The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:16 am

deldaisy wrote:And Pooh.. the book ISN'T ALL about evolution.. thats the island story... the continent story is about Terry having fun with Australia and what he knew about it.

I didn't say it wasn't about Australia. You'll find that was Terry Pratchett and Tony who said it wasn't about Australia. :lol:

Tortoises play a big part in Small Gods, Oz plays a big part in LC. But there are also evolution comments in the Oz bits though, aren't there? :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 am

Tonyblack wrote:
deldaisy wrote:Did you get the one about Rolf Harris?.... that could have gone over an aussies head as Rolf wasn't as cult-like here as he was in England.

"Can you tell what it is yet?" :wink:

There were at least two references to Rolf. Which one are you on about? :?
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 am

I was thinking about that one. I don't mark passages and stuff. What was the other one?
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:28 am

About tying his kangaroo up. :wink:

And I didn't say it wasn't a book about Australia. I just quoted what Terry says at the start of the book. I think he's telling porkys. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 am

Oh yeah I WAS referring to what TP wrote at the beginning of the book... 'I was saying to Pooh I didn't think it was ALL about evolution...

NOW I remember the kangaroo one. Thank you.

It was heavy on the Man from Snowy River (horses going vertically down and up slopes etc) and lots of lines from Clancy of the Overflow.

The boat races was funny. We have a yearly regatta in Alice Springs called the Henley On Todd but we also had them in a town I used to live in.... and YES we had to cancel it one year because of rain :D Me and my mates actually had a bottomless boat in it... I should scan the pics and put them up.

The descriptions of the land being scoured by a wall of water and changing the riverbed down to rock during flash floods was particularly poignant here as while I was reading it they had updates on the Lockyer Valley "inland tsunami" on TV that brought back all the horror of that day.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:51 am

Tonyblack wrote:I have to admit that the bit with Rinso on the horse was far funnier after I saw the movie of The Man From Snowy River. But these references are a bit hit or miss. When we discussed this book on the Cunning Artificer's board, I was amazed at how many people (including some Aussies) had never heard of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Some hadn't heard of Priscilla Queen of the Desert either. These jokes, along with the Mad Max and Crocodile Dundee references, don't really work unless you know what they are referring to.

I got most of the references (despite never watching Mad Max, Crocodile Dundee, or Skippy, and only watching some of Priscilla), but I didn't get the Rolf Harris reference. I did get the bullroarer reference.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 am

Have you seen one Q? Heard one? Amazing huh.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:59 pm

deldaisy wrote:Have you seen one Q? Heard one? Amazing huh.

I think I've seen and heard one on TV years ago. And having just watched a YouTube video of one being used, I was pretty close in my reminiscence to what was reality, although I thought it was a louder and lower noise, like Christopher Lee turned into a train.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:08 pm

:D :D Good comparison. When you are standing under it the sound waves go right through your body.
deldaisy

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm

So why the cockroach, then? :P
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 pm

I thought Ponder thought he was in on the beginning of creation... Adam and Eve at least..... you know the buzz... Earth begins.... we evolve, we rule the earth, nuclear winter and the only thing that survives are the cockroaches.

Two minds about this though with me.... I think Ponder is an evolutionist... if its done "properly"... out of the stagnant slime sort of thing... so is he shocked that the God is starting at the end for the beginning.... or is he horrified that the God ISN'T starting at the beginning?

Or does he just HATE cockroaches? And the thought of a world populated by them?

It had me a bit confused. Any opinions?
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:15 pm

poohcarrot wrote:So why the cockroach, then? :P

Because it is 'the big project' I'd say.
The one creature that would always be there, On the disc and on here...gotta hate those buggers

(and I type awfully slow that del beat me to it Xx )
LilMaibe

Postby Cool Middle Name » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 pm

So, this is the sequel to Interesting Times? ^^
I've only read IT as a Rincewing/Twoflower story, not COM or this or the other RW books.

(One day I'll have my own complete collection of these books... grumblegrumble...)
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Cool Middle Name wrote:So, this is the sequel to Interesting Times? ^^
I've only read IT as a Rincewing/Twoflower story, not COM or this or the other RW books.

(One day I'll have my own complete collection of these books... grumblegrumble...)

Basically every story is a sequel to the story before, pragmatically speaking.
LilMaibe

Postby Cool Middle Name » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
Cool Middle Name wrote:So, this is the sequel to Interesting Times? ^^

Basically every story is a sequel to the story before, pragmatically speaking.

When it comes to Pratchett though, you can't tell.
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels