What is The Great A'Tuin feeling?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What is The Great A'Tuin feeling?

Postby engineeringsimon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:01 am

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get a picture of the personality and mental state of The Great A'Tuin.

The best I've found so far is that it is looking forward to something and thinks very slowly.

I imagine that it is also feeling a bit lonely paddling through space on its own.

However, it has a world on it's back that is quite magical and should be impossible yet, insanely, isn't.

Does anyone have any ideas to describe the emotional state of the The Great A'Tuin?

Simon
engineeringsimon

Re: What is The Great A'Tuin feeling?

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 am

Don't for get the elephants! I wonder if they have any contact (apart from with their feet) to A'Tuin. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:43 pm

Ideas for new music? ;)

I kind of always imagined Great A'Tuin as the Ents in LotR: reallllly slow thinking, but, you know, not stupid... taking everything into consideration, I mean, he(she) the world turtle after all, he, or she, can't afford to make mistakes.... but I guess he/she doesn't worry tooo much about Life and Being and the Meaning of things, just concentrates on going ahead....
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby engineeringsimon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Maybe I'm working on something... Trying to keep out of my comfort zone to learn something new...
engineeringsimon

Postby michelanCello » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:28 pm

engineeringsimon wrote:Maybe I'm working on something... Trying to keep out of my comfort zone to learn something new...

:D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby =Tamar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:09 pm

engineeringsimon wrote:I am trying to get a picture of the personality and mental state of The Great A'Tuin.
The best I've found so far is that it is looking forward to something and thinks very slowly.

It may think slowly, but it can move fast enough to snap at and eat a too-close comet, which protects the Disc. Presumably it learned how to do that just after the Fifth Elephant fell, or the FE smash wasn't big enough to be considered a problem. Considering that it also didn't snap at the Potent Voyager nor the other launched vehicle, there is a size judgement involved - A'Tuin only snaps up things big enough to damage the Disc very significantly.

engineeringsimon wrote:I imagine that it is also feeling a bit lonely paddling through space on its own.

We haven't been told about the offspring seen at the end of TLF. Could they stay in touch telepathically? If so, maybe the elephants do as well, since they were present from the hatching.
=Tamar

Postby engineeringsimon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:38 pm

I haven't come across the Fifth Elephant yet (about to start "Small Gods"). However, the capability of snapping up comets is interesting.
engineeringsimon

Postby engineeringsimon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:46 pm

I've some music to go with The Great A'Tuin. See this post.
engineeringsimon

Return to Discworld novels