Any Questions?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Any Questions?

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Ah two of us together, it must be right then :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby mirandashell » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:04 pm

LOL! It must be.
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby zcobb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Yes! Kudos to mirandashell and The Mad Collector. I was thinking of: The Way of Mrs. Cosmopilite "a collection of wise words from Mrs. Marietta Cosmopilite by Lu-Tze" and it does feature in Thief of Time.

I have since found, thanks to your help, that some of the sayings were featured in "Lu-Tze's Yearbook of Enlightenment" a sort of diary for 2008.
zcobb

Postby Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi everyone, I'm translating the series to Farsi. And I need a little help sometimes, if you could help me it'd be much appreciated.
In book 8, Guards! Guards! :
The King (of dwarfs) is writing a letter to the ruler of ankh for Carrot, and everyone has sat around and watching. Then it says:
"His aunt had been sent up to Varneshi's to beg his pardon but could he see his way clear to sparing a smidgen of wax. His sister had been sent down to the village to ask Mistress Garlick the witch how you stopped spelling recommendation."
I get that (maybe) by "sparing a smidgen of wax" the mean ink for writing the letter. but what about "Ho you stopped spelling recommendation."
Does it mean they keep writing and don't know when to stop? or it's talking about the actual spelling of the word "Recommendation"?
I'm really confused.
A LIFE WITHOUT DANGER AND LAUGHTER IS A LIFE NOT WORTH LIVING...
Hunter

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:03 pm

The wax is to seal the letter once it is written. The "how to stop spelling recommendation" is similar to the joke in Witches Abroad where Nanny says she knows how to spell "banana" but doesn't know how to stop spelling it. She then goes on to spell it bananana. It's a much funnier joke with banana, but recommendation is such a long word for simple folks, that it probably seems quite daunting. :)

I hope that helps. Good luck with your translation, and feel free to ask - we'll try to explain . . . if we can.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Oh, got it. Right.
You'd say for I face a problem such simple what questions will I have in the future.
But thanks anyway. I'll try to trouble you less when I can figure it out on my own. But you KNOW you'll be seeing a lot more of me in this topic, well, 40 book to go is a long way.
Hunter

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:19 pm

:D You have quite a task ahead I think. Terry uses the English language to play subtle jokes that may be difficult to translate.
Tonyblack

Postby Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:27 pm

I know, but you know what they say, when you love your job, you actually aren't doing any work as much as having fun.
Hunter

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:40 pm

:lol: I like that philosophy!
Tonyblack

Postby Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:55 pm

If you like the philosophy, you definitely would love living it. :drool:
Is there a spam/degrading rule where we shouldn't be doing any discussing but related to the tittle of the topic?
Because in most of Iranian forums there is such regulation, in which your post will be considered a spam and you'll get a warning. But not all of them.
Hunter

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:17 pm

The only surprise here Hunter is if you stick to the thread topic :roll: :D

Welcome to the forum, where in Iran are you?
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby chris.ph » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:34 pm

wot topic :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Hunter wrote:If you like the philosophy, you definitely would love living it. :drool:
Is there a spam/degrading rule where we shouldn't be doing any discussing but related to the tittle of the topic?
Because in most of Iranian forums there is such regulation, in which your post will be considered a spam and you'll get a warning. But not all of them.

We are pretty laid back here and often go off topic. Don't worry about it. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:08 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:The only surprise here Hunter is if you stick to the thread topic :roll: :D

Welcome to the forum, where in Iran are you?

Oh, good, because I have a tendency to digress, a lot!
I live in Khouzestan (Kh as in latin javier or jose, you know the kind of intonation that comes from depths of your throat and when you make the sound your brain vibrates and your eyes wobble) it's one of the southern provinces of Iran, one of the largest and rich (earth source-wise) ones too, but unfortunately one of the leas equipped and what you call advanced states, too.
Any more questions I'll be more than happy to answer and discuss (such an interest I have for interacting) it.
Tonyblack wrote:
Hunter wrote:If you like the philosophy, you definitely would love living it. :drool:

We are pretty laid back here and often go off topic. Don't worry about it. :)

Well, thanks. What a relief.
by the way I have an English story too (written by yours drooly :drool:) where do you guys think it'd be best to publish it, virtually, I'd like to get read. It's kind of a parody of the parody of Guards Guards, in a twisted stupid kind of way, but it's funny, and I'm a good writer too, I swear :mrgreen:
Hunter

Cor!

Postby Hunter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 pm

What is "Cor!"?
In Guards! Guards! when for the first time the dragon is summoned, it goes and burns 3rd class thief Zebbo Mooty. Then he dies and is ascending, see's Death's figure, asks him who is he, and Death says, 'Guess'. And after a peering Mooty says, "Cor! I thought you dint show for the likes of me."
I couldn't find out what that "Cor!" was. I googled it, and the only thing turned up to be a Spanish translation tittle "A Cor Da Magia" Which I'm thinking means Color of Magic.
Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels