Thud Question

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Thud Question

Postby SimStars13 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:27 pm

For some reason in my local Waterstones they're selling larger than normal copies of Thud! for about £3. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a reason for these copies? I'm guessing they're either the 'book group' version or some promotion for Snuff, because they were selling the normal copy beside it for the normal £8, and they had no other TP books in this format.
"Martin! I thought we sold you"

DFTBA
SimStars13

Postby pip » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Paper backs i assume. Thorpe/Charnwood did a large print format of the book in 2006 and i assume its this addition :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby RJH » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:38 pm

It is just a Waterstones exclusive, the Waterstones wording on the book is a dead give away. :lol:
RJH

Postby pip » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:39 pm

There you go. Makes sense. Sadly lacking in waterstones over here now so wouldn't see this :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby RJH » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:02 pm

I have wrapped it up for Xmas so not got access to the ISBN but it is the same size as the original Wee Free Men paperback Version. On the top of the cover it says Waterstones loves Discworld and then in bottom right is a black circle with more writing on it.

I am going back on Thursday to pick my limited edition of Snuff so anybody wants me to pick a copy up let me know.
RJH

Postby SimStars13 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Ah, thanks :) I guess I only looked at the back... I'll look again when i go get Snuff :D
"Martin! I thought we sold you"

DFTBA
SimStars13

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:06 pm

What these type of books are called is Trade editions same size as the hardbacks and about three quarters of the price with the soft covers, also refered to as format B with the normal paperback being Format C.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:20 am

There's also something called an 'airport' format (I think) that is becoming common. These are new hardbacks, but with soft covers. I suspect, for example, that Snuff will be available in airport bookstores in this format when it is released. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 am

A lot of irish shops only carried that format whne I shall Wear Midnight was released . Don't like the format to be honest
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Return to Discworld novels