Feegle pets?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Feegle pets?

Postby rorym97 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm

A thought occurred to me recently: given the regrettable trend for idiots to purchase dogs based on their perceived "hardness" or "toughness", perhaps Sir Terry could work this into the Feegle mythos? And I have the perfect candidates:
Robins!

Everyone thinks of them as these adorable little fluffy birds that are bold, fearless, and just a little cocky.

They're not. They're psychotic.

Robins are insanely aggressive at certain times of the year, and will attack male Robins so violently they've been recorded breaking bones and even killing one another! They've also been filmed attacking stuffed specimens, their own reflections, and anything that looks a bit like a Robin (sounds a bit Feegle-like....). Here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3kZ-NYXvbo

I personally have witnessed a Robin attacking an Eagle Owl! (For those of you who don't know, an Eagle Owl is a predator with wingspan of nearly six feet!) Now, whilst it is common for multispecies bird groups to attack birds of prey (this is known as "mobbing") the Robin in question was by itself!

I just love the idea of a Feegle with a Robin on a leash, struggling to maintain that it's a cool idea for a pet, despite the fact that it's just as likely to savage it's owner as it is to behave itself.

Plus, their temperament is basically the bird equivalent of a Feegle. Watching one sat on your hand, looking you directly in the eye, you just know it's thinking "Oi! See youz Jimmy! Whit ye lookin' et?"
I am Megabyte, I double-cross whomever I please!
rorym97

Re: Feegle pets?

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:11 pm

What a great idea! :D And having personally experienced Arctic Skuas, I'd add them to the list as well.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:54 pm

Wow. I wonder if this is unique to European robins.

We gets tons of them up here starting around April and we'll often get four or more wandering around the back yard looking for worms. I've never seen any of them fight with each other or attack anything else. Cardinals I've seen scaring away smaller birds at the feeder. I've seen swallows and crows attacking hawks. Blue jays will attack people if you get close enough. But robins? Not a one!
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Only the ones that have found the special Sheep linament. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:41 pm

raisindot wrote:Wow. I wonder if this is unique to European robins.

We gets tons of them up here starting around April and we'll often get four or more wandering around the back yard looking for worms. I've never seen any of them fight with each other or attack anything else. Cardinals I've seen scaring away smaller birds at the feeder. I've seen swallows and crows attacking hawks. Blue jays will attack people if you get close enough. But robins? Not a one!

This is a subject of great amusement between Sharlene and me as an American Robin and a European one are like totally different birds. I call the American ones red-breasted blackbirds and Sharlene insists (with tongue in cheek) that European robins aren't robins at all.

For a start European robins are about half the size of the American ones and the European one is a very common sight on Christmas cards, whereas over there you tend to have cardinals. :D

Magpies might good Feegle pets as well. I have seen magpies mobbing buzzards before now and once saw two magpies taking it in turn to attack a cat.
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 pm

I'll second the Arctic Skua Tony, vicious little bu@@ars that they are, but I have to admit the European Robin can be a violent thug, I had three males that each saw my garden as the corner of their own territory and the fights they had over who controlled which parts of it were quite nasty. However when one of them was there on their own they were lovely friendly birds quite often perched right by me as I gardened. They are also much smaller than the Skua so a perfect Feegle pet :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 am

I can attest to the disproportionate belligerence of Robins at matingtime,another good candidate might be the Great tit though :
(Warning quite graphic images!)
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1288538750341.html
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/2013/02/06/great-tits-still-flesh-rending-predators
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17749-killer-birds-bite-off-bats-heads.html
Besides the Magpies Tony already mentioned,Jackdaws might be the thing for the feegles with 'sizeissues'. ;)
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:19 am

whereas over there you tend to have cardinals.
No one expected the Spanish inquision. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:15 am

Most Birds are very terratorial, Wrens are even smaller that robins and they are extreemly terratorial, especially during Nesting season,But Feegle size i would reccomend the Goldcrest as i think it's the UK smallest bird. :D ( i'm not a boff i just like Birds....Feathered kind before we get ant comments :lol: :lol:
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am

Yep - the goldcrest is indeed Britain's smallest bird. :)
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
For a start European robins are about half the size of the American ones

Oh, great. Yet ANOTHER slap in the face by Europeans saying even our ROBINS are obscenely overweight. :D

Well, it's true. I've seen U.S. robins that could give some cornish hens a run for their money sizewize.
Last edited by raisindot on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 pm

It's funny - once I learned what an American robin looked like, it changed my whole view of Batman. :lol:

I remember Dave Hodges (Hodgesarrrgh) getting really annoyed on another board over the American version of a buzzard compared to the European one. Dave's favourite bird, Lady Jane, was a buzzard and he could talk about her endlessly.

European Common Buzzard

American Buzzard - aka Turkey Vulture
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Getting totally off track here, one of the main reasons President Thomas Jefferson sponsored the Lewis and Clark expedition is because he wanted to gather biological evidence to refute a long-held European bias that American animals were much smaller than than their European counterparts. All it took were some buffalo hides, deer antlers and grizzly bear skeletons to disprove THAT theory. Although it should have been disproven the minute the first non-Vikings stepped foot on the North American shores and discovered that nearly all the native Americans they encountered were taller, larger, stronger and far better looking than they were. :D
raisindot

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:11 am

Na! NA our Birds and Animals are smaller and cuter than yours, so there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alanz

Postby raisindot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Alanz wrote:Na! NA our Birds and Animals are smaller and cuter than yours, so there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That makes sense, given that your country is also much smaller and cuter than ours as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
raisindot

Next

Return to Discworld novels