The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:01 pm

So Pooh when all the birds start saying "Bugr'of" (or however it gets spelt) after Rincewind does is that also a reference to anal sex?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Well they were buggerigars. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Freud was right, this book is all about sex
LilMaibe

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:So Pooh when all the birds start saying "Bugr'of" (or however it gets spelt) after Rincewind does is that also a reference to anal sex?

No! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:00 am

deldaisy wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... but he was writing about Australia! :D

And stop going around in circles or I'll nail your other foot to the floor.

I'll get the hammer and the six-inch nails. :)
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 am

Another reference (possibly) that people may have missed:

Terry Pratchett wrote:Rincewind felt intuitively that saying 'I was just outside the door' was not a good idea.

'Er, I had an assisted passage,' he said.

After WW2 Australia opened its doors to emigrants from the UK and over a million of them went there between 1945 and 1972. The Australian government had an Assisted Passage scheme, where emigrants would pay just £10 to travel to Australia. This scheme became known by the Australians as 'Ten Pound Poms'. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:33 pm

....and the UK is still the largest number of any immigrant group we have in any year contrary to what people say about Asians or any other nationality.

The push now is for the Irish.
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Does anyone else have trouble telling the Faculty apart? Ponder, the Bursar, Ridcully and the Librarian are fine, and the Dean is not too bad - but the Chair of Indefinite Studies, the Lecturer of Recent Runes and the Senior Wrangler are almost interchangeable. :?
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Does anyone else have trouble telling the Faculty apart? Ponder, the Bursar, Ridcully and the Librarian are fine, and the Dean is not too bad - but the Chair of Indefinite Studies, the Lecturer of Recent Runes and the Senior Wrangler are almost interchangeable. :?

*lifts hand*
LilMaibe

Postby DaveC » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Does anyone else have trouble telling the Faculty apart? Ponder, the Bursar, Ridcully and the Librarian are fine, and the Dean is not too bad - but the Chair of Indefinite Studies, the Lecturer of Recent Runes and the Senior Wrangler are almost interchangeable. :?
I always remember that Senior Wrangler is more randy than the others. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby swreader » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:04 am

poohcarrot wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

But where was the evidence? :?

And how come SW's allowed to right in green? :? That's nepotism! :lol:

Pooh, you've become obsessed with sex and your knowledge of Australia is obviously badly out of date. There are lots of interesting and relevant bits of the book that show Terry's interest in and homage to Australia. After all, that's where the English had to send their convicts when we stopped accepting them. But they turned out extraordinarily well after all.

Del, is the Trickster (Roo) a part of the aboriginal creation story as coyote is in many of the Native American creation accounts?

As to giving emphasis by WRITING in green (I have the right to if I want to--as Tony pointed out). It was your post that I used the green on, not mine. Would you have prefered shocking pink?

As to your question about where is the evidence of Pooh talking rubbish, see pages 1 through 9 for frequent examples.
swreader

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:35 am

I didn't have an obsession with gay sex until Tony raised the issue in UA. :roll:
Tonyblack talking about "Gay" jokes in UA wrote:I couldn't believe the amount of double entendres in the book. Back passages and back alleys had more mentions than a Carry-On film. :lol:

SW You only think I was talking rubbish because you quite clearly didn't get the evolution debate bit. :lol:
The Ozzie half if funny, but (in my opinion) it's the evolution bits which elevate this novel above the likes of Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment.

swreader on CA site wrote:I found the whole Mono island reminescent of Eric where there is another Creator--only this one was wasn't as good. It seemed to me that this was simply Terry putting in the wizards and a few double entendres, as you can't seem to have a Rincewind book without the wizards. Unfortunately, they're not nearly as funny as they are in some of their other appearances.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:37 am

As Pooh has failed to supply a link to the discussion he's quoting from on the Cunning Artificer's Board, I thought I'd supply one. LINK.

As you'll see from the link, the discussion took place in December 2007. In my own opening introduction I said that this book was my least favourite of all the books.

But over all those years my opinion has changed somewhat. I see things in there that I didn't see before and can see where Terry was going with this book now. I've changed my opinion. I know that swreader enjoyed the book more this time as well. People change their minds - I didn't like Small Gods much when I first read it. :lol:

As to me talking about "Gay" jokes in UA. Where, in that quote do I mention anything about "gay" anything? :?

The quote by me is from this thread: Unseen Academicals - Revelation! posted by Pooh in January 2010 about what "gay" references he saw in Unseen Academicals. I think most people who contributed to that thread agreed that there were gay references in the book.

poocarrot wrote:I didn't have an obsession with gay sex until Tony raised the issue in UA. :roll:

Let me get this clear Pooh. Your comments about gay sex in The Last Continent are based on my comments in a thread about UA over a year ago - a discussion about homosexual references in a thread that you started? Huh - how does that work? :?

I apologise if I've corrupted you. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:04 am

And here I was thinking that I was the master of putting my foot in my mouth, but I must bow to the champion. :roll:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:58 am

He's more than a champion - he's the Master Image
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels