Which Discworld Book is the Best to Read for School?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Which Discworld Book is the Best to Read for School?

Postby =Tamar » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 pm

Molokov wrote:Interesting topic... never heard of Lexile until now.

Back in the 1960s there was a book called The Art of Readable Writing, that judged books by the length of individual words and the complexity of the sentence structure, and associated that with an educational level required to understand the book. Some books came out requiring post-graduate studies in the specific topic. I imagine that Lexile is based on some such system.

Molokov wrote:Found Guards! Guards! It has a level of 690L so it's a little bit lower than what gordonfreeman needs

According to the site, individuals get a score based on their current reading level, and books should be chosen within a range of 100 points below that level up to 50 points above it, to get an expected 75% comprehension. So there ought to be some flexibility if the teacher is using it correctly. However, we don't know what the OP's score was, just what the teacher is requiring.

I did the search for all books by Terry Pratchett and the top three books in order were The Unadulterated Cat, I Shall Wear Midnight, and The Colour of Magic, all 890 or above.
There were quite a few above 725, but also quite a few below. The Amazing Maurice came in as the easiest to read.

I would really like to know who did the "analysis" to determine how difficult the books are, and whether it was done by hand or by computer. You can write a very difficult story using short words and simple sentences.
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 pm

1st time I've heard of Lexile as well.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby gordonfreeman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:36 am

Ok, so I talked to my teacher and......

I CAN READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very glad about it.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, my teacher thinks fantasy is the same as sci-fi. Wow.
gordonfreeman

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:27 am

That's great! :D

I think the Pratchett books are underrated on that scale. They are not just fantasy books. They are fantasy books in the way that Gulliver's Travels is. That is often treated as a children's book when it certainly isn't and wasn't written as such.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Yes Swift is a good comparison to several of Terry's books there is an inbuilt second level that automated scoring systems would miss. The initial simplicity of the words hides a deeper complexity that is understood by a knowledge of the literature, history or politics being delicately (or otherwise) taken slowly apart.

You can read Gullivers Travels as a childrens book but you get far more out of it as a political satire

Have fun with your project :D . The first book I studied at Grammer school in English literature was The Hobbit and my teacher for that had a doctorate in Classics ;)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Mixa » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Congratulations gordonfreeman! I'm sure you're going to enjoy it! And if your classmates (or your teacher) don't apreciate Pratchett's sublime complexity... Here we are to support you! :mrgreen:

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby gordonfreeman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:00 am

Mixa wrote:Congratulations gordonfreeman! I'm sure you're going to enjoy it! And if your classmates (or your teacher) don't apreciate Pratchett's sublime complexity... Here we are to support you! :mrgreen:

Mx

Thanks! And actually, I convinced my friend to start the Discworld series.He's doing Pyramids for his report, and he says he's enjoying it so far. :D
P.S. I'm halfway through Guards! Guards!- GREAT BOOK
gordonfreeman

Postby gordonfreeman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:59 am

Finished the book!!!!! It was hilarious- the first TP book that really made me laugh. Now off to do my report.... :lol:
gordonfreeman

Postby Mixa » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:02 pm

I’m glad you liked it! :mrgreen: I also convinced my English teacher to start with G!G! and she loved it! Now she’s going through “Men at arms” and is enjoying it even more.

I recommend to you to do the same… Continue with the Watch series because
it gets better book by book!

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Previous

Return to Discworld novels