Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Postby Peacemoon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:16 pm

raisindot wrote:Peacemoon, I agree with you thoroughly. I didn't like it the first reading and now that I'm "listening" to the audiobooks version, the flaws you mention stand out even more when you hear Stephen Briggs' voicing Vimes' endless moralizing and advice. What Pterry was once able to convey in a sentence now takes paragraphs. His ability to drop narrative hints that required the reader to infer the answer has been replaced with direct and clumsy explanations. A perfect example of all of these flaws occurs in the scene when Colon has found the little ungue pot in his cigar and tells Cheery that he's entitled to keep it. In an earlier book, an economical one-liner would have registered Cheery's disgust. Here, she's goes off on a completely uncharacteristic speech detailing the entire history's of Colon's xenophobic nature and ends with an explicit insult.

I think the stark contrast between Snuff and older novels can be seen by comparing Cheery's disgusted speech with the conversation between Nobby and Colon in Jingo about nationalism. One displays a mastery of satire, the other is merely average.
Peacemoon

Previous

Return to Discworld novels