Bits you remember everyone else forgot

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Cool Middle Name » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:32 am

I remember that in Wyrd Sisters they accelerated time outside Lancre by 15 years. So this practically changes what Mustrum should have been like in Lords and Ladies, and Rincewind aswell in Interesting Times.
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:05 am

I've always thought that as well. Granny and the rest of the people in Lancre should be 15 years younger than those outside. Any of Nanny Ogg's family who were away would have got quite a shock when they got back. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:08 am

Cool Middle Name wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:Image

amazingly this is Equal Rites !

...WTF

Who drew this cover? Stupid German publishers, don't know who Paul Kirby is.
Well it was Josh Kirby doing the early British covers, Paul Kidby took over when Josh died. But lots of countries did their own artwork, as you can see by clicking on the individual links HERE. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Anilori » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:10 am

I've always thought that as well. Granny and the rest of the people in Lancre should be 15 years younger than those outside. Any of Nanny Ogg's family who were away would have got quite a shock when they got back.

The History Monks probabaly smoothed it out... somehow...

I seem to be the only one who remembers that Rincewind didn't have his wizzard hat in The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. I can't draw a scene from these stories without someone going "where's the hat?"
Anilori

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:13 am

Anilori wrote:
I seem to be the only one who remembers that Rincewind didn't have his wizzard hat in The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. I can't draw a scene from these stories without someone going "where's the hat?"
I noticed that as well the last time I read Colour of Magic. There's no mention of a hat at all. :D
Tonyblack

Postby archerinwood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:26 am

There is no "wizzard" hat in the graphic novel of the two stories either.
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:47 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:
deldaisy wrote:Incorrect translation? What? A whole sex scene?

Well the German translation of Pyramids included a whole extra section where the characters sit down to eat a well known German brand of soup, which the publishers were being paid to advertise before getting back on with the story. This extra part written by the translator runs for more than two pages of text so I would believe anything could happen in those versions.

No doubt the German publisher was called Heinz?

No?

I'll get me coat............. again............ for the second time today......... "Here coaty, coaty coaty.......... "
And was in the group that produced Telstar song in the 60's :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:55 am

The Mad Collector wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:Possible I even have a copy of that... (You'll laugh, one appeared in my bookshelf after moving and buying a newer copy...I still have no idea how that happened. I could have sworn I never owned a copy of pyramids before)

If you do and would be willing to part with it, I would love to have a copy. The offending section starts on page 209 :). My German is nowhere near as good as your English but I should be able to read it OK. I would also like to get hold of other nasties by Heyne such as Gevatter Tod with the cover from MacBest or the other books where they used pictures on the cover from completely different books by different authors such as

Supposed to be The Carpet People

and The Light Fantastic

amazingly this is Equal Rites !

and the double volume of The Colour of Magic with Sourcery (a weird combination to start with) which was further confused by having the cover illustration from Robert Rankins book The Sprouts of Wrath :roll:
Mad a few weeks ago I just sent a copy of Gevatter Tod to a friend of mine in Erlangen it was a hard cover copy I had picked up at a Discworldcon.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Broccolee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:48 pm

deldaisy wrote:
LilMaibe wrote::) Thank you
(Most amazingly, the german translation states 'right ear' But heck, you can expect nitpicking/added deatils from a country where there's a law stating -if a woman shoots her husband she has no claim on widow's pension- )

.... but she CAN shoot him?????............ just wondering.... you know... just.... curious....

Wouldn´t you just like to move here,Del???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Cool Middle Name » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Well it was Josh Kirby doing the early British covers, Paul Kidby took over when Josh died. But lots of countries did their own artwork, as you can see by clicking on the individual links HERE. :D

I love how their surnames are a letter apart.
Cool Middle Name

Postby Cool Middle Name » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:31 pm

The Japanese cover for 'Colour of Magic' scared the life out of me O.O
Thanks! :D
Cool Middle Name

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Cool Middle Name wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Well it was Josh Kirby doing the early British covers, Paul Kidby took over when Josh died. But lots of countries did their own artwork, as you can see by clicking on the individual links HERE. :D

I love how their surnames are a letter apart.
It's a million to one chance and we know how often they happen. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:57 pm

Cool Middle Name wrote:The Japanese cover for 'Colour of Magic' scared the life out of me O.O

I still say the following:

Light Fantastic, estonian cover (First one, not the second): When the heck did Rincewind go and save Pepperland?!
LilMaibe

Postby Cool Middle Name » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Cool Middle Name wrote:I love how their surnames are a letter apart.
It's a million to one chance and we know how often they happen. :wink:

One of my favourite facts about Guards! Guards!
Cool Middle Name

Postby Cool Middle Name » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
Cool Middle Name wrote:The Japanese cover for 'Colour of Magic' scared the life out of me O.O

I still say the following:

Light Fantastic, estonian cover (First one, not the second): When the heck did Rincewind go and save Pepperland?!

Maybe by accident the same time he accidentally saved the Red Army... and that girl... and that other place...
Rincewind is the most unwilling saviour since Vegeta.
Cool Middle Name

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels