Best ever Discworld reading experience.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote::? I'm going to have to think on this one as nothing spectacular is coming to mind at the moment.

Same here. I just read and enjoyed.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Beyond » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Summer of 2007- I was at the Black sea, it was a rainy weekend, so I went to the bookstore, bought all of the Night Watch books and read them. I got addicted to Pratchett after that.
Beyond

Postby archerinwood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:09 pm

Reading a Terry Pratchett book on the way to the only Wincanton event I have been to! :D
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

Postby unseenu » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:27 pm

One night after a particularly hard exam I decided 'Tonight to unwind I'm going to go crazy' so I sat up all night drinking tea and reading Interesting Times :lol:
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu

Postby Penfold » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:31 pm

I can't think of any one single experience on its own, but rather a collection of them; Whenever a new book is released and I've managed to sit down with it and start a long session of uninterrupted reading. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Perestroika » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 am

I remember reading discworld books happily in hospital the last time I was on any kind of serious pain meds for my eye when it got really bad. they'd make me very sleepy indeed, and I remember reading The Last Continent in one of these states and continually falling asleep and having to rewind the book all the time.
but the best thing about it were the discworldy dreams I kept having because of the continual falling asleep with it going.
amazing. It was like being there lol.
Perestroika

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:49 am

Tony you can tell that story 100 times :D Love serendipity!

Typical day with a DW book comes out: go to bookshop get book... go straight to supermarket and get a few instant meals for the kids to microwave, and make sure all school uniforms are ready to rock and roll cause my head is not coming up until I have read it.

Usually its a race for me and the 24yr old to get the book and give it to each other.

I remember us not even being able to make it home before we started reading it one time so we "stopped for a quick coffee" in this cafe (yeah yeah we needed to OPEN the book!) We were both sitting there trying to speed read (but NOT too fast) and going "Ohhhhhh! Ohhhhhh! ... page five!!!" eyes wide open reading madly.

People kept looking sideways at us and trying to "casually" get a glimpse of the title of the book we were so excited about :D :D
deldaisy

Postby DaveC » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:49 am

Perestroika wrote:I remember reading discworld books happily in hospital the last time I was on any kind of serious pain meds for my eye when it got really bad. they'd make me very sleepy indeed, and I remember reading The Last Continent in one of these states and continually falling asleep and having to rewind the book all the time.
but the best thing about it were the discworldy dreams I kept having because of the continual falling asleep with it going.
amazing. It was like being there lol.

Cool. Drifting off while reading or watching a film can get a bit trippy! :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Previous

Return to Discworld novels