The Librarian - Book List, High Lights, Favourite Fruit

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Thanks Mad! I haven't read Sourcery in a while. :D

It's worth a reread. I read it again last summer and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Death is in most of the books. I think he's not in Wintersmith - or one of the Tiffany books and in at least one book he appears as an hallucination.

Death makes no appearance in Making Money (no one other than very minor characters die, and always offscreen), and I believe isn't in Monstrous Regiment, either (because no one with page time actually dies in the book). Come to think of it, he's not in UA, either, is he? (A Death scene with Andy would have been most satisfactory.)

Is he in at least one of the Tiffany books? I know he's not in WFM or ISWM, but in the latter doesn't Tiffany mention that she's met Death before, referring to something that happened in either of the two middle books?

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:56 pm

He's in Hat Full of Sky - very much so. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 pm

raisindot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Death is in most of the books. I think he's not in Wintersmith - or one of the Tiffany books and in at least one book he appears as an hallucination.

Death makes no appearance in Making Money (no one other than very minor characters die, and always offscreen), and I believe isn't in Monstrous Regiment, either (because no one with page time actually dies in the book). Come to think of it, he's not in UA, either, is he? (A Death scene with Andy would have been most satisfactory.)

Is he in at least one of the Tiffany books? I know he's not in WFM or ISWM, but in the latter doesn't Tiffany mention that she's met Death before, referring to something that happened in either of the two middle books?

J-I-B

Death is in Making Money and Monsterous Regiment, he is also in UA but only as a very short cameo. The only book where he does not appear is Wee Free Men.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby raisindot » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:35 am

The Mad Collector wrote:Death is in Making Money and Monsterous Regiment, he is also in UA but only as a very short cameo. The only book where he does not appear is Wee Free Men.

Can you tell me where (and to whom) he appears in these books? I can't for the life of me find the scene in MM, I don't have MR (and don't remember any significant character dying). I also don't think he appears at all in ISWM; he's referred to, but not there. I think. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby DaveC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:57 am

raisindot wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:Death is in Making Money and Monsterous Regiment, he is also in UA but only as a very short cameo. The only book where he does not appear is Wee Free Men.

Can you tell me where (and to whom) he appears in these books? I can't for the life of me find the scene in MM, I don't have MR (and don't remember any significant character dying). I also don't think he appears at all in ISWM; he's referred to, but not there. I think. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

J-I-B

Haven't read MM and ISWM yet but I am sure the scene with Death in MR is a daydream that Polly has or something...
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 am

AHEM..... aren't we supposed to be talking about the LIBRARIAN and when he appears inthe books??????
You lot are SO damend easily distrac.... ohhh look shiney things....
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Willem » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:30 am

MR is indeed a hallucination:
Polly shivered, and was aware that someone was walking beside her. She looked
up and groaned.
‘You’re a hallucination, right?’
OH, YES. YOU ARE ALL IN A STATE OF HEIGHTENED SENSIBILITY
CAUSED BY MENTAL CONTAGION AND LACK OF SLEEP.
‘If you’re a hallucination, how do you know that?’
I KNOW IT BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT. I AM SIMPLY BETTER AT
ARTICULATING IT.
‘I’m not going to die, am I? I mean, right now?’
No. BUT YOU WERE TOLD THAT YOU WOULD WALK WITH DEATH
EVERY DAY.
‘Oh . . . yes. Corporal Scallot said that.’
HE IS AN OLD FRIEND.YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT
PLAN.
‘Do you mind walking a bit more . . . invisibly?’
OF COURSE. HOW’S THIS?
‘And quietly, too?’

Now, for Making Money, I'll.... ooooh, puppies!
Willem

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:30 am

I always loved The Librarian's brief appearence in Small Gods. If only we'd had L-Space when the Library at Alexandria was burned. :D
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:47 am

Tonyblack wrote:I always loved The Librarian's brief appearence in Small Gods. If only we'd had L-Space when the Library at Alexandria was burned. :D

Made me smile so much, because I wasn't expecting any familiar characters in that one, apart from a version of Dibbler (another character who has dwindled with time too. :?: ) I could almost here the Mission: Impossible music playing as Librarian saves the books. :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:00 am

I thought that in MM Death came for Topsy Lavish. In ISWM he comes for the old Baron
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 am

Sjoerd3000 wrote:I thought that in MM Death came for Topsy Lavish. In ISWM he comes for the old Baron
He does indeed. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:I thought that in MM Death came for Topsy Lavish. In ISWM he comes for the old Baron

Good job I've just read ISWM, or I could be shouting "spoiler" right about now! :wink: :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:37 pm

:oops: sorry about that, but it's in the beginning of the book :P So not too much of a spoiler, I hope :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby raisindot » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 pm

I stand corrected.

Spent an hour looking for CAPITALIZED TEXT in MM. Couldn't find it. Gotta go back and recheck.
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels