Scariest Villain in the Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Scariest Villain in the Discworld

Postby Sandman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:57 am

Hm, a quick perusal of the thread, and no one seems to have mentioned one that got to me: Trymon. Am I the only one that was unsettled by him? (not Tim Curry in the film version, who parodied the character terribly)
Drinkin', fightin', and snaflin' coobeastie
Sandman

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:04 am

I admit I hadn't thought about Trymon. I agree about Tim Curry's portrayal - he turned him into a comedy character.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Trymon really is a nasty peice of work in the books quite ruined (as were several characters) by the TV films
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby =Tamar » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:04 am

Trymon seems to be an early version of what later came out as the Auditors: grey, corporate, ambitious, lacking some significant element of humanity. Admittedly, UU was a bit of a hellhole back then, but Trymon wasn't taking it in a better direction.
=Tamar

Postby Margi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Carcer. Because I've met some like him. Not the psychopathic killer kind but the 'who me?' innocent kind who take you in like a hypnotist then spit you out and turn their backs, gloating because they made you believe them. Multiply that by Killer Carcer and the dreams don't let you sleep.

The scariest bit I think was at the very end, when Vimes arrested him, and Vimes had to remind himself how evil the man was because he could almost believe his pleas of innocence.

It just occurred to me that the book never did get to the next morning and the hangman...
Margi

Postby simmonds91 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 pm

I find it scary when granny weatherwax gets angry, it doesnt bear thinking her going to the bad....
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Sandman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 am

The Summoning Dark?

And as simmonds91 mentioned Granny, what about Sam Vimes? I mean, that part in Thud when he's lost under Koom Valley and is killing dwarfs to Where's My Cow... That sent chills up/down/all around my spine.
Drinkin', fightin', and snaflin' coobeastie
Sandman

Postby Danielcraigsurfer » Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 pm

I always thought that it was the Cunning Man, because of his potential. I mean, if Tiffany hadn't burnt Macintosh to death, or he'd spent some time infecting the rest of the Discworld, then all witches could have been destroyed. Or if Mistress Weatherwax hadn't beaten him when she was but a spog. Without her, practically every averted threat to the Discworld wouldn't have been averted.
Danielcraigsurfer

Postby =Tamar » Mon May 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Margi wrote:Carcer. [SNIP] The scariest bit I think was at the very end, when Vimes arrested him, and Vimes had to remind himself how evil the man was because he could almost believe his pleas of innocence.
It just occurred to me that the book never did get to the next morning and the hangman...

Fortunately, Vetinari was there and heard the whole encounter. Not only that, Vetinari remembered what went on in the original era and thus was updated on what part Carcer had to do with it. I think we can trust that Vetinari did in fact make sure Carcer was hanged.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Danielcraigsurfer wrote:I always thought that it was the Cunning Man, because of his potential. I mean, if Tiffany hadn't burnt Macintosh to death, or he'd spent some time infecting the rest of the Discworld, then all witches could have been destroyed. Or if Mistress Weatherwax hadn't beaten him when she was but a spog. Without her, practically every averted threat to the Discworld wouldn't have been averted.

Welcome to the site! :D
Tonyblack

Postby Margi » Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 pm

=Tamar wrote:
Margi wrote:Carcer. [SNIP] The scariest bit I think was at the very end, when Vimes arrested him, and Vimes had to remind himself how evil the man was because he could almost believe his pleas of innocence.

Fortunately, Vetinari was there and heard the whole encounter. Not only that, Vetinari remembered what went on in the original era and thus was updated on what part Carcer had to do with it. I think we can trust that Vetinari did in fact make sure Carcer was hanged.

Ah yes! But he's a cunning, conniving, etc etc who might find an accomplice to let him go overnight! Just wondering if Sir Terry left an opening for more Carcer.
Margi

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Yes! he was a nasty piece of work that you would not like to meet in an alley dark or otherwise.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Although carcer for sure will have been hanged I still dont like how the book ended, id like it put on paper, black and white that carcer did indeed hang, after everything he did, how everything turned out for the night watch and john keel id have liked to see the with my own (minds) eyes that he got punished, something like "and he was taken to justice and vimes got on with his life" really doesnt do anything for me, he might aswell have not been captured and the book ended like that.
And the ending really was sad, I mean I nearly shed a tear and for the book to end like that... I felt like I was in a car going full pelt and hitting an invisible tree.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Some things are best left unsaid. It's not in Terry's nature to describe an execution, thank the gods.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 pm

I don't think the execution would have added anything. The fact that Vimes didn't butcher Carcer on the spot, but handed him over for trial is right and proper. One of the themes of the book is sticking to the meaning of the law and not using it for personal gain. One of the lessons Sam tried to drive into young Sam was that the law comes above whoever happens to be the ruler and whatever their personal goals are.

So Sam Vimes did his job. He caught his man and handed him over to be judged and ultimately executed. His role as policeman ended at that point.

When you are watching a TV cop show, you see the cops catch the bad guy and that's it (generally). We don't see that bad guy in court or sentenced, or what happens to them in prison, because that's nothing to do with the cop show. :)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels