Philosophy of Vimes...What a guy!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby shegallivants » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:48 am

Imagine what Vimes would say at the thought of people discussing his philosophy :wink:

I don't feel like searching for the exact quote, but Vimes mentions that if a good reason would do to explain his absence, then he might accept a bad reason too. This idea, I feel, ties in firmly with Vimes' very stark self-awareness and his understanding of how close to his own personal darkness he walks. From this self-knowledge stems his fear and also his fierce self-control. This side-story with Young Sam serves as an interesting terrarium; we can see how afraid Vimes is of descending down that slippery path to damnation, to the point where missing a reading may indicate that he might start to take shortcuts and ease up on himself in everything else.

Ahh...Image Vimes
Balter n. To dance gracelessly, without particular art or skill *but perhaps with some enjoyment.
shegallivants

Postby WannabeAngua » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Also love the way he's created an inner watchman to watch the watchman.
Vimes rocks :!:
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby spideyGirl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I Image Vimes too, I think he is one of the few who can stand up to Vetinari
spideyGirl

Postby flammableben » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 pm

I think everybody loves Vimes. I think all the discworld protagonists share a certain self awareness which I guess is a sort of hallmark of pterry's (have I done that right, I'm new) writing style. Vimes does it with the most transparency and development through his books, so I guess that's why he's my favourite.

I guess Granny Weatherwax is the most similar in that, but her darkside (sorry, best word I could think of) of "going bad" is much more mysterious and somewhat of an indescribable terror than Vimes' beast. I can understand why people might like that too though.

They all share it though, from Rincewind's philosophy of running away, Agnes's understanding of her dual personality, to Susan's contemplation on her relationship to death and her parents.

Sorry. I hope I haven't gone too off topic on my first post. I'll leave it there.

It's one of the things I love about the discworld novels though.
flammableben

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:13 am

welcome flammableben! Image

These threads ALWAYS go off topic so don't worry about that! :D
spideyGirl

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 am

WELCOME flammableben!

Don't say sorry ... not for going off topic... not here anyway.... :D Thats why you find tank pics in the wedding thread or .. or.. or.. nevermind.. too many to list.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Deinocat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:31 am

Do we know much about Vimes's dad? I seem to remember mention of his childhood, whitewashed walls outside because even if you couldn't afford food, you still needed to keep up appearances. And that his dad died fairly early on. But how are his own childhood experiences shaping how he wants to be as a father? forgive me if this was already covered in thud!, been a while since i read it... :)
The class was learning about some revolt in which some peasants had wanted to stop being peasants and, since the nobles had won, had stopped being peasants really quickly.
Deinocat

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:14 am

There's very little if nothing in the books about Vimes's father, however there is something in the New Discworld Companion:

Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs wrote:It is known that he was born in Cockbill Street in the Shades, that his father was Thomas Vimes and his grandfather was Gwillaim Vimes. Membership of the Watch was a family tradition and Samuel claims to have joined the Watch shortly after leaving school. However, since he was actually in his late teens when he became a watchman this means he was either a very slow learner or is delicately avoiding the subject of juvenile street gangs, where he is believed to have picked up some of his fighting techniques.
:D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby dennykay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:58 pm

re: vimes' father

IMO, in NW, there's a hint that sams father didn't exactly die, i think the quote says something along the lines that vimes asks young sam about his father, and sam says that his mother told him that his father was run over, and vimes thinks "that's what she wants you to think. what a champion liar his mother had been, too."

another thought, a quite critical one, at that. while i absolutely love vimes and he is my favourite character in all the books, one thing that always bothered me was the scene in the unmentionables' watchhouse where they find the people in the cells and vimes "...drew his dagger and without remorse gave...what help he could." how does one justify that?
I DETECT...MALIGNITY.
dennykay

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Vimes is a bit like Granny - he's not a 'nice' person, but he is a 'good' person. I'm trying to remember that exact passage and I think the suggestion is that some of the prisoners where so badly tortured as to be already almost dead. Certainly beyond medical help and probably in a lot of pain. Vimes may have helped them to die as a mercy, but as I say, I can't remember the exact bit. :?

Vimes would also kill one of the torturers without too much remorse. He knows that sometimes you have to make your own justice. These people might never be punished for their awful crimes, so Vimes might make sure they never commit such crimes again.

It's one of the reasons why Vimes is a much more interesting character than Carrot. Carrot would never do such things, he doesn't have a dark side like Vimes does. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby spideyGirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Carrot would never do such things, he doesn't have a dark side like Vimes does. :wink:

yet he's good for seeing in the dark :wink:
spideyGirl

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:30 pm

dennykay wrote:re: vimes' father

IMO, in NW, there's a hint that sams father didn't exactly die, i think the quote says something along the lines that vimes asks young sam about his father, and sam says that his mother told him that his father was run over, and vimes thinks "that's what she wants you to think. what a champion liar his mother had been, too."

Terry Pratchett in Night Watch wrote:'What's your dad do?' he said, as if he didn't know.
'He passed away a long time ago, sarge,' said Sam. 'When I was little. Run down by a cart when he was crossing the street, our mum said.'
What a champion liar she was, too.
'Sorry to hear that,' said Vimes.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:33 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
dennykay wrote:re: vimes' father

Terry Pratchett in Night Watch wrote:'What's your dad do?' he said, as if he didn't know.
'He passed away a long time ago, sarge,' said Sam. 'When I was little. Run down by a cart when he was crossing the street, our mum said.'
What a champion liar she was, too.
'Sorry to hear that,' said Vimes.
I suspect Vimes's dad actually did a runner. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:44 pm

so do I :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels