Top 5 Terry Pratchett novels

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jakindra » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:29 pm

I must say I absolutely love the books that feature the witches of Lancre. Pratchett's given them (Granny + Nanny) personalities that make them very enjoyable to read about. I just finished reading Maskerade, which was absolutely marvellous. My remaining four favourites are:

Monstrous Regiment
Wee Free Men
Thief of Time
Soul Music
Jakindra

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Very hard to choose my 5 favorite novels but here goes:

Small Gods
Interesting Times
Men at Arms
Hogfather
Going Postal
Sjoerd3000

Postby Cheery » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Sorry, I'm late: Hello and welcome to the forum Addams
Cheery

Postby Tristan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Extremely hard. I'll give it a try.

Maskerade (JUST LOVE IT!!)
Witches Abroad
A Hat Full of Sky
Lords and Ladies
Carpe Jugulum

;)
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:49 am

Welcome Tristan - I gather that you like the Witches then? :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tristan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:22 pm

How did you know? I guess you are using headology. :?

And yes, I'm a huuuuuuge fan of all the witches. I don't know why, but every time I read one of their books, I feel grate. They are funny, interesting, and with every read I learn something new. I love all the characters and... Ah well... You probably got it. But my all - time favourite is Maskarade.
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:27 pm

I most like Lord & Ladies - but I have an elf fixation :P Maskerade's great as well though - Greebo's finest hour in there! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Image My favourite is Witches Abroad. I love the scene when they are attending the play! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:47 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I most like Lord & Ladies - but I have an elf fixation :P Maskerade's great as well though - Greebo's finest hour in there! :lol:

Lords and Ladies is great love it that the elves are evil in the novel :twisted:
Greebo is also good in L&L

"In fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious." :twisted: :twisted:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Cheery » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:14 pm

My favourites are the watch books, especially because of Vimes, Angua, Nobby and of course cheery :D Still have to read most of the witches books :oops:
Cheery

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:02 pm

I think my favourites are the watch novels too :wink: Because of Vimes ofcourse :wink: but also because of Detritus and his Piecemaker :D (ow and Cheery too naturally :wink: )

I really like the wizards too (especially Ridcully :D ) so I can't wait untill Unseen Academicals comes out :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Cheery » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:I think my favourites are the watch novels too :wink: Because of Vimes ofcourse :wink: but also because of Detritus and his Piecemaker :D (ow and Cheery too naturally :wink: )

I really like the wizards too (especially Ridcully :D ) so I can't wait untill Unseen Academicals comes out :D

Oh yes, Detritus, Reg, Colon, Dorfl, Buggy... just all of 'em! And Sybil of course.

And I can't wait for Academicals either! I've waited so long for a football (or soccer)- parody!
Cheery

Postby malanur » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:50 pm

hello out there (...-well, sorry for my English, all serious grammar and spelling mistakes, you know, we german-speaking people... :oops: )
Since I am currently re-reading my whole Disc-Collection I just became aware of your wonderful page (nope, I never was looking for Discworld stuff on the internet, so there is still a lot, a lot to explore for me) and enjoyed scanning through the topics
well, UNTIL I realized that my every-time favourite wasn't listed at all (or, have I just missed it?)-
so I just HAD to register and vote for it :wink:

1) Sourcery
is still my favourite as Rincewind developes a wide range of surprising qualities and even reveals philosophical potential. At the end I had the strong feeling that deep in his mind he might have understood better than most of the others what "wiz(z)ardry" really meant. +all the characters always seemed extremely vivid to me. can't help it, Rincewind is a unique character there - and the book certainly has depths that make it worth to be read again and again :D

2) is Small Gods (because the idea of a thousand small gods waiting for their chance out there really impressed me ... or rather, made me aware of the fact XD)

and from there on, I guess, anything featuring DEATH - you just have to love him =)
malanur

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:28 am

Welcome to the site malanur! :D Your English seems very good to me, but if you are unsure then please feel free to ask. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:16 am

Hi malanur, glad to have you here :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels