what is your top three discworld books?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:54 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Your not gonna be a grammer Nazi agin ru? :lol:


:lol:
User avatar
Chris
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Chris

I've just sent you by pm a grammar test I devised for my students. 8)

There are 33 questions. It's multiple choice.

I will not accept US English grammatically correct answers, only British English. :P

Good luck. :P

Obviously, you don't have to do it. However, if you bottle it, you must promise never to complain about anybody's grammar again. 8)

If you do it, then I'll post your total score in this thread.

Who knows, you might even get 100%? :lol:
(3% per correct answer plus a 1% bonus if all 33 are correct.)

If you disagree with any answer, feel free to state your opinion, before I explain why you are wrong. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:04 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Chris

I've just sent you by pm a grammar test I devised for my students. 8)

There are 33 questions. It's multiple choice.

I will not accept US English grammatically correct answers, only British English. :P

Good luck. :P

Obviously, you don't have to do it. However, if you bottle it, you must promise never to complain about anybody's grammar again. 8)

If you do it, then I'll post your total score in this thread.

Who knows, you might even get 100%? :lol:
(3% per correct answer plus a 1% bonus if all 33 are correct.)

If you disagree with any answer, feel free to state your opinion, before I explain why you are wrong. :lol:

I didn't come here to be tested, just to have a bit of fun, so I won't be doing your test, I'm not your student. And I'll gently take the micky out of whatever I like whenever I like. Got it?
User avatar
Chris
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Chris wrote:Is it just me or does the title of this thread cause you to grind your teeth each time you read it?

"what is your top three discworld books?"

Arrrrrrrreeeeeeeeggggghhh!!!!!!! :lol:
You have no idea how many times I've been tempted to alter it. :lol: But, some people have problems with their spelling and grammar - and some people don't have English as their first language. So my general feeling is - if everyone can understand it, then that's good enough. I don't want to discourage anyone from starting a thread or feeling nervous about posting due to lack of spelling or grammar skills. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29326
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Chris wrote:I didn't come here to be tested, just to have a bit of fun, so I won't be doing your test, I'm not your student. And I'll gently take the micky out of whatever I like whenever I like. Got it?


Got it! :wink:

Can I gently take the micky out of your grammar then? :P

Chris' evolutionary polemic wrote: Darwin knew the power of his work and knew full well it would be THE beginning of the end for theistic belief.


Some people have problems with subject/verb agreements, others have problems with the definite article. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
Chris wrote:I didn't come here to be tested, just to have a bit of fun, so I won't be doing your test, I'm not your student. And I'll gently take the micky out of whatever I like whenever I like. Got it?


Got it! :wink:

Can I gently take the micky out of your grammar then? :P

Chris' evolutionary polemic wrote: Darwin knew the power of his work and knew full well it would be THE beginning of the end for theistic belief.


Some people have problems with subject/verb agreements, others have problems with the definite article. :lol:

Well what should I have written then?
User avatar
Chris
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:33 pm

You should have put the in. You didn't. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:54 pm

There are some native English speakers on here who are dyslexic. I don't think it would be appropriate to criticise their grammar or spelling either, do you? :D

Oh, and I read your post (in answer to your question which you have now deleted) because so far you've been very erudite and educational (if a touch polemic) in the creationist thread. :P

It's a shame you don't like my little quizzes. However, lots of other people do.
The last grammar quiz I ran has had over 7,500 views so far. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:02 pm

poohcarrot wrote:There are some native English speakers on here who are dyslexic. I don't think it would be appropriate to criticise their grammar or spelling either, do you? :D

Oh, and I read your post (in answer to your question which you have now deleted) because so far you've been very erudite and educational (if a touch polemic) in the creationist thread. :P

It's a shame you don't like my little quizzes. However, lots of other people do.
The last grammar quiz I ran has had over 7,500 views so far. 8)

How do you know I am not dyslexic and have to spend a lot of time constructing my posts and am actually quite proud of the fact that I can actually spot grammer errors some times?
User avatar
Chris
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:11 pm

...because you type a hell of a lot faster than me. :lol:

And because it would be impossible for someone who was the moderator of a Dawkins forum with over 20,000 posts to his name to be dyslexic. 8)
(BTW that really impressed me! :D )

I'm pretty sure that you yourself have attacked creationists' posts that were obviously grammatically incorrect (ie; a lot of them, because you have to be pretty ignorant to believe that the world is only 6,000 years old.)

"Dawkins are an git. Jesus are the bestest!"

Something like that would just be begging for it. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Actually as a moderator one has to forego the luxury of picking up peoples typos and spelling mistakes. One has to grit one's teeth and be 100% even handed. And I do suffer from minor dyslexia and I can't spell to sace my life. Hence Principle and Principal. So you'd think I'd be sympathetic to others who also have problems like me? Well sometimes one just like to be thee kicker rather than the kicked. Sorry if I'm not pperfect.
User avatar
Chris
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:27 pm

One last thing Chris. :D

We have our own pet creationist on this forum called Captainmeme (Yes, I do know where the word "meme" originated). He's only 15 years old and we're trying to convert him by being nice to him.

You would eat him alive and spit out the bones. :shock:

Please don't rip him apart and tear him to shreds, or we'll never succeed. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Oh and the joke at my expence in your sig has rather worn off now.
User avatar
Chris
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:29 pm

poohcarrot wrote:One last thing Chris. :D

We have our own pet creationist on this forum called Captainmeme (Yes, I do know where the word "meme" originated). He's only 15 years old and we're trying to convert him by being nice to him.

You would eat him alive and spit out the bones. :shock:

Please don't rip him apart and tear him to shreds, or we'll never succeed. 8)

Thanks for the head's up on his age. I'll be gentle :D
User avatar
Chris
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:31 pm

It wasn't a joke at your expense, it was a joke at the expense of all the Chrisseseseses who suddenly joined. :D

I'll change it back to the original. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests