The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Postby nom* » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:47 am

i last time i read this i was actually traveling through the northern territory and alice springs and then finished the book once i was home in sydney :) a very enjoyable way to read it was i felt i was following Rincewind's journey.

i think i is a very 'british' view of australia though, i don't really know anything about rolf harris, and am glad not to!
nom*

Postby meerkat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:54 am

WELCOME Bulados2!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 am

meerkat wrote:WELCOME Bulados2!

Bulados2 is a spammer, Meer. Look at the link in its signature . . . which I'm going to delete, so you won't be able to. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 am

No, I can't, so you are right! :D
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Re:

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:48 pm

inca wrote:The book made me realize how little I know about Australia. There's about two books I've read that take place there, and I have seen the odd spot of Neighbours and Flying Doctors. Oh, and McCleod's daughters... but that's it! So most of the jokes went right over my head. (The ever more manic 'no worries' though... that one I got :) )

I even missed vegemite since I don't know the stuff. Can't say that it sounds like much to miss, but I was reading it and knowing there's some joke to be made, and I had no clue. (Althoug, reading it that way, it gives you a perfect idea about how ridiculous our actual world is. Nobody would fall for such an improbable thing in a story - it's only funny because it's real :) )

All you need to know about vegemite comes from John Henson of Talk Soup, "Vegemite is people. It's PEOPLE!"

(i so wish i could find the clip of him trying the stuff on air.)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:16 pm

On a note on the book: If I would say 'The creator-god didn't make a new bullroarer because he either couldn't (artefacts are fuzzy things) or, more likely, because he knew what consequences (bad consequences) it would have had if he would have made a new one' would you agree or disagree?
LilMaibe

Previous

Return to Discworld novels