Bits you remember everyone else forgot

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Just checked my Heyne copy: Nope, don't have soup (luckily? pity? you decide)
(and as I'm paranoid: The bit about Stibbs' ear is correct, isn't it?)
LilMaibe

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:18 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Just checked my Heyne copy: Nope, don't have soup (luckily? pity? you decide)

It sounds sort of familiar but not necessarily with Ponder. Which book do you think that happens in and I will check the English original.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:31 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:Just checked my Heyne copy: Nope, don't have soup (luckily? pity? you decide)

It sounds sort of familiar but not necessarily with Ponder. Which book do you think that happens in and I will check the English original.

Moving Pictures, after the faculty goes to watch Blown Away (was the name I think) if I remember correctly
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:33 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:

Moving Pictures, after the faculty goes to watch Blown Away (was the name I think) if I remember correctly
Yes Blown Away as with Gone With The Wind. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Yep

Ponder Stibbons knew about the vase, of course. All the students had wandered along to have a look at it. He didn’t pay it much attention as he sneaked along the corridor, attempting once again to make a bid for an evening’s freedom .

. . . whummwhummWHUMMWHUMMWHUMMMMwhumm.

All he had to do was cut across through the cloisters and . . .

PLIB.

All eight pottery elephants shot pellets at once. The resograph exploded, turning the roof into something like a pepper shaker. After a minute or two Ponder got up, very carefully. His hat was simply a collection of holes held together by thread. A piece had been taken out of one of his ears.

“I only wanted a drink,” he said, muzzily. “What’s wrong with that?”

The Mad Collector

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:51 pm

:) Thank you
(Most amazingly, the german translation states 'right ear' But heck, you can expect nitpicking/added deatils from a country where there's a law stating -if a woman shoots her husband she has no claim on widow's pension- )
LilMaibe

Postby captainmeme » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Some things I know as a Discworld addict:

The cover of 'Night Watch' is a parody of a famous Dutch painting of the same name.

Lt. Blouse wanted a dish of liver and onions named after him.

CMOT Dibbler disowned his nephew after a disagreement over advertisements.

Probably everyone knows these already. I know a lot more, but I cant be bothered to put them all in this post.
Albatross!
captainmeme

Postby deldaisy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:32 pm

LilMaibe wrote::) Thank you
(Most amazingly, the german translation states 'right ear' But heck, you can expect nitpicking/added deatils from a country where there's a law stating -if a woman shoots her husband she has no claim on widow's pension- )

.... but she CAN shoot him?????............ just wondering.... you know... just.... curious....
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:48 pm

deldaisy wrote:

.... but she CAN shoot him?????............ just wondering.... you know... just.... curious....

:D :D :D :D

The Mad Collector

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:12 pm

deldaisy wrote:

She can, but it's murder. I have to check how it is with the widow's pension if she stabs him.
LilMaibe

Postby Lyssian » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:30 pm

LilMaibe wrote:*shrugs* Guess Rincewind has had more sex in german then.

Doesn't seem too farfetched of an addition, though. In The Light Fantastic (I think), there was something about him knowing what orgasms were since he'd had a few, "occasionally with someone else in the room". So, 20 years or not, it seems his German libido was at least on the right lines there. :D
Lyssian

Postby archerinwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:14 pm

I don't know whether this fits in with the topic but there is a conversation in dwarvish in "The Fifth Elephant".It contains the word hargaa, and the conversation was about food. I thought it was quite a coincidence as the name of the owner of a fine(-ish) eaterie is Sham Harga.
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

Postby inca » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:32 pm

captainmeme wrote:CMOT Dibbler disowned his nephew after a disagreement over advertisements.

Did Pratchett get his idea for that snuck-in advertisement battle after the German soup thing? It would be just his way to use it!
inca

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:38 pm

inca wrote:
captainmeme wrote:CMOT Dibbler disowned his nephew after a disagreement over advertisements.

Did Pratchett get his idea for that snuck-in advertisement battle after the German soup thing? It would be just his way to use it!
I hadn't thought of that, but talk about art copying life. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Cool Middle Name » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:28 am

The Mad Collector wrote:Image

amazingly this is Equal Rites !

...WTF

Who drew this cover? Stupid German publishers, don't know who Paul Kirby is.
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels