What noise does Great A-tuin make?

He grunts and is therefore male
15%
She hisses and is therefore female
85%

Total votes : 13

A possible lead on Great A-tuin's sex

Postby unseenu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:24 am

I was reading a book of factoids the other day and came across this interesting bullet point:

How to avoid a wombat's bum and other fascinating facts wrote:You can tell a turtle's gender by the noise it makes:males grunt,females hiss

Therefore I ask you has there been any reference to the kind of noise atuin makes in any discworld work?We can include the tv adaptations in this since sound effects might be more useful than written description here
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:37 am

I don't remember Great A'Tuin making any noises after all who would he/she be communicating with?
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 am

I always think of Great A'tuin as being female - from the Light Fantastic and returning to the Astrochelonian spawning grounds close to the red star...? 8) :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:04 pm

In space no one can hear you grunt! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:05 pm

I think laying eggs answered the question. So I'm prepared to say that she's a she.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby flammableben » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:09 pm

I don't think that Space Turtles adhere to classic gender types
flammableben

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Dotsie wrote:I think laying eggs answered the question. So I'm prepared to say that she's a she.
But did A'tuin lay the eggs? All we know is that he/she arrived at a point in space where some eggs hatched.

It is not typical turtle behaviour (as far as I know) to return to any eggs they have laid. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:38 pm

It certainly wouldn't be for a male :?

Anyway, how do we know what's typical for a space turtle? We only know one. So, taking the view of palaeontologists, we have insufficient data, so for argument's sake we assume a similarity with what we do know. Proximity to eggs = female. There! :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Has to be a female. If A'tuin were a male, he'd have a female A'tuin at his side telling him to go slower, move left to avoid hitting that asteroid, and stop at the nearest Auditor to ask directions.

:)
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:44 pm

The females always go back to the beach they hatched from to lay eggs and I'm fairly certain (do we have any marine biologists here?) that adults of both genders go back to the birthing beaches and wait for the hatchlings to make it into the water (having survived the main infant mortality attrition obstacle of getting down the beach and into the sea) to give them some protection. The fact that A'tuin goes back to the spawning ground region and sees the new discworld hatchlings bears out both parenthood theories, with the birthing aspect definitely supplying a strong case for being female :wink:

On the subject of behavioural traits for Astrochelonian mating habits - perhaps they only mate the once and at a stage where life isn't in a state of advanced evolution so the worries of Krull as to any trysting ceremonies might have been over-estimated if they 'do it' like earth turtles. Personally as things hydraulic might be severely strained in space I'd plump for them mating more externally like fish rather than as reptiles... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:49 pm

raisindot wrote:Has to be a female. If A'tuin were a male, he'd have a female A'tuin at his side telling him to go slower, move left to avoid hitting that asteroid, and stop at the nearest Auditor to ask directions.

:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I like this.

Definitely female. No male turtle would be that attentive to their young.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby unseenu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 pm

All I have achieved with my possible lead is to dig up all the old arguments on the subject :lol:

Does TP himself know? if not he could certainly go and have a look
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm pretty certain that none of the great sea turtles return to their eggs once they have laid them. They return to the same beach to lay each time, but once the eggs are laid, the hatchlings are on their own.
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:03 pm

But A'tuin is a star turtle :wink: Maybe they do go back :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby meerkat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm no Marine Biologist but according to my BBC nature vids the females leave the eggs and return to the sea as do the males once they have mated.

The females lay thier eggs to the moons cycle so that the tide is higher when the eggs hatch. That's the best they can do and then the little ones are on thier own. That's why sharks, crocks and birds turn up the night before. How they know is a mystery.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Next

Return to Discworld novels