Least favourite Discworld book

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Archaeologist » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:47 am

Joining in the general theme of despairing wails as soon as someone claims a least favourite..

It's what makes the wheels of the forum go round and round. :D
Archaeologist

Postby David Brown » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:44 pm

author3 wrote:The Thief of Time was brilliant
It's in my top 10 although The Truth was better

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Joining in the general theme of despairing wails as soon as someone claims a least favourite..

What! Thief of Time is definitely in my top three, one of the funniest of the recent books

OK, I've re-read it, and it's a lot better than I remembered.
David Brown

Postby author3 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:32 am

Good.
So what's your least favorite at the moment?
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby meerkat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 am

Monstrous Regiment
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby author3 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:47 am

Monstrous Regiment is my second favorite after The Truth,how can you not like it
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby meerkat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:49 am

I just find it hard to enjoy. I had the same trouble with UA, but ask me in 5 years time, I might have changed my mind! :D
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:56 am

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Monstrous R.

I've forgotten about Thief of Time, so will have to download to my Kindle, so I can read it over the weekend at mother's.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Pearwood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:03 pm

^ A friend of mine gave up on the series after MR. Personally I thought it was decent though not one of the best (though a hell of a lot better than UA which was just plain crap IMO).
Pearwood

Postby Macarona » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Don't like equal rites
Small gods
witches abroad
But I really don't like eric
"'I believe you were an alcoholic sir Samuel'
'No,' said Vimes. 'I was a drunk you have to be richer than I was to be an alcoholic'"
The fifth elephant/The wit and wisdom of discworld
Macarona

Postby author3 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:26 pm

For some reason quite a lot of people dislike Small Gods but I think it's brilliant
author3

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Small Gods is one of my favourites! :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Sorry to rant about UA again, but even though I am more or less at oeace with the book now (doesn't mean I like it all of a sudden) there remains one scene that makes me angry. And I mean angry.

After the orc ran away and then came back to the UU and they get 'greeted' by Ponder we learn that Ponder is pretty desperate, near panic and rather scatterbrained because he has been unable to train the team in the absence of the orc.

I could have understood if the reason would have been that he couldn't concentrate on it or didn't had the time because of all his jobs.

But no. The reason he couldn't train the team and had them 'running on the spot' was because he couldn't remember all the things the orc comes up with!

WHAT THE HELL

Suspension of disbelief only stretches so far and, sorry, but I am NOT buying that Ponder suddenly is that much of a complete moron who can't think for himself at even the most basic things.
Yes, Ponder is a very unathletic character, but, f*ck, that should NOT keep him, who has worked out the rules, who before was able to list what the wizards were doing wrong at their play from f*cking coming up with basic training methods like passing the ball, running with the ball, goalie-training etc.
I am just NOT buying that.
Not to mention WHAT THE HELL ELSE should it be the orc came up with?!
And not to mention Ponder has HEX, who could very well check the L-Space for training methods. Or he could ask the Librarian about that...or ...graaaaaah :evil:

That particular scene is...I don't know, but I f*cking hate it. I really, really hate it.

Sorry for ranting. But that scene is just.... It's like reading about... I don't know.... Vimes doing policework like Colon would do in his really worst moments. Or Granny suddenly acting like one of the young wanna-be witches without it being a razzle-dazzle....
LilMaibe

Postby Australis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:29 am

MR and UA.

In MR, the female characters just didn't feel quite right. I don't know why, they seemed a bit forced to me. It only picked up for me when Vimes appeared. The main female character, whose name I've forgotten, would run around in a bit of a daze, then suddenly does something completely brilliant out of the blue... then goes back to not coping very well. There's a solid character there, but she needs to be a bit more centred.

UA. As I've said elsewhere, there's about 3 characters too many. That book should have concentrated on the foot-the-ball and nothing else, and put the fashion stuff elsewhere.

That said, I should read those two again, just to be sure.
I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of Heaven - Sir Pterry
Australis

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:39 am

Australis wrote:MR and UA.

In MR, the female characters just didn't feel quite right. I don't know why, they seemed a bit forced to me. It only picked up for me when Vimes appeared. The main female character, whose name I've forgotten, would run around in a bit of a daze, then suddenly does something completely brilliant out of the blue... then goes back to not coping very well. There's a solid character there, but she needs to be a bit more centred.

UA. As I've said elsewhere, there's about 3 characters too many. That book should have concentrated on the foot-the-ball and nothing else, and put the fashion stuff elsewhere.

That said, I should read those two again, just to be sure.
You mean Polly in MR. :wink:

One of the things I love about MR (and I didn't like it when I first read it) is that Polly is on a voyage of discovery about herself. Part of the problem you have with it is down to Polly gaining confidence in herself and discovering that she's actually very good at being a soldier.

The voyage of discovery thing is the difference between Going Postal and Making Money. Moist's realisation that he wasn't really a bad man and that he could use his talents for good in GP was fascinating. But MM didn't really have that. Moist was an established character and therefore the plot felt really flat to me.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: Least favourite Discworld book

Postby Ziriath » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:09 am

I do not like Unseen Academicals- for the reasons that have been already said. I did not care about the main characters and the story lines at all.
Vetinari drinks so much beer and doesnt get actually drunk? And likes to eat weird food? Seriously, WTF? This is not Vetinari how we know him and like him!
But it was nice to read about him and lady Margolotta together though.
Ziriath

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels