Confused about publisher?!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Confused about publisher?!

Postby privateperks » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi Everybody I'm new, not only to the site but also (relatively) to the Discworld! I'll admit I've developed a bit of an obsession, which will only end when I have built up a collection of every single book and read them all again in chronological order (probably...)
I'm confused about publishers though? I know Gollancz did the early ones with Corgi doing the paperbacks, but the other day I picked up "Making Money" for a couple of quid (no charity shop or jumble sale is safe) and its published by BCA? I can't find anything about them, theres no ISBN just CN154225 and the number 1 underneath it. Does this mean its the first one? Sorry I'm just wondering if I've picked up a bargain (its signed as well, I don't think the sellers realised- would feel proud but the sellers were Cancer Research UK, thats got to be bad karma) and also wondering who the hell these BCA people are?
Nice to be amongst fellow Pratcheteers by the way (dunno if thats the official term....)
I LOVE CAPTAIN CARROT
privateperks

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D

I think you might have got a book club edition there perhaps? Was it hardback or paper?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Ohai, private.

This might help:
http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Reading_Order

(i hope)
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 pm

BCA is Britain's biggest mail order book company. They do their own versions of various books and they tend to be a lot cheaper. But generally a BCA edition isn't the same as a first edition from the actual publisher. It won't be worth as much to a collector for example. :D

I'm not sure if there's a word for Pratchett fans (apart from nutters! :lol: ) Maybe Disc-iples.

Welcome to the site. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 am

Welcome privateperks! :D

Tonyblack wrote:I'm not sure if there's a word for Pratchett fans (apart from nutters! :lol: ) Maybe Disc-iples.

I love that! :lol:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:00 am

DaveC wrote:Welcome privateperks! :D

Tonyblack wrote:I'm not sure if there's a word for Pratchett fans (apart from nutters! :lol: ) Maybe Disc-iples.

I love that! :lol:

Works for me too. :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Re: Confused about publisher?!

Postby deldaisy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 pm

privateperks wrote:Hi Everybody I'm new, not only to the site but also (relatively) to the Discworld! I'll admit I've developed a bit of an obsession, which will only end when I have built up a collection of every single book and read them all again in chronological order (probably...)
I'm confused about publishers though? I know Gollancz did the early ones with Corgi doing the paperbacks, but the other day I picked up "Making Money" for a couple of quid (no charity shop or jumble sale is safe) and its published by BCA? I can't find anything about them, theres no ISBN just CN154225 and the number 1 underneath it. Does this mean its the first one? Sorry I'm just wondering if I've picked up a bargain (its signed as well, I don't think the sellers realised- would feel proud but the sellers were Cancer Research UK, thats got to be bad karma) and also wondering who the hell these BCA people are?
Nice to be amongst fellow Pratcheteers by the way (dunno if thats the official term....)

Signed by Terry Pratchett??? Good score!!!!!

I prefer PRATCHETEERS :D
And we could have ears like Mickey mo.... NO! I mean ummm wizard hats! Witches hats?:D :D :D

I KNOW!.... a sausage onna stick ears!!!!

AND A SONG!

"Who's the great author who has lived in history.....
T.E.R. R. and Y
PR. A T. CH. E double T!

Discworld Rules!
Discworld Rules!
Forever let us hold our sausage hiiiiiiiigh!

Buggerit Millenium Hand and Shrimp!
You are as welcome as can be.
pTerry is our Io,
And we are all devotees!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh ans we could have a DISCWORLD PARK!!!!! with rides like like like like...........
:?:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Willem » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 pm

If we're doing a park, don't let Del near the candy flos machine!
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby privateperks » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks everybody for the welcomes and info, really helpful! Also loving the theme park idea and the song! (inspired!) I'm going to have lots of fun here I can tell.....
I LOVE CAPTAIN CARROT
privateperks

discworld theme park ride ideas

Postby privateperks » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Ride through the dimensions on the luggage- coaster (I'll admit it needs work)
Granny Weatherwax's broomstick ride (complete with 250 ft run up)
Rimfall (a bit like Oblivion at Alton Towers with slightly more oblivion involved)
Meet the Hogfather (for the kiddies)
Ride through a dwarf mine with Sam Vimes (the Theme Park is not responsible for any injuries, burns, decapitations or explosions that may occur during this ride)
Tower of Art Helter Skelter?
CMOT Dibblers Sausage-in-a-bun franchise next to every ride?
Vampires with Iconographs charging £20 a photo?
If I ever become a billionaire I will open this theme park with free entry to all pratcheteers/disciples! (sausage on a stick ears required as proof)
I LOVE CAPTAIN CARROT
privateperks

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:20 pm

:lol: I've got a vision of a lot of very miffed dwarfs getting turned away from the Mine Ride because of the "You Need To Be This Tall To Ride" sign.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: discworld theme park ride ideas

Postby deldaisy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:27 pm

privateperks wrote:Ride through the dimensions on the luggage- coaster (I'll admit it needs work)
Granny Weatherwax's broomstick ride (complete with 250 ft run up) :D
Rimfall (a bit like Oblivion at Alton Towers with slightly more oblivion involved)
Meet the Hogfather (for the kiddies)
Ride through a dwarf mine with Sam Vimes (the Theme Park is not responsible for any injuries, burns, decapitations or explosions that may occur during this ride)
Tower of Art Helter Skelter? :D
CMOT Dibblers Sausage-in-a-bun franchise next to every ride? :D
Vampires with Iconographs charging £20 a photo?
If I ever become a billionaire I will open this theme park with free entry to all pratcheteers/disciples! (sausage on a stick ears required as proof)

:D :D :D WELL DONE! Looks like you are going to fit RIGHT in to this place! :D

TonyBlack wrote:I've got a vision of a lot of very miffed dwarfs getting turned away from the Mine Ride because of the "You Need To Be This Tall To Ride" sign.
:D :D :D Okay that one made me LOL
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Willem » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Nanny's Bobbin' for apples... in a tub of Scumble

Ride the Teh-ah-Cups!
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby deldaisy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Seafood stand.... fish and chips...

or

Crab inna bucket
deldaisy

Return to Discworld novels