Names of Characters in Foreign Editions.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:18 am

Welcome to the site indopratchettfan! :D

I think it very much depends on the translator whether the humour comes across. I've heard that some countries have excellent translators.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29014
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Penfold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I think it very much depends on the translator whether the humour comes across. I've heard that some countries have excellent translators.

At the Museum of Curiosities recording, Terry also told of his early days as an author where the German publishers would slip soup adverts into his books without his knowledge! :? (A bit like CMOT's attempts at subliminal advertising, I guess. Can you have subliminal reading?)

Welcome from me as well indopratchettfan! :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
10
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7226
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:41 pm

I read somewhere that in the Italian versions Death was a female as is the case in Italian mythology. This wasn't really a problem until Reaper Man. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29014
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:44 pm

Tonyblack wrote:... in the Italian versions Death was a female as is the case in Italian mythology. This wasn't really a problem until Reaper Man. :lol:

You read it in this very thread I think! :wink: Crysania told us :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10591
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:... in the Italian versions Death was a female as is the case in Italian mythology. This wasn't really a problem until Reaper Man. :lol:

You read it in this very thread I think! :wink: Crysania told us :D
Indeed - but I'd also read it before that as well. :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29014
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Welcome to the site indopratchettfan :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
User avatar
Sjoerd3000
Member
 
Posts: 8797
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands

Postby unseenu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 pm

I do french at college so i have been digging around the internet for a couple of french ones:

La mort-Death
La Huitième Couleur-The colour of magic(the eighth colour)
Timbré-Going postal("Post marked")
La Huitième Fille-Equal rites(the eigth daughter)
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu
Member
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:51 am
Location: Hull,uk

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:... in the Italian versions Death was a female as is the case in Italian mythology. This wasn't really a problem until Reaper Man. :lol:

You read it in this very thread I think! :wink: Crysania told us :D
Indeed - but I'd also read it before that as well. :P


:lol: it is female in Italy, but you don't have to search for mithology, it's just that the death is a female word. every word has a gender and "the death" translated "LA morte" is female, so they always talked about it as a woman, and as things goes, since men always dictate this things, Morte is often thought of as a sexy woman in black :roll: :?

Anyway they stopped translating many of TP's books, so they didn't have to change much :?
User avatar
CrysaniaMajere
Member
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: italy-genova

Postby unseenu » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:13 pm

another thing i've noticed is that mort is always called mortimer as that word is always used to refer to the reaperman so calling him "mort" which on its own means "dead" would cause confusion.
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu
Member
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:51 am
Location: Hull,uk

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:21 pm

unseenu wrote:another thing i've noticed is that mort is always called mortimer as that word is always used to refer to the reaperman so calling him "mort" which on its own means "dead" would cause confusion.


:?: who calls Mort Mortimer??in the French version?
it still was Mort in the italian version, though Death is Morte, so very similar.. but not so similar as in the French version...
User avatar
CrysaniaMajere
Member
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: italy-genova

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:21 pm

In the book Mort, the character is indeed called Mortimer, which gets shortened to Mort. There's a bit when Death and Mort first meet:

WHAT IS YOUR NAME?
'Uh,' said Mort, 'Mortimer ... sir. They call me Mort.'
WHAT A COINCIDENCE


Death is acknowledging that in some languages he is known as Mort, or in countries where words have sex - Morte. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29014
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Cheery » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Oui! Il est morte. Means "He is dead".

Doesn't just "Mort" mean death? That would be a bit of a problem in the french edition :?
User avatar
Cheery
Member
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Postby Cheery » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Speaking of the meaning of names: did you know "Detritus" means "rubbish" in latin? :lol:

Poor guy!
User avatar
Cheery
Member
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:32 pm

Cheery wrote:Speaking of the meaning of names: did you know "Detritus" means "rubbish" in latin? :lol:

Poor guy!
It used in English too. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29014
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby theoldlibrarian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Cheery wrote:Speaking of the meaning of names: did you know "Detritus" means "rubbish" in latin? :lol:

Poor guy!
It used in English too. :wink:


I would thought it was closer to rubble or wreckage :wink:
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
User avatar
theoldlibrarian
Member
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:24 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests