Vimes in movie

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Vimes in movie

Postby Margi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:52 am

Has anyone suggested Daniel Day-Lewis? I was just watching an interview with him and it just could work. Oh Gods! He'd be expensive!
Margi

Postby MrK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi everyone.
I've read these threads for a while but finally took the plunge to get an account and contribute to this thread as this my first post. Pratchett is my favourite writer and as a slow reader I have read more of his books than any other author.

With The Watch on the way I agree with a lot that has been said, but since it is a continuation, therefore with Vimes older and therefore maybe only in and out of it for a few scenes a big name could be possible. I agree with previouls posts Hugh Lawrie etc. But I see him as Clint Eastwood. I just wish he had an english accent. (I agree it shouldnt be a "hollywood" actor but that would cover all the bases people have mensioned in this thread (gravitas, look, grufness).

Miranda as Sybil really would be great, I can just see her belowing "SWALLOW" while throwing a tablet down a dragons throat!

But I disagree with the Idea that Vimes is the most important casting. He will be key, but I feel for the people trying to cast Nobby. Its imposible. The casting in the Hogfather just didnt seem right to me.
Otherwise I'm open to any good unknown actors who have a good feel for the character, I mean look at the last two Doctors in Dr Who.
MrK

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Welcome to the site, MrK! :D

Maybe they should make a CGI Nobby . . . what's Gollum doing these days? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 pm

MrK wrote: I feel for the people trying to cast Nobby. Its imposible. The casting in the Hogfather just didnt seem right to me.

I thought the Nobby in Hogfather did rather well, especially just at the end ("Some people wouldn't know the spirit of Christmas if it smacked them in the gob") when it was facial expression rather than makeup. I recall Sir Terry saying something similar, that he had doubts but was convinced finally. CGI should not be necessary; remember, Nobby does pass as human (with the help of a certificate signed by the Patrician).
=Tamar

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 am

If anybody has to play Nobby, then I don't think they would go far wrong with Andy Serkis.

Also, from what I understand from Narrativia statements, most of the characters in 'The Watch' series will be new ones with only cameo style appearances by the main characters from the books. Theoretically, this means that a few biggish names could be utilized on a part-time basis to help boost audiences. :think:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby MrK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 pm

I didn't dislike the Nobby in the Hogfather at all. He was OK. Just didnt quite fit how I had imagined him in my mind.
MrK

Postby Margi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 pm

MrK wrote:I didn't dislike the Nobby in the Hogfather at all. He was OK. Just didnt quite fit how I had imagined him in my mind.

I didn't dislike him either, he just wasn't anything like Nobby as described in the books.
Margi

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 pm

True, but that would be quite difficult to achieve.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby DreadfulKata » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Beti wrote:Sean Pertwee (I didn't realize who his dad was - now it's blindingly obvious)

Same here :lol: not till I looked him up on Wikipedia.

Pertwee can't be that common a name, but I just didn't make the connection.

I think Vimes is the most important casting not because he's the most difficult necessarily (he's probably not) but because I think the most important cast-member is whoever is the central character in the show's story. If the show is following the books closely, that's gonna be Vimes: Carrot may be the catalyst, other characters may get viewpoint narration, but the story is always Vimes' emotionally etc.

Of course, the show might have a different angle. It;s been mentioned somewhere that it'll feature original characters - it might take the approach of having the Watch already established and have a new recruit as the central character.
DreadfulKata

Postby Ghost » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 am

well the Pertwee family has worked a lot in the entertainment industry
not just in performance but the technical side as well
but saying that Sean looks a lot like his farther Jon
Ghost

Postby gskipper » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 am

One problem with using an actor from Life on Mars ... everyone will think TP stole the idea ... after all, Sam Tyler (Sam Vimes), a metropolitan policeman, is injured and finds himself in his own past ... TP beat Life on Mars by 4 years, but I've never seen any acknowledgement by Life on Mars of their undoubted debt (perhaps the writers read Night Watch with their kids?)
gskipper

Postby Margi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:56 am

Hmmm.... Skipper, I think there have been so many hundreds of stories about time travel along similar lines that the thought of plagiarism could never stand. It just happens that these two are close together in the public consciousness and both are police ones. Coincidence I'm sure... (trots off whistling and hoping she's right).
Margi

Postby Aquamarine » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 pm

I would have said Pete Postlethwaite myself, but sadly he passed away. He was a great actor, and would have been awesome for the role.
"The truth shall make ye fret."
Aquamarine

Postby Dotsie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:59 am

He was Terry's pick as well, so good choice.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Margi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 am

Aquamarine wrote:I would have said Pete Postlethwaite myself, but sadly he passed away. He was a great actor, and would have been awesome for the role.

Maybe he could play Reg? ;)
Margi

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels