For the discworld 1st collectors...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

For the discworld 1st collectors...

Postby jwsalmon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:52 am

Hiya guys,

From reading the forums I take it there are a lot of collectors among us, and therefore I come to you with a proposal. How about posting pictures of our collections on the forum (through photobucket or similar) and perhaps there can be come sort of weekly award for the best/biggest/rarest/most interesting.

What d'ya reckon?
jwsalmon

Postby Tiffany » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:26 pm

There's already a thread for our collections, jwsalmon, welcome to the forum too. :)
http://88.208.209.103/minisites/terrypr ... .php?t=237
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:59 pm

And welcome from me too. :D
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby chris.ph » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

welcome to the site jwsalmon :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

True Firsts

Postby primary_function » Mon May 25, 2009 8:48 am

Hi All
I have noticed there are some Uncorrected proofs on ebay are these considered the true first editions. And does anybody have a price guide for them before I put a bid in.

Love the site by the way.

Primary function.

DARK IN HERE ISN'T IT
primary_function

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 25, 2009 5:13 pm

And hello from me as well guys.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Mon May 25, 2009 5:29 pm

welcome to the site primary function :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Re: True Firsts

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 25, 2009 5:33 pm

primary_function wrote:Hi All
I have noticed there are some Uncorrected proofs on ebay are these considered the true first editions. And does anybody have a price guide for them before I put a bid in.

Primary function.

DARK IN HERE ISN'T IT
Uncorrected proofs are considered 'something else' I think. They aren't true first editions because they weren't sold. I don't know a lot more than that regarding price - we have a couple of members here that are much more knowledgeable though. Hopefully they can put you right. :wink:

Welcome to the site. :D
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Re: True Firsts

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 pm

primary_function wrote:Hi All

Primary function.

DARK IN HERE ISN'T IT
You would probably pay well into 3 figures for it depending on what one it was.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby primary_function » Mon May 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks for reply they are the early discworld books hopefully no where near 4 figures they would be nice alongside the Firsts I thought.
primary_function

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 25, 2009 10:09 pm

If you want to get a total for how many proofs were issued for eack book check out Colin Smythe site.

http://www.colinsmythe.co.uk/terrypages/tpindex.htm
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:36 am

Hi primary function.

I collect the UK proofs and have 22 so far.

I reckon if you pay less than 50 pounds for one you've got a bargain. Most are probably between 50 - 150. The rarer ones can go for up to 500. I've seen an Equal Rites proof for $2,500
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 pm

May I just burst into tears when I order a used book and open the package to find out that it is a First Edition, but a withdrawn Library book? :cry: :cry: Whaaaaaaaaaa! :lol: Hey, what do I expect for less than a buck US, eh? :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm

If it is in resonable condition apart from the stamp it's still a 1st and still collectable, by the way was it a discworld one. :?:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:If it is in resonable condition apart from the stamp it's still a 1st and still collectable, by the way was it a discworld one. :?:

True, it is a Discworld book and in pretty good shape with only the small pocket for the card and the withdrawn stamp on that page.

(Edit: It is Night Watch)
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Next

Return to Discworld novels