Mark Reads Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Mark Reads Discworld

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:30 am

I just assumed that all the American versions had the same changes and let the alteration pass, that's interesting that the Signet paperbacks have the English text.

Does anyone have the US text kindle editions to have a quick check to see if it really says that or if Mark changed it himself? He did stumble over his reading of that line so it's possible he altered it accidentally (he read crisps, stumbled and then when getting going again said potato chips as that is the way he would normally refer to them)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:05 pm

I have the US Harper Torch version in which it says "potato chips" (page 21). The UK Corgi version has "crisps" (page 28).
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:49 am

I'm not sure if this will work, but Mark has posted an MP4 of himself reading Troll Bridge at the Convention. It's around 42 minutes long and Mark is giving it away.

Watch the Introduction here first. :)
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:20 am

That was a great watch this morning during my first hour of work solo on a bank holiday..
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:50 pm

Mark Reads "Turntables of the Night" a short story by Terry Pratchett. :)

Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:37 pm

That was good :D

The Mad Collector

Postby MongoGutman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:22 pm

You know, this has become something of a revelation for me. Often when I'm reading I'm racing through the story because I want to know what happens next, and it becomes something of a habit so even when re-reading and I know what happens next I still blast through the book at break neck speed... having it read out loud slows the process down and I'm finding I'm visualising the story so much more, the characters, the locations and action, and appreciating the scope of TP's imagination to a greater degree than ever before. And of course watching Mark come to it all for the first time you can share his enjoyment vicariously - which I guess is his whole thing - and it's almost like reading it yourself for the first time again. Almost.

I forgot the Ice Giants were in Sourcery - indeed: I was not prepared either.lol. Wyrd Sisters next. Really looking forward to Mark meeting Nanny Ogg, wonder what he'll make of her... I can't remember, was Nanny fully realised in the first one or did she have to develop over the course of the Witches books... guess i'm gonna find out next week. :D
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:02 pm

I agree, Mongo. :) If someone had asked me where I would place Sourcery in my list of Discworld books, I'd have probably said it would be low down. But this reminded me of the first time I read it - way back in 1988 (Gods! Was it really so long ago? :shock: ) The experience of rereading through someone new to the books, is a real joy.

Nanny was pretty much fully formed in Wyrd Sisters, if I remember correctly. And Greebo was in there from the start too.
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm having so much fun with this right now and can't wait to watch Sunday's Wyrd Sister's videos!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:53 pm

The first three parts of Wyrd Sisters. :D

This is such fun to watch through another person's eyes. The scene with the witches at the theatre is still just as funny.

Tonyblack

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Nanny doesn't have much in the first part but I found it interesting to note that how we have two new witches, Magrat being the focus and of course Granny we know, but Nanny is just sort of there. It's her first appearance but she doesn't make an entrance as such, just sidles in and sits herself down. And how like Nanny that is and what a perfect foil for Granny - she's like the anti-Spock to Granny's anti-Kirk - if there's any problems they can't solve between them then the Disc is in big trouble! Anyway I thought Mark was immediately comfortable with Nanny, and by the time they got to the 'theatre' knew just what to expect from her.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby MongoGutman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:45 pm

Just struck me that the three gifts the witches gave Tom John are precisely suited to a great actor - good memory, so he remembers his lines - make friends easily, make good connection with the audience - be whoever he wants to be, be able to inhabit the role he's playing... just a thought, can't remember if it's remarked later in the book.
MongoGutman

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:16 pm

Anyone else getting a 403 error message for the MarkReads site?
MongoGutman

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:21 pm

I've not been able to get to the Mark reads site for a long time as my antivirus software won't let me

The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:33 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:I've not been able to get to the Mark reads site for a long time as my antivirus software won't let me
I have to select "Temporarily disable AVG" so that I can get on the site. But all his videos are posted on YouTube as well. He alternately posts two or three videos on a Sunday morning that then get posted on his site during the week.
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels