Names of Characters in Foreign Editions.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Sjoerd3000 nice avatar. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Sjoerd3000 nice avatar. :)

Thanks. :D yours is nice to :wink:
Sjoerd3000

Postby Cheery » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:15 pm

For some reason, mine got all blurred. Ah, well...
Cheery

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Cheery draw yourself a new one. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cheery » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 pm

Yes, I'll maybe have to draw the whole thing smaller from the beginning. Then it won't get that blurred (I guess).
Cheery

Postby GrayGriffin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Hey, anyone have a list of all Chinese translations? I can do the literal translations of them for you guys. Just don't get simplified Chinese...
GrayGriffin

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:02 pm

You can see some of the various covers from around the world - including Chinese editions on Colin Smythe's website HERE. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby GrayGriffin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:31 pm

*looks titles over* Seems like most of those are more-or-less literal translations. The Color of Magic is still The Color of Magic, or, more literally, Magic's Color. The Light Fantastic gets translated into The Fantastic Light-in Chinese, adjectives always come first. Mort is Death's Apprentice, as seems to be the norm in most of these translations. Equal Rites becomes Equal Rights, losing the pun.

And that's all the Chinese books they have. I'd post the characters, but I'm too lazy to type them. Yes, I live in Taiwan but am too lazy to type Chinese. :P
GrayGriffin

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:42 pm

GrayGriffin wrote:*looks titles over* Seems like most of those are more-or-less literal translations. The Color of Magic is still The Color of Magic, or, more literally, Magic's Color. The Light Fantastic gets translated into The Fantastic Light-in Chinese, adjectives always come first. Mort is Death's Apprentice, as seems to be the norm in most of these translations. Equal Rites becomes Equal Rights, losing the pun.

And that's all the Chinese books they have. I'd post the characters, but I'm too lazy to type them. Yes, I live in Taiwan but am too lazy to type Chinese. :P
I quite like the artwork on the Taiwan covers. 8)
Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Hogfather is Papa Purco in spanish. I saw it in a bookshop and could only understand the death of rats :D

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby GrayGriffin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:51 am

Chinese covers are often interesting.

RANDOM POINTLESS FACT: For A Series of Unfortunate Events, not only were the covers redrawn, but all the internal illustrations were redrawn in the same style. Somewhat disorienting.
GrayGriffin

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:17 am

GrayGriffin wrote:Chinese covers are often interesting.

RANDOM POINTLESS FACT: For A Series of Unfortunate Events, not only were the covers redrawn, but all the internal illustrations were redrawn in the same style. Somewhat disorienting.

Only disorienting if you've not seen the other [mainstream?] version? Artistically I'd be insulted if I drew something that was good enough for the cover, but not be asked to do the interior illustrations, which are often far more interesting to do :)

Added later on reflection - Visuals for some writing are a pain 'cos you're more likely to accept the artwork over your own vision - like Josh with giving Twoflower 4 proper eyes so in some way it's more of a compliment to the reader's own imagination not to have any illustrations at all - or even bother with cover art. 'Branding' is something that we're all used to in a consumer society to the point of actually 'needing' it - all wrong when you think it through but of all the senses vision is king as that is what draws us to most things where a psychological or aesthetic 'in' is needed. I know the other senses play their part (and may have to if you don't have any sight at all) but eyes are very important and from a cerebral aspect is the richest 'in depth' as they are the windows to your - brain :lol: Hard-wired in fact, which is why you should maybe not be judging a book by its cover - but over a distance, how it looks is key in luring you into picking it up... and why, if you need to commission a different style cover then the other illustrations ought to go with it or it would look ever more disorienting. :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby GrayGriffin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 am

Yeah, but most of the time, if there are interior illustrations, they just use the original cover.
GrayGriffin

Postby Dandelion » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:12 am

Two - maybe - interesting tidbits about an early german translation:

The 1985 german version of The Colour of Magic was published by the Goldmann Verlag as "Die Farben der Fantasie" (The Colours of Fantasy) - seems the translator got a bit mushed up with The Light Fantastic..

In that edition, during the event taking place on the TWA flight, Dr. Rjinswand a.k.a. Rincewind, 33 bachelor and born in Sweden (though Rijnswand sounds more dutch than swedish to me) meets Jack Zweiblumen a.k.a. Twoflower.. only that in the german version Twoflower already has been translated from the start to Zweiblume (singular) and mutates to Jack Zweiblumen (kinda plural; Two Flowers) for that event.

That was the only german translation of a book from TP I ever read. I got me an english version of TCoM shortly after and had at least 50% more fun reading it.. and so I luckily chose to only get me original versions of all his work. Too much of TP's humour can't be translated, I think. And I'm lucky to know enough about Great Britain to at least understand 75% of his "typical british" (and untranslatable into german) jokes.
Fabricati Diem, Pvnk!
Dandelion

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:37 am

Welcome to the site Dandelion! :D
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels