Least favourite Discworld book

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:07 am

To be fair, I don't believe that UA IS about football. There's football in there, but it's not what the book is about. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28930
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby meerkat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am

Acceptance runs all the way through UA, acceptance for what you, and others, are. It is parodied by the game of foot-the-ball and the acceptance of the new Rules.

I shall crawl away now and shut up....
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
User avatar
meerkat
Member
 
Posts: 13475
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Wilberfoss East Riding Yorkshire

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby pip » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:24 am

Wow Meer , that was deep. I'm a footie loon and i agree with you guys. Football is a foil for the story and meaning rather than the core . :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby meerkat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:26 am

Don't know what came over me, Pip! :shock:

(could have been reading Die Ditterssmertzkopfgeseitlinghaus, by Deiter Schmuck)
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
User avatar
meerkat
Member
 
Posts: 13475
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Wilberfoss East Riding Yorkshire

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby pip » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 am

That would explain it :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby TimBou » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Tonyblack wrote:To be fair, I don't believe that UA IS about football. There's football in there, but it's not what the book is about. ;)


Point taken - I guess I experience excitement when he starts writing about a subject I'm interested in... and I was disappointed in the way he treated football, not really sure why. Of course it may strike me differently next time I read it. Anyway I found it was a bit of a let-down compared to Night Watch, Going Postal, Thud! Making Money and Monstrous Regiment.

Haven't finished Snuff yet so I'll reserve judgement on that one.
User avatar
TimBou
New member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 am

TimBou wrote:Unseen Academicals - too slow and ponderous and I get the feeling Terry just doesn't love football so why write about it? There's still some good things in there though as with all his books.
Moving Pictures - fun but just a tad too silly and the central characters don't really engage me.
I'm still only about halfway through all of Discworld yet so this may change.

Terry does not like football at all, it was more about the actions of opposing fans and mob mentality.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14784
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby Evergreen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:57 am

Defintly - "Equal Rites 1987" ,dissapointed me a alot compare to Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic. I havent readed anything else since im new to Terry Pratchett books.
Evergreen
New member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Europe

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby author3 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:34 am

Evergreen wrote:Defintly - "Equal Rites 1987" ,dissapointed me a alot compare to Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic. I havent readed anything else since im new to Terry Pratchett books.

Really you didn't enjoy Equal Rites,what did you not like about it?In my opinion Equal Rites is one of the best.
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
User avatar
author3
Member
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 am
Location: Sunnydale Highschool

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby meerkat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Monstrous Regiment currently. I just can't enjoy it like I do the others.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
User avatar
meerkat
Member
 
Posts: 13475
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Wilberfoss East Riding Yorkshire

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby Paranye » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 am

I've never read a PTerry book I didn't at least like. Even the worst of them, I enjoyed thoroughly and would read again and again.

That said, if there's one I have a more... complicated outlook upon than any other, it's Monstrous Regiment.

There's so much in it that I adore - Lofty and Tonker, Nuggan, Maladict's 'Nam flashbacks, all the things Pratchett says about war, about theocracy, about men and women, about socks... 99% of it is brilliant.

But there was one thing that disappointed me - finding out that
Spoiler: show
Maladict was Maladicta. I can't really put my finger on why it bothered me. It's not that I ship Polly and Maladict; Maladict being female wouldn't stop me from shipping them anyway. I think I just didn't want to know. I wanted Maladict to be left ambiguous, androgynous, to never answer that question. I felt like a chance was missed, a chance to underline the point that a person's... socks, let's say, are not what defines them.


So because of that slight disappointment, if you put a gun to my head I'd say Monstrous Regiment was my least favourite Terry Pratchett book - but it doesn't feel right to call it that. I'd rather say that it was so good and talked about things that were so close to my heart that I had higher standards for it, or certain expectations that were not quite met.

As a side note, I loved UA. Absolutely loved it. I felt like it was a return to his "one shot" type stories. He's done rock music, films, newspapers - why not football? I loved his take on orcs too. I wouldn't put it in my top 10, but I felt it was on a par with Moving Pictures or Soul Music or Pyramids.

*edited to hide spoilers! Phew, that was close, I nearly forgot.
Expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.
User avatar
Paranye
Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:01 am

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby WolfLeBlack » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:42 am

Like Paranye above me I find it hard to choose my least favorite, but upon reflection I'd probably have to go with Nation. Not because I felt it was badly written, but the setting, characters and story just doesn't sit with me, and so I've never felt any real urge to go back and read it again.
wolfsgamingblog.com

Games Journalist.

All round geek.
WolfLeBlack
New member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:31 am

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby TimBou » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:33 am

Paranye wrote:I've never read a PTerry book I didn't at least like. Even the worst of them, I enjoyed thoroughly and would read again and again.

So because of that slight disappointment, if you put a gun to my head I'd say Monstrous Regiment was my least favourite Terry Pratchett book - but it doesn't feel right to call it that. I'd rather say that it was so good and talked about things that were so close to my heart that I had higher standards for it, or certain expectations that were not quite met.

>>>

As a side note, I loved UA. Absolutely loved it. I felt like it was a return to his "one shot" type stories. He's done rock music, films, newspapers - why not football? I loved his take on orcs too. I wouldn't put it in my top 10, but I felt it was on a par with Moving Pictures or Soul Music or Pyramids.


Great comments, II see your point about UA compared to Moving Pictures, Pyramids and Soul Music, especially MP and SM. He likes throwing the wizards in when he imports "cultural" stuff from our world like popular music, cinema, sport or fashion - despite being a bunch of old men they are also the eternal adolescents (just reading SM at the moment by the way - not too bad at all though a bit silly)! For me, where UA falls short compared to MP and SM is that it's too long and heavy for my taste. I love his ability to throw off a bit of light fluff like Moving Pictures or Soul Music while still developing his characters and the whole of Discworld in an interesting way.

In contrast, I loved Night Watch and feel that for me it's one of his very best because he got the mix of heaviness and lightness right, at least for my taste. The clash between light and darkness there justified some heaviness in the prose and plot, whereas I agree with you, the plot of UA is much lighter and for me the lightness of it got weighed down too much.

An interesting topic for discussion in future might be the "weightiness" of Discworld novels compared to the "weightiness" of the villains. The only real villains in UA I recall were the bovver boys who had it in for Trev and Nutt and I thought Nutt rather undermined their evil by beating them so easily at every turn.

I find it interesting how everyone has different favourites and least favourites too...
User avatar
TimBou
New member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby TimBou » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 am

Evergreen wrote:Defintly - "Equal Rites 1987" ,dissapointed me a alot compare to Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic. I havent readed anything else since im new to Terry Pratchett books.


I too found Equal Rites a bit dull compared to some of the others even though I thought it was a nice piece of writing too. If you enjoyed the first two books, you may find it interesting to read "Sourcery" as it brings Rincewind back and revisits a lot of the themes from TCOM, TLF and ER while, as always, also bringing in some fun new stuff including Arabian NIghts satire, the Apocralypse and two more "barbarians" (Cohen's daughter and Nijel the Destroyer).
User avatar
TimBou
New member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re:

Postby high eight » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 am

LilMaibe wrote:Sorry to rant about UA again, but even though I am more or less at oeace with the book now (doesn't mean I like it all of a sudden) there remains one scene that makes me angry. And I mean angry.

After the orc ran away and then came back to the UU and they get 'greeted' by Ponder we learn that Ponder is pretty desperate, near panic and rather scatterbrained because he has been unable to train the team in the absence of the orc.

I could have understood if the reason would have been that he couldn't concentrate on it or didn't had the time because of all his jobs.

But no. The reason he couldn't train the team and had them 'running on the spot' was because he couldn't remember all the things the orc comes up with!

WHAT THE HELL

Suspension of disbelief only stretches so far and, sorry, but I am NOT buying that Ponder suddenly is that much of a complete moron who can't think for himself at even the most basic things.
Yes, Ponder is a very unathletic character, but, f*ck, that should NOT keep him, who has worked out the rules, who before was able to list what the wizards were doing wrong at their play from f*cking coming up with basic training methods like passing the ball, running with the ball, goalie-training etc.
I am just NOT buying that.
Not to mention WHAT THE HELL ELSE should it be the orc came up with?!
And not to mention Ponder has HEX, who could very well check the L-Space for training methods. Or he could ask the Librarian about that...or ...graaaaaah :evil:

That particular scene is...I don't know, but I f*cking hate it. I really, really hate it.

Sorry for ranting. But that scene is just.... It's like reading about... I don't know.... Vimes doing policework like Colon would do in his really worst moments. Or Granny suddenly acting like one of the young wanna-be witches without it being a razzle-dazzle....


I don't know what book you are reading, but it isn't Unseen Academicals.

After the orc ran away and then came back to the UU and they get 'greeted' by Ponder we learn that Ponder is pretty desperate, near panic and rather scatterbrained because he has been unable to train the team in the absence of the orc.

No we don't. We learn that Ponder is somewhat concerned (Rather than 'near panic') over reports in the press about Nutt being an Orc.

About two pages later (that's how worried he is) he says that he can't remember Nutt's training methods. If you had paid attention earlier in the book you might have noticed that Nutt's training methods are a little, well, unusual (Taking the team to the ballet, sending them to study hunting dogs, playing blindfold........ Little to do with the mechanics of actually playing football). No wonder Ponder couldn't remember it, especially as he delegated the training to Nutt, promptly forgot all about football and went back to running the University.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
User avatar
high eight
Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: The Back of Beyond

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests