oook?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby matrim » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Good ones. "Murder a cup of tea" means someone's really thirsty? "As useful as chocolate teapot" refers to something which is not useful at all?

Happy to meet you all. Got to go off-line. See you! :D
matrim

Postby deldaisy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:34 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Terry Pratchett has on several occaisions, in several books, used the phrase "As useful as a chocolate teapot". :lol:

Use it all the time myself. Sometimes several times a day......
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Welcome matrim :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Ioustina » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:41 pm

This is a very interesting question !
I really thought that "Oook" was a mispronunciation of "ok" :oops:
Ioustina

Postby MongoGutman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:29 am

ook is just the sound that orang utans make, the context is clear. When characters sometimes correctly interpret the meaning of the librarian's "ook" it is simply evidence of thought transference brought about by the librarians inhabiting an area of high thaumatic background energy. Obviously.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby matrim » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:36 am

MongoGutman wrote:ook is just the sound that orang utans make, the context is clear. When characters sometimes correctly interpret the meaning of the librarian's "ook" it is simply evidence of thought transference brought about by the librarians inhabiting an area of high thaumatic background energy. Obviously.

I think as such, but since I can't force others to share my view or get them convinced, I'll just leave it as it is. :)
matrim

Postby MongoGutman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:12 pm

matrim wrote:I think as such, but since I can't force others to share my view or get them convinced, I'll just leave it as it is. :)

"Just leave it as it is?" What sort of wizardly thinking is that? Poke it with a stick!
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby matrim » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:22 pm

MongoGutman wrote:
matrim wrote:I think as such, but since I can't force others to share my view or get them convinced, I'll just leave it as it is. :)

"Just leave it as it is?" What sort of wizardly thinking is that? Poke it with a stick!

The reasoning is something like this:
1. The librarian is a human being with the appearance of an orangutan, so it's justifiable for him to speak in human langauge, i.e. ok.
2. Oook looks pretty much like the mispronunciation of ok.
3. So what the librarian really says is "ok".
:lol:
matrim

Postby mystmoon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm

but surely in context it makes no sense for him to say "ok" all the time?
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm

I think there are visual and body language signifiers involved in there too - like when he's trying to screw someone's head off for saying for the M-word... :evil:

Plus he doesn't just ooook - he eeeeks too :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:38 pm

ooky,ooky,ooky. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby DaveC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:15 am

So suprised this has been going on so long. :lol:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby matrim » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:29 am

Well, the discussion I mentioned in the op surprised me too. After all the explanations I gave, they still think what the librarian says is "ok". Probably they feel an orangutan's cry simply doesn't do him justice. :lol:
matrim

Postby deldaisy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 pm

I read a book somewhere years ago about how different languages say "Meow" for a cat, and "Cock-a-doodle-do" for a rooster. (Yes those are the english versions). OOK is what TP means an orangutan to say. So maybe it is different in Chinese? Maybe you say meow and cock-a-doodle-do differently too? Maybe you could explain it to your friends like that.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Verns » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:19 pm

deldaisy wrote:I read a book somewhere years ago about how different languages say "Meow" for a cat, and "Cock-a-doodle-do" for a rooster. (Yes those are the english versions). OOK is what TP means an orangutan to say. So maybe it is different in Chinese? Maybe you say meow and cock-a-doodle-do differently too? Maybe you could explain it to your friends like that.

Good point, del. It never occurred to me that 'ook' meant anything other than orangutan speak. I've forgotten where I read it, but doesn't somebody (probably Tiffany Aching) get cross because people say a sheep goes 'baa' when it actually goes 'maa'?

This is where we need btlfannz, the sheep expert, to voice an opinion. :wink:
In democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism it's your count that votes.
Verns

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels