An Unforgivable Sin GIVEN TO ME FREE BY THE AUTHOR HIMSELF!
(Yes there is a Pratchett connection here ... Charles Dance appeared in a Televised Dramatisation of one of his books and it is rumoured that he is playing Vetinari in Going Postal {according to ImDb anyway} And I love Charles Dance!)

So that is my sad list of autographs ...

BTW poohbcarrot - My mum Always Knits Avidly!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Batty » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:... BTW poohbcarrot - My mum Always Knits Avidly!

I had an aunt who used to knit jumpers. She never had a pattern for an avidly, though ... Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:16 pm

How do you knit sheep.Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels