Least favourite Discworld book

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:38 am

poohbcarrot wrote:Hi Exp. Date, the rat

A couple of questions;

a) What does "Exp. Date, the rat" mean? I looked on the "explain your avatar" thread and didn't see it.

I am from Bad Blintz! Don't you know the great tradition of our Naming Ceremonies!

poohbcarrot wrote:b) Your signature is bugging me. It says "What a wonderful!" What a wonderful WHAT?

It is an open ended statment! You should just fill in what you think is wonderful and go with it! :lol: It has since been corrected.

In fact my whole Bio has been updated. Forgot to do it and kept meaning to. Thanks for making me get off my tail and do it! :lol:
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Oh dear gods! Just reread this thread and realise I've made a huge blunder!!!!! I LOVE GOOD OMENS - it's Small gods I don't like :shock: :oops: :oops: I must have been posting in my sleep or something...
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Least favorite book

Postby AgnesOgg » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:08 pm

I don`t like Color of Magic or Light Fantastic, I feel they are to busy being general parodies. Love Rincewind an TwoFlower :wink:

I read Strata. Can`t find much good to say about it.
AgnesOgg

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 am

Can't read the first two any more, I just can't stand Rincewind, Twoflower bores me, & all the characters I love either aren't there or are unrecognisable. Also I didn't like Moving Pictures but I can't really pin down why that is :?

But the first time I read COM & TLF they blew me away & started something amazing, so there you go! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 am

Pterry did say in some discussion that if he had to write COM now it would be a totally different book,of it's time it was magic and I still like it.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Strata's pre Discworld (and I've never read it so I can't comment either way) and CoM and LF are 'practice books' essentially and like WWD I still read those two and enjoy them from the PoV of it being interesting to see some of the later 'stock' characters whilst they're growing up. LF in fact has some brilliant touches - the bits with Cohen in them are inspired and he doesn't change at all hardly. But they're not as good as the rest 'cos Terry was still working things out and hadn't got into his stride yet - I think for me that was achieved in Mort and he didn't look back after that.

Wyrd Sisters, Pyramids and Moving Pictures were all excellent and (aside from being biased and nuts about Gaspode) I still think the latter is wonderful because that's the point where Terry's really starting to show his true mastery of satire in making his most astute and pointed pokes at social idiocy

I don't really dislike any of the books he's written that I've read, although Going Postal didn't impress me that much and so I'm not too interested in looking at Making Money (Moist didn't appeal much TBH) and the Feegles leave me cold more or less and almost put me off Carpe Jugulum. Certainly I'm also not fussed about reading the Tiffany books either for that reason mostly - but also because I'm the sort of person that goes the other way when told 'You MUST' do something... but I'll probably give in to the glowing recommendations some of you have given for those 3 books... eventually! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 pm

To be fair, the Feegles are much better developed and easier to understand in the Tiffany books than they are in Carpe Jugulum. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:but also because I'm the sort of person that goes the other way when told 'You MUST' do something...

Jan you MUST never read the Tiffany books!

Also, you MUST never send me a bagful of used tenners. :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 pm

I did like Dark side of the Sun and Strata you could definitely see the influences in the later Discworld books.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:16 pm

pooh - sorry no go! I'm also incredibly fickle, which may account for my other nasty habit of contradicting myself in posts... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jakindra » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:43 pm

I've worked my way through Discworld over quite a long span of time (which means that it's a couple of years since some of the books and I was quite young at the time, so can't really recall all at the time of writing.), so on the top of my head the first book that comes to me is Colour of Magic. I'm not even sure I actually finished it. I've never liked Rincewind (he's an useless coward most of the time/boring), and twoflowers didn't do much for me either. I'm watching the film right now tho (had to see it ofc). But I do love all the books that features Granny and Nanny, Susan/Death and the Feegles. Although I found the Tiffany books better in Norwegian than English actually, but I suspect this has more to do with me not being very familiar with English dialects when I was 12.
Jakindra

Postby Omnia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Out of the Discworld books the ones I like least would have to be Small Gods and Making Money. I just don't re-read 'em very often. I didn't like Thud too much at first, but it has grown on me :D
Doth not a penny to the widow outshine the unconquered sun

AKA g'nomi :-)
Omnia

Postby superfurryandy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Is Rincewind the least popular 'focal' character in the DW oeuvre, then? Must say I agree with most of the comments here about him. The first two stand alone for me, more setting the scene than anything else - other than that, The Last Continent would be the least good DW book for me.
superfurryandy

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:26 pm

I like Rincewind! :P
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby superfurryandy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 pm

There's always one :roll:
superfurryandy

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels