Granny Weatherwax...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Granny Weatherwax

Postby jackiew » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 pm

You can see Granny Weatherwax at the Woodhouse Players production of Carpe Jugulum in November in East London. See www.woodhouseplayers.co.uk for full details
jackiew

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:40 pm

I think Granny Weatherwax is a brilliant character but I struggled with the dedicated witches books until I had read the Tiffany Aching series. After reading them she has become one of my favourite characters alongside Sam Vimes.
Ash

Postby PyscoFalcon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:23 pm

I like Granny but wouldn't like to meet her in a dark ally.

Nanny Ogg on the other hand I could take to the pub :D
Love me - Love my pets
PyscoFalcon

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Just don't get her on the Scumble, or she'll be singing about Wizards' knobs all night!!

Welcome to the forum, Falcon.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby PyscoFalcon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Cheers.

Ooo I could help with the wizard Knob singing thing and it could start mid noon!
Love me - Love my pets
PyscoFalcon

Postby DaveC » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Welcome too Falcon! :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Olorin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 pm

I hope Granny makes a return soon, she's like the Discworld version of Gandalf... her labours go well and in the end she always proves mightiest.
Olorin

Postby Maura:-D » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm

@Raisindot I totally agree! They are my fav characters by far and I would love a book with them both... :D
Maura:-D

Re: Granny Weatherwax...

Postby engineeringsimon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm

She's got an awesome world view. In fact lots of Chuck Norris facts could be adapted for Granny.

Perhaps: "You don't look at Granny Weatherwax, she allows light to reflect in your direction..."

She was the inspiration for the first Discworld tune I wrote... http://snd.sc/N7TNhz
engineeringsimon

Postby feanor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Ayup All...

Just to re-ignite this topic, As I was watching Going Postal again for the second time this weekend, I thought how perfect Claire Foy would be for an Old/Young Granny Weatherwax. she has the chin and everything. The 'Proper' haughty demeanour and presence and everything don't you all think ? I fancy a shot for telly of 'Equal Rites'... what about you lot ?
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:40 pm

I always saw Granny Weatherwax as quite tall and thin from the descriptions of her in the books, Claire Foy is good for one of those but at just 1.62m (5' 3¾") is too short to be Granny
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Isn't there a description of her appearing taller than she actually is - somewhere?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Hmm, not sure and lots of pages to check.......
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby =Tamar » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:03 am

Tonyblack wrote:Isn't there a description of her appearing taller than she actually is - somewhere?

That's later, in the Tiffany books.
People do often get slightly shorter as they age and the padding between the vertebrae gets thinner. However, I'm fairly certain that pTerry originally intended Granny to be quite tall and then decided to change it to "appears" tall; he did that first with the head schoolteacher at Susan's school in SM, and (if I recall correctly, and I think I do) he has Susan thinking of her as "the woman" which is a way of reducing someone's influence.

Other people in Ankh-Morpork definitely perceive Granny as tall, and she was perceived as fitting into a tall woman's dress in WA. So Granny is actually at least medium height for the Ankh-Morpork average; Nanny may well be short.
However, Tiffany first met Granny when she was only nine years old, and she may have perceived Granny as taller than she really was. Later, when Tiffany is older, taller, and less nervous about Granny, she changes her emotional perception and now sees her as less tall than she originally thought. This new perception may not be any more accurate than the first one. Tiffany now has emotional reasons for wanting to see Granny as less imposing. All the first sight in the world isn't going to combat a deep emotional need.
=Tamar

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Granny is the size of a Feegle. She uses headology to make people believe she's tall. :D
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels