How many trouserlegs of time are there?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How many trouserlegs of time are there?

Postby LilMaibe » Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 pm

First off, let me apologise for all rants and ravings from my side.
Then, follow me on this thought:

Are actually all stories we know from the Disc set in the same trouserleg of time?
I remember an inteview where the history monks, alternate past etc where mentioned and of course we have events as in Soul Music or Thief of Time.
But in the total, are all these stories set in the same reality or can it be possible that we got to hear stories from at least three seperate legs?
LilMaibe

Postby Dotsie » Tue May 24, 2011 5:29 am

I'd say they're all in the same trouserleg. Although occasionally we get a glimpse into another leg, it always ends up back in the right one.

In Nightwatch, I think we get back to the original leg, but it's changed a bit.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue May 24, 2011 5:40 am

There has been some patching up by the history Monks but we may have 'jumped legs' as well. After all to take just one example Gaspode died at the end of Moving Pictures but is definitely still around now.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 24, 2011 6:01 am

The Mad Collector wrote:There has been some patching up by the history Monks but we may have 'jumped legs' as well. After all to take just one example Gaspode died at the end of Moving Pictures but is definitely still around now.
He didn't die, although apparently Terry had been going to kill him off. I think the story goes that one of his reader/editors convinced him that killing Gaspode off would be a mistake. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue May 24, 2011 6:12 am

I thought he did, mind you I'm relying on memory of a book I last read over 3 years ago and currently have no idea which box it is in so I quite happy to be wrong about this. Didn't he get trapped under the collapsing cinema with Laddie?
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby meerkat » Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 am

Yes, but isn't his life timer as strange as Rincewind's? Made like a glass blower with hiccups? :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 24, 2011 6:28 am

I don't want to go into spoilers too much, but he meets up with Death and then, in true cinematic tradition, gets rescued by Laddie. He does lose his power to speak though and this is later explained in a similar way to Maurice and co. and their eating habits. :D

As to this whole trouser legs question. Terry has never pretended that this is a cultural history of Discworld. It's just a place where he sets his stories. There are problems and things that don't work, but Terry isn't trying to be Tolkien.

So instead of thinking of different trouser legs, try thinking of artistic licence instead. Discworld is Terry's sandbox and he lets us play there sometimes. But he makes the rules.
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 am

What's Latatian for 'a wizard did it'? :)
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby rockershovel » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 am

as many as are required for the purposes of the plot, or for explaining away continuity errors...
rockershovel

Postby LilMaibe » Fri May 27, 2011 11:17 pm

rockershovel wrote:as many as are required for the purposes of the plot, or for explaining away continuity errors...

Good answer :D
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 28, 2011 6:29 am

I think I recall Terry once saying something along the lines of - there are no mistakes in the Discworld book, justy alternative realities.

Or something like that. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Sat May 28, 2011 12:29 pm

I know :D And I wonder, can it be made out how many are there (close to) exactly and which are connected...
LilMaibe

Postby meerkat » Sat May 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Is de ja vu just a hint of when you were in another trouser leg?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby deldaisy » Sat May 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Perhaps there is more than ONE pair of trousers? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Sat May 28, 2011 5:12 pm

meerkat wrote:Is de ja vu just a hint of when you were in another trouser leg?

Gnah >< Question: why do I read this post the very moment THAT Sketch is on on DVD?!
LilMaibe

Next

Return to Discworld novels