Storyhangers

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Storyhangers

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:43 pm

MongoGutman wrote: OK, so we all see how in many of the discworld books TP takes some (usually absurd)

Australia

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Storyhangers

Postby deldaisy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:01 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:
MongoGutman wrote: OK, so we all see how in many of the discworld books TP takes some (usually absurd)

Australia

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby MongoGutman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:14 pm

haha. I wondered if anyone would catch that
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby MongoGutman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:02 pm

The whole idea of Human (or People) Rights could stand the treatment. I know tolerance and understanding of other cultures is a theme thoughout many of the DW books, (all so bloody Star Trek) but a tighter focus on the idea of rights in general might be possible.

First stumbling block of course is that rights only apply to democracies - in a Tyranny/Dictatorship/Theocracy no one has any "rights" (except the man in charge)... maybe it could be side-stepped with a declaration starting - "Lord Vetinari has decreed that all citizens of Ankh Morpork are endowed with the following rights..."
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby james.a.vivian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:53 pm

I know TP has just done a sports story with unseen academicals, but being a pom and as England is about to hold the Olympics, why not a DW Olympics with athletes from all over the disc competing in crazy events. With Vimes on the case of assassins that are trying to kill different members of state, while nobby inadvertently gets hold of steroid potions thinking it's alcohol and become as big a carrot. :?:
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby Danny B » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:29 pm

After unearthing the cube and various direct and indirect references to Vetinari's Undertaking, I'd be fascinated to see how an industrial revolution pans out. We've already gotten hints of the vast social changes driven by emergent technology in The Truth and Going Postal, it would be very interesting indeed to see what happens to AM, and the Sto Plains in general, when the revolution Terry has often intimated the Disc on the cusp of finally takes place.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 pm

Danny B wrote:After unearthing the cube and various direct and indirect references to Vetinari's Undertaking, I'd be fascinated to see how an industrial revolution pans out. We've already gotten hints of the vast social changes driven by emergent technology in The Truth and Going Postal, it would be very interesting indeed to see what happens to AM, and the Sto Plains in general, when the revolution Terry has often intimated the Disc on the cusp of finally takes place.

The difficulty is timescale really - the industrial revolution was like 50 years in the making in England... and some of our favorite characters are already past their prime...

And anyway, it's already happening in AM, has been for the last few books or so, the clacks, the printing press, the plans mentioned for a tube - AM is actually going through the 'revolution' as we wat... err... read...
MongoGutman

Postby swreader » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:09 am

Deldaisy-- What about Harry King's profitable sewage/recycling service as described primarily in Truth?

It would appear that at some much earlier point, AM had a functioning sewer system (that apparently entered into the river--and it still functions more or less. That's where Detritus and Cubby find the body in Men at Arms.
swreader

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:03 pm

Hmmmmm. I would have like to see that one.

Oh well.... I am just happy to sit back and take whatever TP decides to deal to us. :D Hows your knees SW? Getting ANY better? I hope so.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 am

I can't help it but one of the tiny bits I liked in UA was the existance of PEX. It opened up the possibility for tackling internet and the common (bad) plots involving supercomputers.
You know, stuff like seen on -The Net-, in Portal, War game, Matrix, etc. Seriously, I can't help but see PEX as HEX's evil counterpart...
LilMaibe

Postby DaveC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:04 am

LilMaibe wrote:I can't help it but one of the tiny bits I liked in UA was the existance of PEX. It opened up the possibility for tackling internet and the common (bad) plots involving supercomputers.
You know, stuff like seen on -The Net-, in Portal, War game, Matrix, etc. Seriously, I can't help but see PEX as HEX's evil counterpart...

Awesome idea! The Matrix is my favourite film. 8)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby fanahoria » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Democracy in Ank Morpork, Shoe as a politician and The guild of the watch, or some cops becoming corrupts and Vimes, Carrot, Angua... fighting against it...
Igor, Ponder and Leonardo sharing knowledge and interacting or working together...
fanahoria

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 am

I shall also go totally cuckoo and say

A musical.
A whole unique story on stage, maybe with some spell gone wrong and causing the city to turn into a bleeping musical.
LilMaibe

Previous

Return to Discworld novels