Refresh my memory please

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Refresh my memory please

Postby Dotsie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:14 am

I've just finished reading Lords & Ladies & listening to Maskerade on audio. But the latter is abridged so I have a few questions before I get Carpe Jugulum out of the library (all my TP books are in boxes at Mr Dotsie's house in Cambs & my library didn't have Maskerade exept on audio).

1. What is happening with Magrat in Maskerade? Does she get a mention? Is she still trying to be a witch?

2. Does Agnes go back with the witches at the end to make up the third witch?

Thanks folks :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:37 am

Magrat has just married and become queen, that's why she's not going with the other two. They are, after all, going to the opera to persuade Agnes to be the third witch. And they succeed. Agnes does come back home a while after Granny and Nanny return, and she moves into Magrats old cottage :)
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Dotsie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks very muchly :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Nanny and Granny actually pass Agnes walking the 500 miles back to Lancre. They don't stop the coach to pick her up though... :roll: :wink:

I always get a little cross when I read Maskerade as I'd have liked Agnes to succeed as an opera singer. Nanny and Granny going to "rescue" her is somewhat annoying, but typical of them. :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Im glad somebody brought a thread up like this, im just re-reading Moving pictures and something i missed the first few times round :oops: Ankh Morpork has a "Subway" !!!!!!! has it ever been mentioned in any other book? I wonder if its something that could get included in another future book as after all i would have thought this is something quite important and very overlooked.
The_Discworldaholic

Postby chris.ph » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:31 pm

i never knew they had sandwich shops :lol: :lol: in ankh morpork
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:04 pm

The_Discworldaholic wrote:Im glad somebody brought a thread up like this, im just re-reading Moving pictures and something i missed the first few times round :oops: Ankh Morpork has a "Subway" !!!!!!! has it ever been mentioned in any other book? I wonder if its something that could get included in another future book as after all i would have thought this is something quite important and very overlooked.
I don't remember any mention of a subway in Moving Pictures. :? Can you post the context of the reference?

Interestingly, in Thud! there seems to be all the makings for an underground railway - including a Dwarf mine sign that sounds suspiciously like the London Underground signs.

I understand that there have even been A-M Underground Railway maps made by fans since Thud! :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:26 pm

I must say (with it's being Gaspode's first outing MP is right near the top of my faves list) I can't recall anything about a subway as in underground railway sense in that - and I still haven't read Thud! :roll:

There's the subterranean Moving Picture house of course which I think had tunnels going out to sea - certainly a fair way under the dunes...

The only other candidate is the Ankh-Morpork being built on Ankh-Morpork thingie, which was covered more in Men at Arms and in The Truth especially but others as well... :?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby TheMole » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:21 pm

:? Well, my good old PC managed only to find this bit:

Of course, it is very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing, fruit-picking and subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of understanding of this simple fact.
But Victor had a special reason for keeping alert.
He might make a mistake, and pass.

But I think you didn´t mean this one, did you?
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:27 pm

TheMole wrote::? Well, my good old PC managed only to find this bit:

Of course, it is very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing, fruit-picking and subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of understanding of this simple fact.
But Victor had a special reason for keeping alert.
He might make a mistake, and pass.

But I think you didn´t mean this one, did you?
Nice one Mole! But that really doesn't have to mean a subway in A-M - it seems to suggest generally subways anywhere. :)
Tonyblack

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Tony i dont have the book to hand its in the van but i think its on the bottom of page 49 of the new adult cover books but if im wrong i'll have to go and get it but im too knackered at the mo :)

Ok i got off my fat bum " not literal :) " and looked it is in fact page 41 so i was close.
The_Discworldaholic

Postby TheMole » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:09 am

:) And could you please insert a page of Corgi paperback?
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:31 pm

TheMole wrote::) And could you please insert a page of Corgi paperback?
Not me I'm afraid - I've only got a bunch of the Harper Collins paperbacks over here. :)
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Nice one Mole! But that really doesn't have to mean a subway in A-M - it seems to suggest generally subways anywhere. :)

I agree.

Either that or it could just be another word for underpass, where a public footpath or road briefly goes under a road to avoid traffic. I used to say subway a lot when I was little, now I say underpass mostly. :)
Last edited by DaveC on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:29 pm

chris.ph wrote:i never knew they had sandwich shops :lol: :lol: in ankh morpork
what about Dibblers mobile one. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Return to Discworld novels