Discussion Group?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:10 pm

......if he'd been reading it standing on one leg, with a hanky on his head and soot on his face, while whistling the hedgehog song.

Doesn't everyone?? :shock: :lol:
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:46 pm

It's a bit early yet, but start thinking about which book you want to discuss next. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Well we've had a witches one & a watch one, so how about a stand-alone? Pyramids or Small Gods (I like them both). Or we could have a wizards one?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:15 pm

pyramids coz i know where that one is :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Or Eric? Thats the nearest to an obscure Discworld book I can think of and it's hoopy as well :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby bikkit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:45 pm

I'd have quite liked to do theif of time :cry: . It is one of my favourites.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:59 pm

WeeKelda wrote:I'd have quite liked to do theif of time :cry: . It is one of my favourites.
We are still far from deciding yet - if we don't get a clear choice I'll put all the suggestions in a hat and select one at random. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:52 pm

:lol: That's the way to do it!

Having said Eric 'cos I haven't read that for yonks, of the stand alones I actually prefer Small Gods (of course) and Moving Pictures (Gaspode! 8) )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Cheery » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm for Small Gods (lol Om) :lol:
Cheery

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Eric works for me. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Pyramids - 4
Small Gods - 5
Eric - 5
Thief of Time - 1
Moving Pictures - 1

This is how it's looking so far - unless I get a clear winner by the weekend I'll draw the name of the book from a hat. :)
Last edited by Tonyblack on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tonyblack

Postby WannabeAngua » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Eric or Pyramids gets my vote. Doesn't matter which.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby bikkit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Small gods then. Theif of time after that though, and that's final :D

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Pyramids gets my vote. I want to know why some of you don't like it coz it's one of my faves.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:48 am

Pooh - it's weird with Pyramids because it's a really good book and I think it's interesting 'historically' as this is the first book where Terry's really getting into his best satirical style. By that I mean that you can tell its deliberately 'out of theme' and completely different to the other books that went before as there's no wizards, witches or even A-M except for the 1st bit with Teppic and even there he's doing his Assassin finals. So the Djelibeybi aspect is 'exotic' and it's really funny with the way Terry plays with time, religious observance and cycles and introduces Tsort and Ephebe in a more impactful way than previously.

And it has camels of course which nearly killed me as I happened to be on my umpteenth G&T when You Bastard first met my eyeballs and the spluttering was spectacular :lol:

Certainly Pyramids was my favourite Pratchett book at that point and by a long margin too, but there were so many great books that followed in swift succession that I think poor old Pyramids rather got eclipsed as time went on - I prefer Moving Pictures and Reaper Man, Small Gods and GG and Wyrd Sisters (although that was before of course but was also 'in the comfort zone' as it had the Witches so recognisably Discworld).

All down to personal taste again and 'better' and 'best' with Terry's books is almost impossible because the standard is always so high and each book really does have something outstanding to mark it as a favourite. I prefer Small Gods to Pyramids although they're both in essence about religion as a political weapon (well that's my take anyway) as SG does it more stylishly and probably because I'm an irrevocably lapsed Catholic so I'm more drawn to the issues in there and how they're dealt with than to Egyptian myth and cultural custom which I actually quite like reading about. :P

Remember you did say you wanted to know why - so there! :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels