Vetinari

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby alicenanjing » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Hello everybody, I see some people know what I mean about Moist von Lipwig. Sometimes I wonder if he isn't being trained already for the top job in town, the way Vetinari watches his progress and keeps giving him tricky jobs to do. And he's one character who wouldn't find the stress too much; he needs danger t feel alive.
But the thing is, I wasn't envisioning an Ankh-Morpork without Vetinari, but anticipating a book in which Vetinari would be the main character - him and his surprise pupil, the ace in his sleeve, his bonsai mountain, so to speak - and, not to mix metaphors, it would have to be a mountain that thinks it's ten thousand feet high and has real live glaciers, and lives in a real mountain chain, instead of in someone's flower pot with an ice cube on top. Wouldn't that be an eyeful!
alicenanjing

Postby Australis » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi alicenanjing! :)

I have a theory: Young Sam. Has the meeting, greeting and talking thing down really well, descended from the aristocracy and and one of 'the people'. He'd has the good influence of both parents.

There y' go. :)
I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of Heaven - Sir Pterry
Australis

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Do we know that Vetinari is getting on? I always see him as 45 - ish - so good for at least another thirty years by which time who knows?

I suspect that he has a son or daughter (or several) tucked away and in training ...
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 pm

According to Nightwatch he's around the same age as Vimes - maybe a few years older at most so yeah, early 50s tops :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Re: Vetinari

Postby alicenanjing » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Young Sam! That's a great idea. Of course, stepping in Vetinari's shoes would rather ruin the lad's sunny disposition, but he definitely has the brains for the job, and having the discworld's greatest cynic for a father makes for a very good training for what is to come. Why not? As close to being the top nob as you can get without actualy wearing a crown, a good heart, good sense of right and wrong, respect for his fellow, er, sapient species... It will be al the more interesting to watch him grow up.
alicenanjing

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:28 pm

I don't think it would work with the patricians dad heading up the Watch - too many conflicts of interest
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby alicenanjing » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:53 pm

But would Sam Vimes still be running the Watch when his son turns 30? Because you can't really imagine a Patrician younger than that, the Guilds wouldn't take him seriously, even if he is the world's leading expert on poo. A secret offspring of Vetinari is a beguiling idea, though. But they would have to run for office under a false name, I think, or else Vimes will have kittens if he sees even the ghost of an idea of a hereditary dynasty trying to establish itself.
alicenanjing

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Hahahahhaha!
True that !
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby nemmi69 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 am

I think Vimes has been groomed for this position. Vetinari always seems to have a hand in his affairs.
What doesn't kill you is just biding it's time
nemmi69

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:04 pm

No love for Harry King or his progeny?
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby Nullus Anxietas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:09 pm

alicenanjing wrote:But would Sam Vimes still be running the Watch when his son turns 30? Because you can't really imagine a Patrician younger than that, the Guilds wouldn't take him seriously, even if he is the world's leading expert on poo. A secret offspring of Vetinari is a beguiling idea, though. But they would have to run for office under a false name, I think, or else Vimes will have kittens if he sees even the ghost of an idea of a hereditary dynasty trying to establish itself.

Too bad he's not old enough or Sally could have been his offspring with Lady Margolotta.If vampires can have offspring with humans that is.
Nullus Anxietas

Postby alicenanjing » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:04 pm

I don't think any human gets to be old enough to see his offspring by a vampire become adult. With the lifespans they've got, they must have childhoods that last for a century or so. Spending sixty years as a teenager - now that's an idea for a horror movie.
alicenanjing

Postby alicenanjing » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:12 pm

As for Harry King - well, he's a very credible character, and if this were New York we were talking about, he'd make mayor in a New York second. But just you try and picture Lord Rust or Lady Selachii or their kin calling him My Lord Patrician. It's just not in the cards. Maybe one of his grandchildren will get there. If the odour of the Golden River has had time to fade away.
alicenanjing

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:12 pm

I understand lucre - although proverbially filthy - can have a remarkably cleansing effect
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby alicenanjing » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:05 pm

True, but does it clean up your working-class accent as well? The thing is... power isn't enough to make a man a leader, not by itself. He has to command respect also, and while I don't doubt that a descendant of Harry's would have no difficulty obtaining the respect of most Guilds, they are not the only players here. We can't let the example of former street urchin Commander Sir Samuel Vimes mislead us here. He and Harry King both rose to positions of power, but while Vimes managed to conquer for himself merit, dignity, exacting moral standards, redemption, in short, and also helped countless others to follow the same path, Harry has merely become rich and stayed ahead of the other sharks. They may both have acquired a coat of arms, but they are not equally respected.
alicenanjing

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels