Hogfather Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Hogfather Discussion **Spoilers**

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:36 pm

I must say Hogfather is one of my favourite books - pity I couldn't reread it soon enough.

On the subject of the Hogfather and if it is really necessary that people believe in him I'm with LilMaibe - and Terry explains it much the same way in the end of the book.
Without believe in such things the world would be very different indeed. As Death put it, you need to believe in the small lies in order to be able to believe the big ones like life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (oh, wait, slipped into the wrong context here).
Imagine a purely logical race, such as the Auditors would like it. Would there be love? Surely not. And this is but one thing, there are many others. What about human rights? They're a "lie", too. We've made them up (and a good thing it was we did).
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby RJH » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:42 pm

It has been a while since I read this novel and plan on re-reading it before Xmas, will post my thoughts soon.
RJH

Postby rockershovel » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:53 pm

I much prefer Teatime to Carcer, in the sense that a character who will do almost anything with no discernible motive or sense of proportion is uninteresting precisely because it is quite impossible to get any sense of what he is like as a person.

Teatime is a psycopath but a very specific type ( am I alone in finding the "te-ah-ti-meh" joke tedious and unecessary, by the way? ) and exists in a concrete way which Carcer simply doesn't.

Personally, I enjoyed Hogfather a lot ( LOVED the pigs pulling the sledge... ), Death's bizarre and extreme sense of humour ( like promising the little girl the pony, and telling Albert that she will certainly BELIEVE... ) is great, along with him saying COWER, BRIEF MORTALS before being recalled by Albert... super stuff
rockershovel

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:33 pm

The bit with the wild boars in the shopping mall is my favourite part - I chuckle every time I read it :lol:

Contrariwise to rockershovel I never really "got" Teatime - sadly I found Carcer very believable
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby inca » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:52 pm

I have a question btw, what's with the cats in Death's house? Does it have a real purpose in the story?
inca

Postby Oberon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:06 pm

inca wrote:I have a question btw, what's with the cats in Death's house? Does it have a real purpose in the story?

I don't think so inca. I think it's just that he likes cats.
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” (Terry Pratchett).
Oberon

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Death certainly gets very sniffy in Reaperman when he thinks the chocolates may contain cat (a rather literal interpretation of the box cover) - he also shows signs of disapproval in an early (Mort?) appearance when he has to send some drowned kittens on their way
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:34 pm

To the point of saying I GET VERY ANGRY INDEED(i'm reading Mort atm).
The fact that cats can see him all the time,along with Wizards and Witches,might explain some of the attraction.
Although when experiencing the human thing of getting drunk and he's well into in the melancholy stage he also exlaims "I HAVEN'T GOT A SINGLE FRIEND.EVEN CATS FIND ME AMUSING". :mrgreen:
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Previous

Return to Discworld novels