Witches Abroad Discussion Group

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:37 am

poohbcarrot..... not sure that Magrat lost at cards, think it was Nanny who was taken to the cleaners by the card sharps! But Nanny was holding on to the Groups cash in Her bloomers.... ! :D

chris.ph.... well that is a point of view, but I put it to you that there are many examples in real life where people do things ( for example Policemen ) some for the right reasons and some not so.

For example and quite off the top of my head I can think of The Good Old British Bobby and a member of the Communist KGB or German Gestapo.

All were or are employed to keep the law but they all have different aims... :shock:

so just saying,

Quote ..... sorry mspanner whats good for the goose is good for the gander...... unquote

is simplifying the situation a little.

But if that is your a point of view then far enough..... 8)
mspanners

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:38 am

mspanners wrote:poohbcarrot..... not sure that Magrat lost at cards, think it was Nanny who was taken to the cleaners by the card sharps! But Nanny was holding on to the Groups cash in Her bloomers.... ! :D

:oops: OK, so it wasn't Magrat, but she was with Nanny, wasn't she?

Anyhoos, the point I was making was Granny playing cards, which was funny.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby mspanners » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:11 am

:D Yes, very good when She busted them up, used all Her skills and Phycology to get some pay back... but they had to beat it afterwards as the conmen were going to pay them a visit!

Brave men if they think they could take on the Witches, probably a lucky escape for them that the trio of Witches decided to leg it. :shock:
mspanners

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:30 am

:lol: That Cripple Mr. Onion game was legend! PMSL :twisted:

*rotates finger in ear noisily*
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:23 pm

mspaner not a critizism coz i cant spell it but in the paper today where the good old english bobbies tasering somebody then punching him whilst he was cuffed at least the kgb punched them in private not on the street whilst 30 people with mobiles taped every move. blinkin idiots
yes ,i did simplify it but im crap at typing so it takes me ages todo long posts :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote::lol: That Cripple Mr. Onion game was legend! PMSL :twisted:

*rotates finger in ear noisily*

Begins to hum a non-rythmnic, odd tune, very quietly :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:32 pm

I did like the way Granny managed to make the rude bartender drop a glass that happened to smash the huge mirror - thus killing three birds with one stone - stopping Lilith from spying, the card sharps from using the mirror to see her cards and the bar tender to get in trouble for breaking the mirror. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Cops tasering a drunk........... yep I could have picked a better example or better timing but I will stand by my remarks never the less.

PS my spelling id turibbable has wehile! :shock:

No seriously there is a free spell checker available on the web call tinySpell that I use, it runs in the back ground and a window pops up when ever you make a mistake. No good for punctuation or CaPiTaLiSaTiOn.,,,//., and tends to put Z in place of S as per US spelling but is ok as it is free. :D
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:57 pm

id rather go freestyle mspannerrs :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby mspanners » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Ok mate just thought I'd mention the checker as it has helped me a lot.

I was hit by a car as a child (7 Year old) and it affected the way I see writing.. my hand writing is terrible I used to write words with letters mixed up or sometimes even reversed!

I did not see these faults unless someone pointed them out to me.... made it a right pain in the *rse at school and collage and during my apprenticeship ! Always had to double check everything I submitted with a Dictionary and had to type it all up too...... :shock:

Wish I had all this technology back then but 1977 we were using Log Tables, Dictionaries and Slide rules! My Brother Peter was a bit of an electrical genius and I can remember Him building a Sinclair Calculator from a kit... think it cost Him 70 Quid to build and could only do basic math and had Red Wire type LED display... :)
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Getting back to the discussion. :)

One of the themes of this book is mirrors and reflections - how do you all see this theme 'reflected' in the story? :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:28 pm

\o/ Guards! Guards! my vote... :oops: :lol:

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:30 pm

Yes, Granny is always turning them around and your reflection is ONLY a momentary "pic" of you. Everything changes when you look away. Plus, it is backwards.

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:55 pm

guards,guards please :) mspanners i was born dyslexic thats why i dont use spellcheckers so i can see and alledgedly learn from my many mistokes :lol:
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:33 pm

:) Post your votes for which book we discuss next on this thread please. And let's try and keep this discussion on topic if we can - I know how difficult that is for some of us. :lol:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels