Storyhangers

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Storyhangers

Postby MongoGutman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:14 pm

OK, so we all see how in many of the discworld books TP takes some (usually absurd) aspect of our modern life here on roundworld and looks at it through the lens of Discworld. Opera, Football, the Postal service, Australia, Christmass, Hollywood, newspapers etc.

Nothing wrong with it, it's a device that works well and don't need messing with.

But what aspect of our world would YOU like to see employed as the storyhanger for a future DW book?

For myself I might suggest the Fashion Industry - although fashion is just so patently ridiculous it might prove difficult to parody - it's already a parody of itself...

Maybe it's time the Railroads came to DW, or at least to Ankh Morpork - a few books ago the Dwarfs were talking about an underground system...

The Publishing industry... Fandom?

Any ideas?
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:40 pm

I've always been curious about the penal system in A-M. We know 'The Tanty' exists, but very little about what goes on there. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:16 pm

My preference is on a par with Tony's only slightly different. I'd like a law based book, involving our learned friend Mr Slant the zombie lawyer. I like any books and films involving trials. I'm just sat watching Rumpole of the Bailey now with a glass of plonk :)
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Re: Storyhangers

Postby polythenegirl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 pm

MongoGutman wrote:OK, so we all see how in many of the discworld books TP takes some (usually absurd) aspect of our modern life here on roundworld and looks at it through the lens of Discworld. Opera, Football, the Postal service, Australia, Christmass, Hollywood, newspapers etc.

Nothing wrong with it, it's a device that works well and don't need messing with.

But what aspect of our world would YOU like to see employed as the storyhanger for a future DW book?

For myself I might suggest the Fashion Industry - although fashion is just so patently ridiculous it might prove difficult to parody - it's already a parody of itself...

Maybe it's time the Railroads came to DW, or at least to Ankh Morpork - a few books ago the Dwarfs were talking about an underground system...

The Publishing industry... Fandom?

Any ideas?

Surely Fashion has been looked at in Unseen Academicals with Jewels and that aspect of the story?

everything I think about has been done...

Politics
War
Military
Music Industry

Oooo... not quite along the same lines, but what about inter-racial breeding?
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Been done Carrot and Anguia.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby swreader » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 pm

How about the missionary work done by Pastor Oats in Uberwald?
swreader

Postby Verns » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:58 pm

swreader wrote:How about the missionary work done by Pastor Oats in Uberwald?

Yes, I'd second that. PTerry's fascination with religion runs throughout the books - and it's not surprising, given our preoccupation with the subject on Roundworld. :roll:

For me, as much as I've loved the satires based on particular aspects of our world, I've got a deeper satisfaction from the character-based books where we've seen people develop - the Watch books and Sam Vimes is the best example, I guess. They still have their storyhangers, but these are, I think, secondary to character development.

There has been much speculation about the plot of the forthcoming Snuff, and I would dearly love it to be a follow-up to UA with a trip into MMBU* with Nutt, Glenda and Pastor Oats, with a whole new species to learn about - orcs. Of course, as has been suggested, 'Snuff' might be the name of a new troll drug (they all begin with the letter 'S', don't they?).

The end of Making Money rather promises more of the same, but with Moist turning his management skills to the tax system. :( Not my cup of tea, really. But, then again, PTerry has hinted at other roads his books could travel - if you think about the cube at the end of Thud! which could power the city - could that not develop into an Industrial Revolution type plot?

* Miles and Miles of Bloody Uberwald
In democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism it's your count that votes.
Verns

Postby raisindot » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:49 pm

I agree with you there, Verns.

I find the "cultural parody" books like Moving Pictures, Soul Music, and Unseen Academicals far less satsifying than the Guards and Witches series. Even the Moist books, while one might say they parody the tension between old money/old order and new money/innovation, are still preferable to me.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby BatrickPatrick » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:49 am

Art? There's loads of characters from art history that would fit right in in Discword...We've already got Leonard of Quirm...Maybe he needs a younger rival...
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby MongoGutman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Oh yeah. Jewels. Hmmph. *sniff* I guesss I kinda discounted UA in my general dissappointment over that book...
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby chris.ph » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:41 pm

terry could have an artist and genius called michelle angel to out genius leonard of quirm 8)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby deldaisy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 pm

I was thinking he could do one on the paparazzi but then it WOULD be a one shot wonder wouldn't it.... then you would have someone like Jewels daintily stepping over the little mounds of ashes while an Igor stood to one side patiently waiting with a watering can in one hand. :D

I wouldn't dare suggest something to TP.... I like the way his mind works and love to hang out for the next suprise (book).
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Verns » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:48 pm

I'm re-reading Making Money at the moment (in the fond hope that repeated readings will improve my feelings for the book). I'd forgotten that Moist refers in this book to the dwarves' Device that appears at the end of Thud! and also refers to Vetinari's Undertaking - a subterranean network of roads, sewers, etc.

Given that there is a (sort of) correlation between DW and Victorian times on RW, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to develop an underground railway system under Ankh-Morpork, would it?

I don't know if that's enough to hang a whole book on, but it could be a setting for something else.

In democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism it's your count that votes.
Verns

Postby deldaisy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:51 am

Verns wrote:I'm re-reading Making Money at the moment (in the fond hope that repeated readings will improve my feelings for the book). I'd forgotten that Moist refers in this book to the dwarves' Device that appears at the end of Thud! and also refers to Vetinari's Undertaking - a subterranean network of roads, sewers, etc.

Given that there is a (sort of) correlation between DW and Victorian times on RW, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to develop an underground railway system under Ankh-Morpork, would it?

I don't know if that's enough to hang a whole book on, but it could be a setting for something else.

Or sewerage... I have always thought the decription of the Ankh-Morpork river was akin to the Thames before one of the greatest engineering feats ever was undertaken... the sewerage system in London.

I don't think they have a system in A-M (was thinking about the very civil conversation Vimes had with the trainee assassin who landed in his cess pit)

I could see a book being done on sewerage in A-M.

Although cleaning up the AM river would be a shame in alot of ways. I think it has developed a personality all its own.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Penfold » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:22 pm

deldaisy wrote:
Verns wrote:I'm re-reading Making Money at the moment (in the fond hope that repeated readings will improve my feelings for the book). I'd forgotten that Moist refers in this book to the dwarves' Device that appears at the end of Thud! and also refers to Vetinari's Undertaking - a subterranean network of roads, sewers, etc.

Or sewerage... I have always thought the decription of the Ankh-Morpork river was akin to the Thames before one of the greatest engineering feats ever was undertaken... the sewerage system in London.

I don't think they have a system in A-M (was thinking about the very civil conversation Vimes had with the trainee assassin who landed in his cess pit)

I could see a book being done on sewerage in A-M.

Although cleaning up the AM river would be a shame in alot of ways. I think it has developed a personality all its own.

For anyone unaware of London's history of sewerage treatment, here's the link to a brief history of its beginnings.

THE GREAT STINK
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Next

Return to Discworld novels