Philosophy of Vimes...What a guy!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby dennykay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 pm

my thoughts exactly. goes together with the reason why vimes won't visit young sams mom - he probably looks exactly like his own dad these- those days :)

about the vimes justice, i'm thinking the same what tony wrote, that you have to deal out your own justice. it's just that that standard he holds up for himself (do it once for a good reason and you'll do it again for a bad reason) leaves a bad taste, somehow. i remember there being a big (really, like HUGE!) discussion in some other forum, with excellent arguments for each side of doing or don'ting it. what a can of worms...
I DETECT...MALIGNITY.
dennykay

Postby shegallivants » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:47 am

Tonyblack wrote:Carrot would never do such things, he doesn't have a dark side like Vimes does. :wink:

He does however, I think, have a dark side that's very brightly lit.

Carrot has a certain quality that makes things happen and that makes people do things they wouldn't normally do. He would never have let the torturers run off scot-free without punishment for their crimes. I think he would have sat on them or on someone or manipulated someone in his very Carrot-way until something happened and they received due recourse for their crimes.
Balter n. To dance gracelessly, without particular art or skill *but perhaps with some enjoyment.
shegallivants

Postby meerkat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:04 am

We don't really know what goes on behind that steel barrier in Carrot's mind. He is a good guy but what if suddenly the Patrician (whomsoever it is at the time, Carrot is a young man. Would Vetinari live forever? ) did something to/for Ankh-Morpork that he didnlt like? Would we then see the 'other side' of Carrot, that resembled Lorenzo the Kind (except the children ofcourse :? )?
Carrot is not as green as he is cabbage looking!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby shegallivants » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:24 am

meerkat wrote:Would Vetinari live forever?

Image Image Image
Balter n. To dance gracelessly, without particular art or skill *but perhaps with some enjoyment.
shegallivants

Postby meerkat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:27 am

shegallivants wrote:

Image Image Image

Well, yes, I LIKE Lord Vetinari in a big way (on equal par with Vimes). Do you reckon that is what he has as an ultimate goal? Or, perhaps he is grooming Vimes for the next Patricianship...
meerkat

Postby shegallivants » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:02 am

meerkat wrote:
shegallivants wrote:

Image Image Image

Well, yes, I LIKE Lord Vetinari in a big way (on equal par with Vimes). Do you reckon that is what he has as an ultimate goal? Or, perhaps he is grooming Vimes for the next Patricianship...

I don't think Vimes would make the....best....Patrician....

Actually I think he'd make a bloody fine Patrician, if he wasn't probably totally and utterly opposed to the idea.

Possibly One Man One Vote will be abolished? And Vetinari will be collectively replaced by Vimes, Carrot and I dunno- Moist?

Vimes and Vetinari aren't too far apart in age though, are they? In Night Watch, Vetinari is a student at the Guild when Vimes is a young copper. So we might be looking for replacements for both of them! :shock: :( :cry: :evil:
shegallivants

whoo hooo happy days!

Postby devildev » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:48 pm

wow, I can't believe I've been a devoted Pratchett fan for erm... my whole life and not ever considered looking for a forum! thank the gods for the internet!

*I've suddenly become conscious about using more than 4 exclamation marks and making sure I spell words with ie in them correctly*

I had a Vimes binge this weekend but read the books from newest to oldest and I was struck by how much Vimes has developed as a character. Also in Feet of Clay Vetinari claims at the end of the book that he, in a sense, created Vimes, which is really cool given that Vimes actually creates Vimes in Night Watch and Vetinari saves him/Keel at the end and admits to always wondering about the real Keel's cold body. Almost like standing between two mirrors and seeing the back of your own head.
devildev

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm glad you eventually found us, devildev! Welcome to the site. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Welcome Devildev!

So was I and then I joined this fun bunch of people! Come and join in. We're sane, well, mostly sane, well, partly sane well, all right, some who are totally insane will remain nameless, and they know who they are! But in a GOOD, friendly way!
meerkat

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Speak for yourself Meers, I'm in total denial :P :lol:

Welcome Devildev, I too am guilty of using too many exclamation marks! :wink:
spideyGirl

Postby meerkat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Spidey, we are the sane ones, aren't we? Tell me we are?! Perlease!
meerkat

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me too Devildev! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:41 am

Welcome devildev :)

As for Meerkat she's as sane as I am, I know that because the voices told me :wink:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby spideyGirl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:38 am

meerkat wrote:Spidey, we are the sane ones, aren't we? Tell me we are?! Perlease!

Yes of course we are (pats Meers on the head). :P :D
spideyGirl

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Welcome to the forum devildev :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels