Vetinari

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Vetinari

Postby Ziriath » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks! I love that episode! :)
That Project was mentioned once again in Unseen Academicals.
Ziriath

Postby raisindot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:08 am

Tonyblack wrote:The 'underground' idea was sort of hinted at in Thud! but no mention of it has been made since...
Maybe we'll hear more of it again. :D

Actually, financing exploration and development of the Underground is one of the main reasons why Vetinari wants Moist to run the bank and Royal Mint in Making Money, and Harry King borrows money from the bank to finance his own share in the project.
raisindot

Postby Danny B » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:30 pm

raisindot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:The 'underground' idea was sort of hinted at in Thud! but no mention of it has been made since...
Maybe we'll hear more of it again. :D

Actually, financing exploration and development of the Underground is one of the main reasons why Vetinari wants Moist to run the bank and Royal Mint in Making Money, and Harry King borrows money from the bank to finance his own share in the project.

Wild guess time... Could the much foreshadowed, but never explicitly described, 'Undertaking' actually be the name of the Tube/Metro-esque public transport system? It fits nicely with Leonard of Quirm's (the obvious choice for the designer on such a project), way of naming things; you know, a corruption of something like 'Underground Taking People to Other Places System'.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Given that they already have the tunnels pretty much in place it would seem to be a logical developement
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby TiffanyAching » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't think anyone else *Should* take over, but I think he'd name Moist VonLipwig as his succesor as he would be crooked enough to keep the city in order ;)
It won't last - he's gay and she's an alien.
Christoper Eccleston in D.Who

Sherlock: We agreed it yesterday.
Watson: I wasn't even at home yesterday. I was in Dublin.
Sherlock: It's hardly my fault you weren't listening.
:)
TiffanyAching

Postby Oberon » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:36 pm

TiffanyAching wrote:I don't think anyone else *Should* take over, but I think he'd name Moist VonLipwig as his succesor as he would be crooked enough to keep the city in order ;)

You might have a good point there Tiffany. Welcome to the forum from a another newbie. :text-welcomewave:
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” (Terry Pratchett).
Oberon

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:27 am

I nearly missed you there! :D

Welcome to the site, TiffanyAching! ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby stripy_tie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:38 am

Welcome.
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:05 am

As above. :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby alicenanjing » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Welcome. Nice to hear from one of my favourite characters ever.
alicenanjing

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:06 pm

From the recent interview with Terry in Writing Magazine:

At one point as we were working on Snuff, my editor said to me "You know, usually in a career like yours, round about now would be the time that you would kill off a major character" and I said "Says who?"

What, that's a reason for killing a major character? That's insane. If I really thought a major character needed to be killed, then they could be killed, but at the moment I don't see any reason why I should.

Copies of this interview can still be obtained by PMing me!! ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby alicenanjing » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Oberon wrote:As has already been mentioned I can't see Sir Terry killing off such a marvelous character and since Vetinari is probably in his mid to late fifties the problem is not likely to come up for some time (especially since the Assasins Guild won't accept a contract on him). Of course if Havelock was worried about encroaching mortality I'm sure Lady Margolotta would be delighted to "turn" her dear friend. Besides he's just the sort of personality to go the zombie route (if only to annoy the hell out of his rivals).

If you do want the name of a possible successor may I suggest Grace Speaker, the pet shop owner who The Patrician suspects is secretly the compiler of the Ankh-Morpork Times crossword. As Vetinary himself suggested in "SNUFF" a woman of her intelligence is unlikley to remain satisfied with running a pet shop and has consequently placed her under observation.

This is a great idea! Vetinari certainly has a great regard for her intelligence and deviousness. I just hope she's not the shy type that can't step out in the open and show what she's capable of unless it's under the mantle of anonymity or a false name. Sort of a Cyrano de Bergerac situation. Otherwise, why not let people know who's writing the crossword puzzles?
'Cos if she is... well, you can't step into a meeting with the Guild leaders and blush to your knees and go "um, er, uh..." with your voice trembling all over the place... they'll eat you alive!
As fot the Vampire Vetinari idea: are we absolutely, 100% sure he isn't one already? I mean, I remember a book in which Sam Vimes was wondering if Vetinari ever slept. I know that we have occasionally seen him eat and drink, but Black Ribboners eat also, don't they? Just a thought...
alicenanjing

Postby Ziriath » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Angua and other werewolves would recognize it. But I think she would not say it to anyone, cos there's no reason for it, and he gave her a good job. Yes, I agree he already can be a vampire.
Ziriath

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:From the recent interview with Terry in Writing Magazine:

[size=150][i]At one point as we were working on Snuff, my editor said to me "You know, usually in a career like yours, round about now would be the time that you would kill off a major character" and I said "Says who?"

What a totally stupid thing for an editor to say. Especially to a writer who is in the latter stages of his career and is struggling to remain consistent with the characters he has.
raisindot

Postby prajuvikas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 am

Nutt for Patrician!
Yes We Can!
:D
prajuvikas

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels