Snuff Release

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:
Doughnut Jimmy wrote:I don't think the Discworld Orcs were created from humans madam, possibly from Goblins?

End of UA, I think Vetinari says Orcs were created from Humans. Goblins wouldn't be ferocious enough :wink:

My apologies - you are quite right, p391 of the hardback.
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Brother Wolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:05 pm

I really hope the next book will be about Nutt :D

BW
The Swedes are long, strong, flexible, able to endure the hard work, hunger and distress.
They are born warriors full of pride - Francois Voltaire in 1713
Brother Wolf

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 am

From the Amazon site, posted on another forum:

The new Discworld novel from the master sees Sam Vimes investigating a countryhouse murder, and is Terry Pratchett's fiftieth book.

According to the writer of the best-selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, and occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all…

Someone described it as Vimes goes to Midsomer! :lol: :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 am

good description :lol: glad your not reading the daily mail then :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:05 am

I already have (on the train).
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:25 am

:roll: :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 am

Must have been a REALLY short train ride. Did you only read it once? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 am

Ha ha. :roll:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:45 am

I hate the Tube...

*shudder*

It may be efficient, but seriously, it's not a good place to be on when you're an Aspie with personal space issues. I very nearly freaked out many a time when I was packed in like a sardine in the Tube. Like as in started flailing out and hitting anyone nearby freaking out. Seriously. :(

Still, I navigated the Tube with more ease than my fellow traveller during that trip. I can read a Tube map and correlate it with a London map so easily it isn't funny. :)
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Um...is it difficult to navigate the tube? :? I always thought it was easy, because there are maps with the station names in alphabetical order and they tell you where you want to go. Plus having the ability to speak and read English is a definite bonus. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 pm

I seriously hope Nutt ISN'T in the next book.... I can't stand him.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:02 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Um...is it difficult to navigate the tube? :? I always thought it was easy, because there are maps with the station names in alphabetical order and they tell you where you want to go. Plus having the ability to speak and read English is a definite bonus. :P

It's navigating an unfamiliar city (for me, having lived in one relatively small part of Australia all my life) using an unfamiliar mode of transport. I adapted surprisingly quickly. A map of the Tube and a map of London, and I could work out where we needed to go in a minute. Apparently my father, when he went to London, was always lost, especially when the Tube was involved. :lol:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Penfold » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 pm

I've never had any trouble navigating the tube although these days I walk everywhere if I'm staying in central London. Its generally just as quick and much more comfortable as most stations are a lot closer to each other than many people realize (Leicester Square to Covent Garden on the Picadilly Line, for example, is only 0.16 miles and is one of the most popular routes with the tourists). All you need is an A to Z book and you get to see the sights as well. :D

On the subject of the Tube, here are 50 'INTERESTING' FACTS ABOUT THE UNDERGROUND 8)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:17 pm

If you thought the tube was crowded in London, Japan takes it to a new level, the word sardines springs to mind and even they would have more space. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 pm

Penfold wrote:I've never had any trouble navigating the tube although these days I walk everywhere if I'm staying in central London. Its generally just as quick and much more comfortable as most stations are a lot closer to each other than many people realize (Leicester Square to Covent Garden on the Picadilly Line, for example, is only 0.16 miles and is one of the most popular routes with the tourists). All you need is an A to Z book and you get to see the sights as well. :D

On the subject of the Tube, here are 50 'INTERESTING' FACTS ABOUT THE UNDERGROUND 8)
5 minute walk at the most in an almost straight line. :arrow: :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels