The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pandasthumb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm not sure if it is safe to reply to this thread, but as an Aussie I really enjoyed the fact that the politicians were put in jail as soon as they were elected, if only it were true!
pandasthumb

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:53 pm

pandasthumb wrote:I'm not sure if it is safe to reply to this thread, but as an Aussie I really enjoyed the fact that the politicians were put in jail as soon as they were elected, if only it were true!

If only. :)
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Well we put a FEW in didn't we? I'm sure if they were ALL in it might make a difference... no free cars, free petrol, free meals, (how the hell can you institute policy on items you haven't paid for in years), free travel, free rent, free free free free free......

Mind you.... woudl YOU do that job? I mean the premise of it is okay... but frankly you would have to spend your whole day with.... POLITICIANS :shock: UGH.
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Yes, I thought the whole point of that reference was to do with Aussie history and the imprisonment of corrupt politicians.

Here's a list of crooked Australian politicians. :lol:

And it really is safe to post here. We don't always agree, but that wouldn't be much of a discussion if we did. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:30 pm

I thought the idea of these discussions was to actually have some independent, original thoughts and ideas about specific books and to back them up with quotes. Obviously I was wrong. :?

Any original ideas I have tend to be shot down in flames because I obviously "haven't read the book", or they just get unfairly dismissed out of hand because "It doesn't say so on L-Space". :roll:

What's the point? :roll:

When I first mentioned Buggerup could be a gay joke, this was immediately dismissed out of hand and equivalent to saying Foul Ole Ron was gay. I then provided 5 pieces of evidence;

1. According to Tony, UA has lots of gay references about "back passages" etc, thus setting a precedent.
2. Buggerup is a parody of Sydney, yet in keeping with the rest of the book, no pun is obvious. Clancy would have been a better name.
3. The Galeh is a parody of the Gay Pride festival.
4. Dibbler is overtly homophobic.
5. Someone says Buggerup is full of "Pooftahs".

Tony then said it might be true, and as far as I was concerned, that particular discussion was over.

Then Del sticks her big oar in and starts it up again, so I have to defend my position. :roll:
Then DJ puts a different version of Foul Ole Ron being gay comment. :roll:
Then SW says I'm obsessed with sex? :shock:
And SW says I have no knowledge of Australia. :shock: Which is pretty rich coming from somebody who completely failed to understand the book despite reading it at least twice. :roll:

I give up.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:41 pm

But everyone agreed with you on the Creationism aspect of the book. Indeed, your recent sparring with captainmeme made my reading of this book take on a fresh perspective. So we don't automatically shoot down your original ideas.

By the same token, if we don't agree with your ideas then we should be able to say so - shouldn't we? Why be so sensitive if people don't agree with you? :?
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm sensitive because I'm having a bad day today. :(

Although I can now buy petrol, bread, water, batteries and toilet paper, I can't buy the cigs I usually smoke, so I'm stuck with US crap. The filters for Mild Seven cigs are made in Tohoku and currently Japan's most popular brand of cigs can't be bought anywhere. :(

My apologies. :(
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:29 pm

I'm really sorry you are going through this Pooh. And I apologise if I've been insensitive. :(
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:36 pm

good time to give up the smokes then pooh :wink:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm

It's never a good time to give up the smokes. I felt miserable for about seven years (not true, but it was about this long before I could really say I was over them). Not smoking when you want to makes a bad situation worse, so you have my sympathies on this pooh.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Dotsie wrote:It's never a good time to give up the smokes. I felt miserable for about seven years (not true, but it was about this long before I could really say I was over them). Not smoking when you want to makes a bad situation worse, so you have my sympathies on this pooh.

He is smoking though. Just the wrong brand. Which is understandably annoying as some american cigarettes taste like crap and catpee mixed. Better none than them.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Puffin.
(had to *dodges*)
LilMaibe

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Can you not get roll yer own over there?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Oh PLEASE please please please let me share with you comments from the Health Minister on TV here last week.......

After years of waiting FINALLY the NHS has put nicotine patches and aids on the PBS (Pharma Benefits Scheme... Instead of paying full price for meds you pay a set fee of $5.50 if you are on a pension or benefits) God.. so now nicotine patches are $5.50 not $35 to $40.... if you are on benefits.

The budget is about to come out..... they have just said that they are now planning to raise the price of cigarettes by 25%..... ($16 for 25 now).. and the minister says something like....

"The people least able to afford the money to be able to smoke are those unemployed, or pensioners, or on benefits... and this flow on effect often shows in the type of people they are and how it affects thier lifestyle... Obviously aged pensioners or people on sickness beneifts shouldn't be smoking for thier health and finances... and single parents could be putting that money towards their children... and we DID put patches on the PBS so there is really NO excuse for them not to be smoking now. They can now put that extra money towards better choices in alot of things, lifestyle, better food, entertainment, education."

Interviewer: "So this IS aimed at the lower levels of society to price them out of the cigarette market and ensure a better standard of living?"

HM "Yes"

WTF?

So they are saying that smoking is for the rich? I smoke.. I know I need to stop... but I am not killing babies here... I smoke! My children eat VERY healthy food... they don't actually like takeout food, they love their veggies too much. They even get fresh salmon steaks on a regular basis. So what am I supposed to do with all this extra money? I KNOW it will be great for bills etc, but.. entertainment? What? Stage shows? Capacinno with the girls on the riverbank while my little darlings skip through the daisies? I can suddenly afford $25,000 a year for a private education?

Gee all those poor old dears with a few years left can suddenly give up and afford their meds!

If they are serious about this.... WHY isn't the same rule applied to alcohol that causes many more deaths and damage to peoples lives than smoking a cigarette.

Suppose I am off to get some patches... Oh wait.. last time I tried them they blistered my skin so badly I bled.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Have you ever met any politician who lives in the same reality as we do?
(on how many pages have we actually talked bout the book by now?)
LilMaibe

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels