Alternate Universe Carrot and Vimes (Speculation)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Wish I had a good editor, and if it, as for now, would be only for fanfiction (Though I DO have 100 pages of my original fiction down)
As for the question I asked: I should have clearified that I'd like to know what your editor things about those phrases as I sometimes feel as if they are an ending's equivalent of 'it was a dark and stormy night'
LilMaibe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Sorry yes I realised that but didn't answer it too well - :oops:

I think really it's not something you can be too rigid with although in general it's always best to avoid anything that's too hackneyed/corny. Sue's a published author (with a co-writer, not very populist but good, cerebral classic fantasy) and a member of the Tolkien Society a well as a career librarian so she's really well-placed to do editorials. As a writer she's learned by her own mistakes (experience is always superior to theory) and she's been there, seen it, done it with cliches and superfluous adjectives and adverbs. What she does with me mainly is keep my eyes nose and words on the ball and story by keeping it simple and honest and if anything light on detail where it takes you away from point of scene or the exchange etc.

She's generally right and I would never try to get something as crass as 'Today is a good day to die!' past her in context let alone as a battle cry in or out of fantasy :lol:

If you're interested in objective reviews and editorials for your fanfic of whatever genre then you're welcome to drop by HEREon DreamWorlds :) It's kind of sleepy in that actual thread but the whole forum's geared towards more interactive and creative fandom pursuits with an over-18's cloistered section that isn't wall to wall smut (my adult writing tends to horror/violence rather than sex :twisted: ) and you'll find some familiar faces over there as well, so it won't just be me (I do do practical reviews/editorials for people with my mod's hat on regardless of genre :wink: ) and Sue's on there too (as Saranna) although these days she's pretty busy writing again herself. :)
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:32 pm

LilMaibe

Re:

Postby Ziriath » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:54 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
Ziriath wrote:Uh, sorry, that's a language difference. In Czech, 'anotace' means short description or summary. I do not remember what exact summary of fanfic offended me- but it was some Vimes/Vetinari graphic slash on fanfiction.net. It was my very first encounter with slash and I was...quite shocked, that someone could think of something like that and even wrote it.

I think I even know which you mean Dx And there's a point that annoys me about most fanfiction when it comes to discworld:
They are rarely telling a story but are just there for pseudo-romance between two characters that just don't fit together.
Personally I'm always p**sed off when I read a summary like (and this one's actually common)

-What if Vimes would have not returned to his time in Nightwatch? Contains V/V. Don't like don't read-

I'm always tempted to write:
-Don't like writing non-slash? don't write- in the comments

And this is not the worst case- some slashgirls do not bother to warn in the summary, cos they see the slash pairings as established canon. :-/
Ziriath

Previous

Return to Discworld novels