Bits you remember everyone else forgot

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Bits you remember everyone else forgot

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:38 pm

(Hope this is the right forum, if not, move please)

alternative title:
Why the heck do I know this stuff?!

As with all books, games and movies there are tiny bits everyone seems to forgot about (sometimes even those responsible for the story). Which are your tidbits when it comes to Discworld?

Mine are the fact that Ponder Stibbons is missing a bit of his ear and that, at the time of sourcery, Rincewind hadn't had sex for 20 years. (the last bit surprises those who claim ALL wizards are virgins)
LilMaibe

Postby Lyssian » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am

LilMaibe wrote:at the time of sourcery, Rincewind hadn't had sex for 20 years. (the last bit surprises those who claim ALL wizards are virgins)"

It said so in Sourcery, or another book? I don't remember seeing it (and it seems like the kind of tidbit I'd remember), though my grasp of canon still has an Eric shaped hole that needs patching.

It doesn't surprise me at all that wizards get around a bit - the books drop hints here and there about past romances (Ridcully comes to mind), and the Senior Wrangler, if not experienced, isn't that way by any measure of choice or will.
Lyssian

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:37 am

Lyssian wrote:It said so in Sourcery, or another book? I don't remember seeing it (and it seems like the kind of tidbit I'd remember),

Sourcery, can't give you the exact page (as the german numbers differ greatly form the english ones) but it's when his Libido raises its voice the first time.
LilMaibe

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:28 am

Cannot find it. There is certainly nothing like that in that section of the book.

Conina strolled ahead of him, humming to herself.
You rather like her, don’t you? I can tell, said a voice in his head.
Oh blast, thought Rincewind, you’re not my conscience again, are you?
Your libido. It’s a bit stuffy in here, isn’t it? You haven’t had it done up since the last time I was around. Look, go away, will you? I’m a wizard! Wizards are ruled by their heads, not by their hearts! And I’m getting votes from your glands, and they’re telling me that as far as your body is concerned your brain is in a minority of one.
Yes? But it’s got the casting vote, then.
Hah! That’s what you think. Your heart has got nothing to do with this, by the way, it’s merely a muscular organ which powers the circulation of the blood. But look at it like this - you quite like her, don’t you?
Well . . . Rincewind hesitated. Yes, he thought, er . . .
She’s pretty good company, eh? Nice voice?
Well, of course . . .
You’d like to see more of her?
Well . . . Rincewind realised with some surprise that, yes, he would. It wasn’t that he was entirely unused to the company of women, but it always seemed to cause trouble and, of course, it was a well known fact that it was bad for the magical abilities, although he had to admit that his particular magical abilities, being approximately those of a rubber hammer, were shaky enough to start with.
Then you’ve got nothing to lose, have you? his libido put in, in an oily tone of thought.
It was at this point Rincewind realised that something important was missing. It took him a little while to realise what it was. No-one had tried to sell him anything for several minutes. In Al Khali, that probably meant you were dead.

They then go on to be attacked and taken prisoner. Sounds like an incorrect translation to me.
Last edited by The Mad Collector on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:59 am

*shrugs* Guess Rincewind has had more sex in german then.
LilMaibe

Postby deldaisy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Incorrect translation? What? A whole sex scene?
deldaisy

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:01 pm

deldaisy wrote:Incorrect translation? What? A whole sex scene?

Well the German translation of Pyramids included a whole extra section where the characters sit down to eat a well known German brand of soup, which the publishers were being paid to advertise before getting back on with the story. This extra part written by the translator runs for more than two pages of text so I would believe anything could happen in those versions.

The Mad Collector

Postby deldaisy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:22 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Blasphemy!!!!! And this was approved? By Terry Pratchett? :shock:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Oh, the soup bit has been banished from the printings ever after, no worries.

And relax: It's not a sexscene. Just a snarky remark by his libido. The -you haven't had it done up...-bit got translated with -last time you had it was roughly 20 years ago when you were alone in the bathroom-
LilMaibe

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm

deldaisy wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

No it wasn't approved and he went completely Librarian poo :shock: The German printer was changed as quickly as they could get out of the contract.

Having said that I would very much like a copy of Pyramids with the offending section

The Mad Collector

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:20 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Oh, the soup bit has been banished from the printings ever after, no worries.

And relax: It's not a sexscene. Just a snarky remark by his libido. The -you haven't had it done up...-bit got translated with -last time you had it was roughly 20 years ago when you were alone in the bathroom-

So it is a mistranslation then. This follows a section where his conscience makes itself heard and most English readers would take the comment from his libido to be a reference to the state of his mind rather than any sexual activity. Similar to visiting a property for the first time in 20 years and finding that they hadn’t changed the décor in the intervening years, the place hasn’t been done up, this is emphasised by the reference to it being stuffy in here. The phrase doesn't have a sexual connotation.

The Mad Collector

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:26 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
deldaisy wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

No it wasn't approved and he went completely Librarian poo :shock: The German printer was changed as quickly as they could get out of the contract.

Having said that I would very much like a copy of Pyramids with the offending section

Possible I even have a copy of that... (You'll laugh, one appeared in my bookshelf after moving and buying a newer copy...I still have no idea how that happened. I could have sworn I never owned a copy of pyramids before)
LilMaibe

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:27 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
deldaisy wrote:Incorrect translation? What? A whole sex scene?

Well the German translation of Pyramids included a whole extra section where the characters sit down to eat a well known German brand of soup, which the publishers were being paid to advertise before getting back on with the story. This extra part written by the translator runs for more than two pages of text so I would believe anything could happen in those versions.

No doubt the German publisher was called Heinz?

No?

I'll get me coat............. again............ for the second time today......... "Here coaty, coaty coaty.......... "
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:36 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Possible I even have a copy of that... (You'll laugh, one appeared in my bookshelf after moving and buying a newer copy...I still have no idea how that happened. I could have sworn I never owned a copy of pyramids before)

If you do and would be willing to part with it, I would love to have a copy. The offending section starts on page 209 :). My German is nowhere near as good as your English but I should be able to read it OK. I would also like to get hold of other nasties by Heyne such as Gevatter Tod with the cover from MacBest or the other books where they used pictures on the cover from completely different books by different authors such as

Supposed to be The Carpet People

and The Light Fantastic

amazingly this is Equal Rites !

and the double volume of The Colour of Magic with Sourcery (a weird combination to start with) which was further confused by having the cover illustration from Robert Rankins book The Sprouts of Wrath :roll:
Last edited by The Mad Collector on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Mad Collector

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:No doubt the German publisher was called Heinz?

No?

Very close it was Heyne :D

The Mad Collector

Next

Return to Discworld novels