The Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Discworld

Postby allenre » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the image of the Discworld itself is taken from the back cover of Santana's third (eponymous) album from 1971 (usually referred to as Santana III)? Take a look at the lower left corner of the picture; it's identical.
allenre

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Nicely spotted allenre! :D

Here's the inside cover from Santana III

And here's a close of of the section (complete with elelphants:

I don't have that particular album, but that looks more like a tortoise than a turtle. :lol:

The idea of a flat world on the back of elephants which is in turn carried on the back of a turtle or tortoise is not Terry's originally. It is an image taht has been used for a long time and in several cultures, I believe.

Thaks for pointing that out and welcome to the forum! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 pm

It comes from the early middle ages before Columbus sailed the world. Every one thought there was an edge to the world.

I dread to think what happened to all the little fishes!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Have a look at this site and these images:

The snake seems to be a relevant part of the myth as well. But Terry seesm to have done without it. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby WannabeAngua » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:09 pm

The snake could be Midgardsormen, or Jörmungandr as I think it's called on wikipedia, that coils itself around the world.
When the final battle between good and evil comes this worm is supposed to get killed, and mortally wound, the thunder making god Thor.

The worm also got two siblings, one is the god of the underworld called Hel, and the other is a giant wolf called Fenrir.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:34 pm

The snake and the turtles/ellies are (so far as I know) from different cultures/mythology and I haven't seen the two combined anywhere 'reliable' before...

The 2 tail-eating serpents (sometimes called an Ouroboros) as WA says are from Norse mythology (the scandinavian creation myths also feature a giant tree - ash I think).

The turtle/elephant/disc originates in the Orient (where they have elephants of course as well as turtles) and I think it's probably Hindu in origin, although I believe the Japanese myths have turtle gods or demons - no doubt Pooh can help us out there :) . The article Tony's given us also points at the Chinese and Native Americans having turtle mythology - so a popular allegorical animal-deity worldwide :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Return to Discworld novels