Discworld marathon blog...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 pm

Do reviews need to be scored at all? The star system's slightly less fussy in that you can see at a glance whether you liked it but where you're actually doing this as an exercise for yourself, as a blog I'm not interested in your rating so much as how you liked and assessed the book - the score is only relevent to you anyway as anyone else could look at it differently? :wink:

If we genuinely listened to critics reviewing(or scoring where they do that) then half of literature and a really high proportion of music and films (Verdi's operas in particular :roll: ) would never see the light of day or the stamping out desk of local libraries... :lol: If I'm interested in a book (and know I share your taste as we're both on here because of Pterry) then I'll read your opinion/review and discuss it with you if I'm drawn to anything, but your score isn't of the slightest interest to me whatsoever, so long as you're saying you enjoyed it as I know it's probably something I'll agree with in most respects or at least find interesting to bat back and forth quibbling... :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 pm

It's CMOT Quibbler! :lol:

This is certainly going to be a marathon blog as the title suggests as we are already on page 5 and Q's only done one real review. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Speak for yourself Gobsang! :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm

poohcarrot wrote:It's CMOT Quibbler! :lol:

This is certainly going to be a marathon blog as the title suggests as we are already on page 5 and Q's only done one real review. :lol:

Plus two others from elsewhere. :P

I am currently reading The Light Fantastic.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:37 am

Quatermass wrote:Yeah, well, I lose my temper fairly easily when I am being criticised without (to me, anyway) due cause. I get touchy when people criticise my work

Don't do a PhD until you have managed to work this out. The while point of a PhD is that you can defend your work against criticism - if you get mad, you'll have wasted three years.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:39 am

Tonyblack wrote:"YES! WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!"

I'm not.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:43 am

Dotsie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Yeah, well, I lose my temper fairly easily when I am being criticised without (to me, anyway) due cause. I get touchy when people criticise my work

Don't do a PhD until you have managed to work this out. The while point of a PhD is that you can defend your work against criticism - if you get mad, you'll have wasted three years.

If you paid attention, I get antsy about criticism that is without due cause. If someone actually has a proper argument, I'll be sullen, but I will do my best to answer it. I was angry here because they attacked my scale rather than my actual arguments in the review.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 am

Dotsie wrote:

Part of the reason i waited as i even found the interogation for the Masters painful enough. :(
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:

If you paid attention, I get antsy about criticism that is without due cause. If someone actually has a proper argument, I'll be sullen, but I will do my best to answer it. I was angry here because they attacked my scale rather than my actual arguments in the review.

Now you pay attention - your work will be criticised. Constantly. They might even think they're right to the point where you don't get your PhD. They will be smarter than you, so you will have no argument. How will you like that then?

Being pissy won't help.
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Dotsie wrote:Now you pay attention - your work will be criticised. Constantly. They might even think they're right to the point where you don't get your PhD. They will be smarter than you, so you will have no argument. How will you like that then?

Being pissy won't help.

Could you please stop trying to discourage me? If I have an intense interest in a subject, I can commit to it, and it will raise my game, and thus my ability to deal with that problem. That is why I will take my time choosing my PhD subject.

Besides which, I have an advantage. I have, at close hand, a person who has a PhD, who has gone through that, and who can psychologically prepare me for the inevitable trials and tribulations. They at least understand the experience, and they also understand me. So I have that advantage at least.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:49 pm

pip wrote:
Dotsie wrote:

Part of the reason i waited as i even found the interogation for the Masters painful enough. :(
Was it the Spanish Inquistion's fault pip, no one expects them. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:57 pm

AHA :!: :!:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Now you pay attention - your work will be criticised. Constantly. They might even think they're right to the point where you don't get your PhD. They will be smarter than you, so you will have no argument. How will you like that then?

Being pissy won't help.

Could you please stop trying to discourage me? If I have an intense interest in a subject, I can commit to it, and it will raise my game, and thus my ability to deal with that problem.

Anybody who likes Blake's 7 is shallow-minded. :twisted:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:21 pm

Quatermass wrote:Could you please stop trying to discourage me?

I wasn't, I was trying to advise you. Do what you like.
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Dotsie wrote:

I'd say the same argument applies to a job in general. You're going to criticised on your work you do your entire life, since there's always going to be someone above you who thinks they know more than you do. People who get defensive and lose tempers easily don't last long in any jobs other than those involving shoveling huge amounts of sh*t out of sewers and stables.

:lol:
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels